State Throws Out Some CRCT Tests

The results of two CRCT social studies tests have been “thrown out” and education advocates have questioned the validity of eighth-graders’ abysmal math scores as the AJC reports.

Several possible explanations emerged for failure rates that ran as high as 80 percent: New curriculum standards that may have been too vague. A complicated process for creating tests. Flawed test questions. Inadequate teacher training in the new curriculum. An unrealistically high passing score. A long history of poor test performance by Georgia students.

1. ACConservative says:

“New curriculum standards that may have been too vague.” – Sounds like the onus for that one rests on Kathy Cox.

“A complicated process for creating tests.” – That one sounds like Kathy’s fault too.

“Flawed test questions.” – Yet another problem that rests on Kathy.

“Inadequate teacher training in the new curriculum.” – I’m starting to notice a pattern here.

“An unrealistically high passing score.” – Gee, Kathy can you do anything right?

“A long history of poor test performance by Georgia students.” – Now this one is a number of things:

1. Sonny Perdue –
    If you want to improve education in the state, don’t cut the funding. I realize he wants to be a conservative, but take a break from your illegal land deals to realize that teachers and schools need money in order to be successful. School systems are having to get creative in finding ways to stay afloat. That means cutting AP, honors, and gifted programs. It also means hiring less qualified teachers.

2. No Child Left Behind –
    No piece of legislation has done more to dumb down our school systems than a bill designed to improve them. You’ve got school districts scrapping gifted programs… if anything we should be in the process of creating more gifted and honors programs in this country, not fewer.

3. Kathy Cox
    I think she has an honest intention to make schools better in this state, but a lot of the issues that have reared their head with these CRCT failures lie directly in her lap. She creates vague standards and then demands unrealistic results.

4. Local School Boards
    Like I already mentioned, gifted programs are getting scrapped in a lot of school districts across the country. And, as is the case with some select school districts in and around Athens, more of the members care about themselves than they do the kids. The same problems Kathy is having statewide is happening locally too. Vague standards and low funds met with high expectations.

5. Teachers and students
    Some of the blame does lie in the classroom here. How demanding are the teachers’ when it comes to homework, performance, student attentiveness? How many of these students go home and study, read, or apply themselves to the school work?
    Maybe its a product of the generation. A lot of these middle schoolers have cell phones, internet, TV, iPods, etc. etc. maybe there are just too many distractions in this day an age for our students?

We need a total education revolution in this country. There is no reason that we can’t have the BEST schools in the world. This is the United States of America… we need to stop ignoring the problem and finally begin going about solving it. The attitude of “why bother” needs to change into the attitude of “why not?”

2. Rick Day says:

“I do not like these numbers. They make us all look stupid. If we ignore the numbers, will the stupid will go away?”

Sounds like the Republican Controlled Congress, the teachers and parents (who voted Republican) all share blame in this failure.

No Child Left Behind ™

Look, standards ARE standards. What message is it we send the children,”if you do not accept the facts, just toss them in the trash!”?

3. jw315 says:

This is why our children are failing today. A lack of commitment and focus. Tests too hard, just throw them out and do over. …Very sad.

Our kids lack preparation, enthusiasm and determination….An obvious symptom of our state school system.

Call ( 678 ) WE VOTE 1
    ( 678 ) 938-6831
    And SEE your message and voice heard & posted at! Messages are posted daily.

4. Harry says:

And yet there’s $53 Billion locked up in the state teachers pension fund. Pay yourself first.

5. Bill Simon says:

Rick Day,

I’m still waiting on your Democratically-controlled Congress to bring down the price of gasoline that Nancy Pelosi promised back in October 2006.

How’s that goal coming along?

6. John Konop says:

When I heard Kathy Cox claim that the reason we did so bad on the SS test is she gave them the wrong test, I am not sure if she is not telling the truth or is just flat out incompetent! Either way Kathy Cox should resign!

The real issue is Kathy Cox thinks we could pound square pegs into round wholes.

Kathy your idea of every student can go to college is a great campaign slogan but not realistic.

We need a system that realizes we all have different gifts in life. I know of very talented lawyers, mechanics……… who are not great in math.

