Republican Ben Crystal Represented By Local Democratic Party Official

In the ongoing drama surrounding the divorce of 12th district Republican congressional candidate Ben Crystal, the Answer and Counterclaim documents filed in Chatham County Superior Court by his estranged wife suggest that Crystal is being represented in the divorce proceedings by a vice chair of the Chatham County Democratic Party.

The attorney of Crystal’s estranged wife, Kathleen Aderhold, filed a Certificate of Service that stated, “I have this date served all parties of record in the foregoing matter with a copy of the enclosed Answer and Counterclaim […] by United States Mail with adequate postage: Joseph J. Steffen, Jr., Esquire.”

Joe Steffen is currently a vice chair with the Chatham County Democratic Party and also serves as one of the county’s six representatives on the state Democratic committee.

Below are links to the counterclaim filed by Kathleen Aderhold in response to Ben Crystal’s initial complaint for divorce:

Ben Crystal Divorce Document (page 1)[PDF File]
Ben Crystal Divorce Document (page 2)[PDF File]
Ben Crystal Divorce Document (page 3)[PDF File]
Ben Crystal Divorce Document (page 4)[PDF File]
Ben Crystal Divorce Document (page 5)[PDF File]
Ben Crystal Divorce Document (page 6)[PDF File]

1. Romegaguy says:

Kicked her out of the house while she was recovering from surgery. He should have taken a page out of Newt’s playbook and served her with papers while she was still in the hospital

2. Madelinebarks says:

Well if he would have served papers while she was in the hospital then I guess he couldn’t call and ask her for money like he did several times. What an ass!

3. PoliticsBlows says:

Two things here:

1. Joe Steffen and Ben Crystal have been friends for a long time. He was a regular on Ben’s show, and despite his politics, is a remarkable lawyer and a wonderful person.

Dead issue.

4. Icarus says:

“2. This is now the third marriage for Mrs. Crystal. In each divorce she claimed physical abuse and/or mental cruelty. Now, either she has the worst luck with men than anyone I’ve ever seen, or (here’s a concept) she’s making it up!!!”

PB, a word to the wise if you’re actually trying to help your candidate by saying the above tripe:

Women who are the victim of domestic violence often, for whatever reason, are likely to be drawn back in to the same cycle/pattern with the next person.

Even assuming your candidate is totally innocent, you’ll never win a “she’s making it up” contest with the voters.

5. Rogue109 says:

Well said, Icarus. It is a concept that many still have a hard time wrapping their minds around but is quite true.

6. PoliticsBlows says:

Icarus and Rogue. My sincere apologies. You are absolutely correct.

The problem with this story is that it demeans the cries of real women everywhere who have been battered by abuse.

However, when a women like Mrs. Crystal who cries “wolf” not just once, but three times, she gets the same sympathy as the real victims of spousal abuse.

That my friends is just wrong.

Furthermore, I am not a political operative. I am not on the payroll for any campaign. I just know the full story behind these accusations.

Weather you agree with Mr. Crystal’s politics or not, take the other side for just a moment. Since we as Repubicans contend that we are fair and balanced.

If you were a man, who was not always perfect, but tried like hell to do right by your wife, and then she cries abuse. It’s just wrong. Because no matter if you are in a court of law or in this case the court of public opinion, you will never EVER get a fair shake.

7. Concerned Citizen says:

Ms. Crystal has never hidden the fact that she has been married twice before. Nor has she hidden the fact that she was in an abusive marriage during her twenties. She has participated in a number of events for Safe Shelter in the Savannah area. This is an issue very close to her heart and unfortunately, she has found herself in another rotten situation.

There are a number of us who have seen the abuse first hand, have seen the steroid abuse take it’s toll on Ben, and were there when she had no place to go. WE took care of her when she couldn’t take care of herself. WE gave her a place to live when she had no place to go. WE gave her a car when she couldn’t drive her stick shift because of surgery from a shattered foot. WE were there. Her husband was not!

What Ben and his supporters are not thinking of is the fact that there are witnesses. Not only to the day he tossed her out in the rain but to the abuse in general.

8. celtic2 says:

HEY SO CALLED CONCERNED CITIZEN??? “YOU GAVE HER ALL OF THESE THINGS?” DID YOU EVER THINK OF GIVING HER A “LIE DETECTOR TEST” OR A “CONSCIENCE”??? ALL A MORON LIKE YOU, HER, OR HER LAWYER HAS TO DO IS SHOUT “WOLF”! WELL WE ALL KNOW THINGS ARENT SO? WE HAVE ALL WITNESSED MRS “X” CRYSTAL IN ACTION AND WILL BE HAPPY TO TESTIFY! BUT ON A NORMAL PLANE OF EVENTS? THERE ARE NO HOSPITAL VISITS FOR TRAUMA?” “NONE” THERE ARE NO RESTRAINING ORDERS? “NONE” AND THERE ARE NO POLICE REPORTS FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE? “NONE”!!! MR CRYSTAL FILED FOR DIVORCE!!! AND THEN HER KAMAKAZI LAWYER (WHO DOENT HAVE TO PROVE ANYHTING HES ACCUSED MR CRYSTAL OF?) TRIED TO UPGRADE ON A COUNTER SUIT! SO HE CAN DO BETTER FOR HIS CLIENT? WHICH WILL DO BETTER FOR HIMSELF! SO THATS THE STORY OF THE “PHIL MY POCKETS LAW FIRM OF INTEGRIDY” ——–“NOT”!!!

9. celtic2 says:

PS.—–WHEN A WOMAN STORMS OUT OF A HOUSE IN A LIGHT DRIZZLE! WITH A FRIEND WAITING OUT SIDE TO TAKE HER TO HER ADULTEROUS NEW HOME? —A YEAR LATER IT WAS A TYFOON AND HER LEG WAS BROKEN?(NO DOUGHT FROM KICKING BEN IN THE FACE WHEN HE WAS DOWN!) UNDER INTENSE “SNIPER FIRE”? HEY CONCERNED CITIZEN? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE FOOLING? THERE WAS A SEVERE DROUGHT AND NO HEAVY RAIN FOR ANYTIME DURING THIS BREAK UP? TRY THIS LINE OF S—!! IT ON ANOTHER GUTLESS WONDER LIKE YOURSELF