7. Schmidt says:

When we upped the standards of the CRCT we should have expected a drop off in the math scores. Only 64% of students passed the NAEP math test in 2007, meanwhile 81% of them passed the CRCT (eighth grade). So a 60% passing on math is to be expected based on new standards that are more in line with national standards. Kathy Cox and the DOE just didn’t come out and announce this before the results came back. Instead of testing under the national standard and having more pass, we should encourage tougher standards to see how we are really doing.

The social studies scores will most likely be thrown out and probably should be.

8. John Konop says:

We up the standard on students not strong in math and lowered for the top math students!

As far as standards why make it if you cannot learn how to cut hair you fail? Why make it if you cannot learn how to be a mechanic or plumber you fail? Why not make it if you have poor public speaking skills you fail?

9. John Konop says:

Do you think every student in Georgia should have the mandatory requirement of the equivalent of algebra 2 to graduate high school?

If so why?

10. dewberry says:

This is infuriating. What kind of pass the buck or give me more money is coming next?

Here is an article I wrote earlier this year and the links contained in the article can be found by following this link.

I recently paid my personal property tax bill and fully 54% of the bill goes to the schools. I don’t have any children but I pay through the nose for the racket the schools here are?

Finger pointing and blame? We are living with the fruits of Otis Johnson’s 40 year effort at financially and socially bringing positive outcomes to Savannah?

Another pity party.

Reports are proving what the news media has been reporting for some time, the schools are rough and only getting worse.

What also comes as no surprise is while vast sums of money have been pumped into the schools year after year, only marginal improvement of scores have been recorded in various areas of schooling and the youth seem to be more troubled than ever.

The total budget for the 08 school year in Chatham County is only $442,981,680.00. The difference in the 07 budget when campared to 08 is a rediculously low increase of only $80,766,995.00.

Budgeted Expenditures/Expenses per Student for 2008 $ 12,747

Citizens are encouraged to take up a collection and give the schools more money with the hopes that both conditions of violence and low test schools will be improved.

In a recent blog exchange, the question of motivations was raised concerning my interest in our Chatham County schools.

Let me begin by stating that I am an American and as such I recognize and take to heart what an important role our schools play in the future of this country. In the blog exchange an appearance was made by a person who I believe is an educator that stated they had no interest in Chatham County schools. The blogger reminded me that troubled schools could also be found in South Carolina and not just Chatham County. While I am not an educator, I don’t have to have a job in the schools to know that our country is in dire need of educational reform.

The blogger went onto state that he/she would never agree to teach in our schools “Chatham County Schools are not of much concern to me because I don’t live in Chatham County and would never agree to teach there.” From this statement I surmised, rightly or wrongly, that this person was a teacher but not a teacher of our local concern and had a very negative perception of our schools that would prevent him or her from seeking a position as an educator here. I asked why and I hope I get a response.

While it’s true I can’t cram it down anyone’s throat that ALL schools should be a concern for all Americans, I can state that it should be of great concern.

According to studies, our science scores are behind 16 other countries out of the 30 considered. Our science results show that US scores are 11 points below the average of the 30 countries considered. We ranked 24 concerning math scores. Soon, we won’t be able to say we did any better than another country unless we do something. I don’t have to be running for any office to be concerned about our schools. These numbers are not disturbing to you? I find these numbers alarming and even scary.

The schools, the county, and the citizens obviously need to get busy and do something about this. These kids are our future and as a concerned citizen, someone who is concerned about the outcomes for our future and the futures of generations to come, if we want to compete with the world then we have to start doing something now instead of later.

We are not competing very well right now at all. We are most competitive with those who share our same standing just like everyone else. Examples include the divisions found in college and professional sports. Minor league baseball teams would not be too competitive against a major league team just as a feather weight boxer might not fare too well against a heavy weight fighter. Since we find ourselves behind most industrial nations based on the test results of our kids, we are left to compete with other countries that share our below average rank.

I have a great deal of respect for educators. We need to have the best folks we can find teaching and leading our kids for our better tomorrow. Let me say it again, I have great respect for educators and all that they do and all that they have to deal with. Tell me, what more can I do to help?

11. Skeptical says:

No Bill Simon, we Democrats are still waiting on Bush to deliver on his promise that he made before being selected in 2000 to “jaw-bone” the Saudis to open up the spigots. Or does “jaw-boning” mean dropping to his knees and servicing Prince Abdullah, then turning around and bending the American people over?

12. Skeptical says:

I’m glad to see that people are finally starting to realize that when you starve school systems of money, they decline drastically, thereby dooming all students to failure, but then again this is how you justify vouchers and privatizing the school systems so is anyone really surprised?

13. ACConservative says:

John, I think our students should leave high school with more than Algebra 2 under their belt, but that might be asking too much. Math teaches analytical skills and enhances the mind’s ability to logically problem solve.

While your typical mechanic may not necessarily need to know how to find a derivative… knowledge of math enhances his ability to think mechanically.

Moreover, our schools are designed to prepare young people for the world at large. In an era of credit card debt, default mortgages, etc. etc. someone armed with math skills stands at a huge advantage. Oh, last I checked, things such as interest rates and the like fall under the umbrella of algebra.

I think our high school curriculum should require 4 years of math (which it currently does), 4 years of science (the current requirement is 3), 4 years of English (which it currently does), and 4 years of Social studies courses (the current requirement is 3). I also think we should have PE every year K-12. I think music programs should be offered and encouraged… I think that art classes should be diversified… I think that schools should offer classes like autos, shop class, agriculture, forestry, agribusiness, computer sciences…
    Our schools are doing a horrible job of preparing our students to succeed in a burgeoning state.

Because none of you have read this far, I’ll outline the desired core curriculum for high school.

9th grade
    Algebra 1
    World History
    Physical Science
    Year 1 of a foreign language

10th grade
    Algebra II
    American History
    Year 2 of a foreign language

11th grade
    Year 3 of a foreign language

12th grade
    Pre-calculus or statistics
    US Government
    Physics or another science (ex. plant science)
    Year 4 of a foreign language

Is it asking a lot, yes. But I believe in our kids and I believe in our students. Coupling that with an encouragement of Physical education and fine arts produces some pretty well rounded students.

I’m waiting on the Democrats to do more than change the menu in the Congressional cafeteria. I’m also waiting on them to show that they’re capable of putting an incredibly important bill (the Farm Bill) on the President’s desk without misplacing 34 pages (look that laugher up on CNN).

14. Rick Day says:

Bill Simon, oooooooooooh Bil Bil Bil…I am not a Democrat. I am an Independent. That is why I constantly throw rocks at both sides of the same animal.

Its just that Reeepublicans, in general have done much more damage to the country; to fairness and to freedom since 1980, than the Demolition’s have.

Nancy Pelosi has not squat to do with changing the price of a barrel of crude.

Politicians make unrealistic promises, like Bush did with ‘hunting down Usama Bin Ladin’.

You know. That kind of stuff. Don’t be an ideologue. Call a spade a spade, m’kay?

15. Schmidt says:

John Konop

I can’t really understand what you’re trying to say. What I’m saying is that we shouldn’t just use lower standards just to say we have 81% proficiency in math, while the rest of the country has higher standards. We are only kidding ourselves and selling out our students. Upping the standards gives us a better look at how prepared our kids really are, and what we can do to improve.

To Skeptical
    The fact of the matter is that this doesn’t have anything to do with funding schools. As I earlier noted, the scores from NAEP tests from the past years have been around 60% and that’s what we have scored on the new CRCT. This doesn’t show a “decline” of our schools, but rather where we have been for the past couple of years (although NAEP tests scores have been rising as well). Social studies CRCT was the wrong test that will be thrown out. What should be mentioned is that there are plenty of schools are succeeding with an relatively average or below average amount of funding, some of them even in high poverty areas.

16. Tinkerhell says:

Privitize the schools.
    That’s about all I can say as for a solution. If the gub’ment is involved it’s not going to be very good…

Are any of you public school teachers? Do any of you know or routinely speak with local public school teachers? I’m married to one. A large part of the problem is the ridiculous amount of paperwork and red tape that the “No child left behind” mentality has resulted in. The teachers are spending so much time trying to get all their secretarial duties done that they have no time left to actually teach the kids. And I (along with the many of you) pay out the nose for something I don’t use. My child isn’t in school yet but when he is he’ll be going to a private school where the teachers have time and the freedom to teach and the school can actually invoke some sort of common sense philosophy in regards to morals and religion – zero tolerance = zero sense.

must stop now… problems with school system… overwhelming… ARRGGGGG!!!!

17. John Konop says:

The key to running a successful business is putting people in jobs that match skill sets. It is irrational expectation to set up standards for students without the skill set.

I have two kids one is gifted in math the other in language/reading. I do not judge my kids as one better than the other because of having different skill sets.

The one size fit all standards is the problem not the solution.

18. SouthFultonGuy says:

It’s really sobering for parents of rising 6th and 9th graders who are TAG students and/or straight “A” students to fail the math portion of the CRCT.

One wonders what the meaning of an “A” is and what if anything parents could have relied upon to know their child had issues before being informed of the prospect of not advancing to the next grade.

I am troubled by the state superintendent’s matter of fact explanation that the curriculum is not in step with the testing standards that have implications for students and families who will undoubtedly have to unexpectedly chose to send their children to summer school.

It seems like implementing the more rigorous test which did not seem to match the subject matter being taught was putting the cart before the horse.

We do need to put a stake in the ground to get our children on track nationally, but there should be consequences for the state screwing up and some external audit of the process from subject matter experts so the kids don’t get the shaft again nect year too.

19. Schmidt says:

John Konop

The point of the tests is to make sure our kids are getting that skill set before they move on into the work force. If the teachers aren’t teaching the skills or the students aren’t learning them, that doesn’t make increased standards bad. Why should our standards be less than the national standards? If we just use lesser standards as we have been and cheering about the results, how do the students benefit?

As for your kids, do you expect the one gifted in language/reading to be able to do basic math skills such as long division? Should the gifted one in math be able to write an argumentative paper?

20. Jane says:

21. CobbGOPer says:

Rick Day said:
    “Nancy Pelosi has not squat to do with changing the price of a barrel of crude. ”

I beg to differ. If she would stop opposing drilling in ANWR, drilling in Florida, going after oil shale in the western US, and exploration within the US for oil deposits in general, maybe we could affect a cheaper price for oil.

As well, if Nancy and her enviro-facist friends would stop opposing the expansion of our oil refinery capacity (seeing as we haven’t built a new oil refinery in this country in some 20-25 years despite the fact that demand for gas has increased), then maybe we could get some relief at the pumps.

Trust me, the Republicans have done their part to screw this thing up. But it’s the Democrats who are blocking these initiatives now.

As for the schools, well, good luck figuring that one out. Personally I think we should dismantle the US Dept of Education (a big government jobs program brought to you by Jimmy Carter) and make education a state issue and responsibility. If we could keep the massive taxes that department currently confiscates, and maintain that money in the states for use in our educational programs, things would work much more smoothly.

22. CobbGOPer says:

Jane wrote:

“Kathy has got to go. I never liked her. She is too close to the teachers union and too far away from the conservative reformers. The State School board is no better. I hope we get a real challenge to her in 2 years.”

Big “Word Up” on that one…

23. John Konop says:

The national No Child Left Behind system is failing! Why would compare yourself to a broken concept? Why not ask how we can fix the system?

We have Republicans and Democrats arguing how much to fund a failing system. In business we call this throwing good money down the toilet!

Why do you think No Child Left Behind one size educational system is working?

24. John Konop says:

Long division is not algebra 2! The fact is many very talented lawyers cannot do algebra 2. Are you saying that should be a requirement to become a lawyer? If so why?

25. dewberry says:

Can anyone venture a guess or an actual total for what it cost to administer this test all the way through tossing it out of the door?

26. Bill Simon says:

What exactly does an “Independent” stand for? Do you stand when the National Anthem is being played or sung? Or, are you like Obama?

27. Schmidt says:

I’m not a No Child Left Behind Fan, but it doesn’t assert a national achievement standard; standards are set by each individual state. States just have to show progress on test scores. I’m not saying it’s working, I just disagree that the problem, as you put it, is we are underfunding education.

What I’m saying is that we should be teaching our kids all around skills in all the areas, algebra being one. I used the long division as a longshot example. I’m sure everyone has seen the numbers which show how many different jobs an average worker has in a lifetime. That’s why someone who wants to be a plumber or lawyer should learn algebra in midde or high school.

28. reedja says:

The problem is Georgia keeps raising its standards and lowering the availability of the resources for schools to exceed the standards put before them. If the state funded the education system across the board the schools would perform much better, because they are funded through property taxes the schools are not equal.

29. ACConservative says:

John, how is my program elitist? Is it because classes like Algebra sound like they could possibly be hard?

Kids need 4 years of math. Like I said earlier, it teaches analytical skills, something thats vital to nearly every profession. A lawyer may not need to know how to do long division, but he does need to k now how to address a problem and systematically draw a solution… something math just so happens to emphasize.

Why should we treat all kids like they’re stupid and then be surprised when they prove us wrong? We’re lowering our expectations for student achievement and as a result we’re lowering the effort we give them as parents and teachers. I say we look at students as all having the potential to be great… and try to manifest that potential in each and every student in the state of Georgia.
    When we start hoping for the best instead of expecting the worst, we’ll really turn the corner with education in this state.

If you foster greatness from preschool onward… if you tell kids that they’re possibilities are endless if they just put in a little effort, you’ll start to raise an attitude of positive thought in our schools. Make school fun, make learning worthwhile, convince those kids from the first day their parents drop them off that they can be anything, they can do anything, and that the world is at their fingertips.

The attitude John and a lot of people have right now is that some kids are born dumb and they’re nothing we can do about it. If you target kids at an early age and give them the attention they need and deserve both in the classroom and at home… you’re going to unleash unlimited potential in everyone.

We need a radical change in attitude. More involvement from teachers and more involvement from parents (a much harder task).

30. candlerpark says:

Where is a link to the test? Does anyone have one? I want to see how stupid our GA kids are that 80% fail a social studies test. U know that the thing is gonna be eaaaaasy! Oooooo, lets toss out the test results because the stupid kids gant even find India on a globe or know what the capital of Brazil is. Pretty damn pathetic all around.

31. John Konop says:

I have people making 6 figures working and above working for me who cannot do algebra 2 They are great sales people. In your socialist view should I reduce their pay instead of embracing a gift and make them learn algebra 2 or fire them?

32. Howard Roark says:

Jane and CobbGOPer

There are no teacher Unions in Georgia. Georgia is a right to work state. There are two teachers groups in the state, PAGE and GAE which is the state component of the NEA. PAGE is the largest teacher group in the state with 69,000 members. It provides liability insurance, legal representation and lobbies the legislature on behald of its members. The PAGE bylaws states that the group will never support collective bargaining. GAE is a dying organization in Georgia.

As for the 53 billion in TRS this money is paid in by the teachers and matched by the school systems. It is one of the soundest retirement systems in the nation. I don’t understand what the point was to your post.

More about PAGE

PAGE was formed in 1975 when the Georgia Association of Educators (GAE) and its national organization, the NEA, took a major step toward becoming a teachers union by mandating “unified dues.” This meant that membership in the local, state and national organization was mandated, not optional.

Many educators throughout Georgia were uncomfortable with the concept of forced “unified dues” and were opposed to the militancy of teacher unions nationwide. They were equally uncomfortable with the NEA’s aggressive political partisanship and the organization’s wide-ranging social agenda on issues unrelated to education. Georgia educators joined PAGE as an alternative to teacher unionism. From fewer than 100 members in 1975, PAGE has grown to more than 69,000 and continues to be the fastest-growing education association in Georgia. PAGE Foundation

PAGE’s philosophy puts the educational interests of students first and foremost. Members work every day to make Georgia a better place for students to learn and for teachers to teach. That simple, affirmative message has not only led to the phenomenal growth of PAGE, it has also brought the support of the business community and governmental leaders. PAGE is held in high esteem by both groups who share our positive message of “putting kids first.”

33. reedja says:

We need the state to fund the school systems through state taxes not property taxes.. The schools are not equal.

34. Bill Simon says:

“even find India on a globe or know what the capital of Brazil”

Are these subjects contained within “social studies?” If so, perhaps I can help identify the problem with the kids failing the tests…

35. Schmidt says:

We have been increasing funding in schools for forever. In the past 10 years funding has gone from about $5,500 per student to almost $10,000.
    If you look at the schools and what each spends on each student, you’ll find that there is no trend that suggests that more money brings higher achievement scores. If you wanna look how many is being spent in the schools and the achievement performance along with poverty rate statistics you should check out the need GPPF report card here.

36. Harry says:

The point of my post was, if the Democrats have decreed that social security is good for the rest of us, then why not for the government school teachers as well? We normal people are paying a bundle to support the Rolls Royce of a teacher retirement program.

37. bowersville says:

Howard, nobody understands Harry’s points.

Harry was against the passing of the law relieving the car tag tax because people drive new 50k cars and he drives a 10 year old car. Harry didn’t focus on the power grab by Richardson, the lose of local control and the potential upping of property taxes to offset the difference.

There is nothing the matter with ten year old cars, but Harry was talking about new cars as if they were a sin.

38. Harry says:

One problem in this country is that we have been “encouraged” to consume conspicuously. The auto industry (like the government school industry) is pushing expensive, union-built crap onto the public. Why do we subsidize mediocrity?.

39. bowersville says:

Nobody but the Federal Government and the State Government is asking you to subsidize mediocrity in the form of No Child Left Behind and these idiotic standardized tests.

Now if you want to blame someone, look up at government, not down at teachers. It’s the government selling a bill of goods for sorry @ss parenting skills, not the teachers.

BTW, I had all the STUFF ACConservative mentioned except I took Trig in the twelfth and I ain’t so bad off.

But, that’s not the route for everybody, open education up to local control, we know our students better than anyone.

40. reedja says:

Please do not give me more statistics. They can be manipulated. I guarantee you if you actually equally fund the school systems in Georgia and give the teachers materials to achieve these sometimes ridiculous standards for education in one of the “dumbest” states in the USA. Please! I visited an Atlanta Public School, which was an inner city school. I was disturbed. All of the students did not have books to use. They were outdated. The teachers had a cap on how many pages they could copy, because the school could not afford to pay for more paper, but I visited a Fulton County school, which was in a more upper middle class area the students had all the materials they need, up to date books and everything. There is even a difference in how these students perform on tests like SAT and ACT tests. Now, if so much money has been awarded equally to these schools like you say they are why do I run into this at every school I visit.

41. Harry says:

We can agree that one-size-fits all NCLB doesn’t work. Results count; the results aren’t there. What does work: multi-channel educational choices.

42. bowersville says:

Now, if anyone is interested in increasing our children’s reading and comprehension skills. Forget government and take it into your own hands. Google and get involved in your local community. It works.

It was the book of the week years ago, now it’s Imagination Library. Give it a try.

43. bowersville says:

Sometimes, we (private citizens interested in our community) have to do what it takes to get the job done, in spite of government.

I didn’t mean to literally forget government, I meant drive on in spite of government.

44. Harry says:

Yes, let’s deal with it like people in communist countries who find ways under the radar to pass knowledge and add value.

45. bowersville says:

What do you mean Harry? Expand your argument or point of view. I don’t understand “like people in communist countries who find ways under the radar to pass knowledge and add value” in the way you speak of it.

I am talking about activism in local community civic clubs and activism in the local community. Know if you are talking about some black helicopter bullsh#t, you are NUTS as I have long suspected.

46. bowersville says:

Why Harry, your are not nuts. You realized the tag tax scam was an attempt at a power grab by the Speaker to thwart local control. You realized the liquor store owners stood by the evangelicals to fight Sunday sales because the liquor stores would have lost money by being open on Sunday and the grocery stores would have made money.

You realize it’s not the Republicans that are the problem, it’s the Republican lite’s.

47. bowersville says:

And if the liquor stores cave in on this one, liquor, beer and wine will be sold at every convenience store and gas station this side of the Mississippi, just like it is west of the Mississippi and the liquor store owners know it.

And the liquor stores are out of business.

48. Bill Simon says:

Let’s think about something for just a moment:

SOME of the liquor store owners are against it. One guy by the name of Richard Tucker who appears to scare some senators due to the fact that he has been a bit of a kingmaker to some of them.

However, not all of the store owners are against it. Not all of them have been able to finagle a corner of the market that Tucker has so that he can operate his store 6 days a week w/o worrying out Sunday.

BUT, this is a fact of liqor stores: There is no “Sunday-off” of paying the lease, or the electrical bill on all the refrigeration equipment…those costs continue to take money out of the store.

I’ll bet you there are lots of liquor store owners (unless Tucker owns a lot of them via hidden LLCs) that DO want this bill to pass because they could operate at a profit on Sundays and generate more contributionmargin to help them pay their fixed costs.

No, I don’t think “liquor stores will be out of business.” Maybe just Richard Tucker’s store will be…but, I doubt that. More selling opportunities RARELY put a company out of business. That’s absurd on the face of it.

49. Schmidt says:

You can find the statistics yourself on how much each school spends per student and how much on the centralized costs. Those stats weren’t manipulated. They were from DOE reports. There are schools in Atlanta that are doing the opposite of what you saw in achievement, and with only an average or less than average amount of money. I went to a graduation for Kipp West Atlanta Scholars Academy today. A charter school with 79% poverty. After four years or so it has risen to the 2nd best middle school in the state. Some of the public schools in Atlanta are atrocious, but there are some gems in the bunch that do it with a reasonable amount of money and get good scores.

50. bowersville says:

I hear you Bill, but why are people listening to Tucker?

I think it’s because once the dam is burst on liquor controls by the state, any one will be able to sell it.

In traveling out west, I noticed in grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations et. al. they all sold beer, liquor and wine plus the usual items.

Tucker and company (alcohol only stores) are asking for government protection, without it they can’t compete with gas, crackers, beer, wine, bathrooms, liquor, hamburgers, toilette paper, lottery tickets and the other things sold.

Now, I’m not trying to start an argument, I’m just stating an observation.

51. reedja says:

So because there are a few gems in the school system we should forget about the rest.?

52. Schmidt says:

No, what I’m saying is how are some in the Atlanta Public School System succeeding while others are not? What are those schools doing that the others are not? It’s not a problem of funding if there are plenty of schools who can get high performance with less money.

53. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

As I understand it, the major problem with the social studies test is this: the standards would say something vague like, “The students will know about literacy rates and their affect on a country,” but the test would ask something like, “What is the literacy rate of Zimbabwe?” In my opinion, that doesn’t show real knowledge…it shows that you might be able to win some money on Jeopardy. They should be asking about general concepts to measure understanding, not details that no one in their right mind is going to retain over the course of a school year. Norm-referenced tests are a much better gauge of overall learning than a criterion-referenced test.

All these standards have done is lower the standards for the lower achieving kids and dumb down the gifted ones. In the state I grew up in (that is miles above GA on the list of academic achievement), we had different diplomas you could earn in high school…honors, regular etc. The honors track was harder, but meant more scholarship money. But the student had to want to do it to succeed. I took a lot harder classes than those in regular classes, and was glad to be rewarded with an honors diploma. It was a motivator to those who cared.

I think we need to remember that stupid is not illegal in America yet. Privatize everything and let the parents figure out how intelligent they want their little crumb-crunchers to be (or how long they want them to be living at home, in the basement…)

54. Jane says:

I actually like PAGE, but the GAE is a political active teachers advocacy group that is funded by teachers, but often acts agains the best interest of students and parents. If that is not a union I do not know what is.

Yes this is a right to work state, but teachers are under contract and Schools often have to tolerate bad teachers because they have a over jealous advocate in the GAE. Kathy Cox is a strong supporter of the GAE at a time when the GAE is part of the problem.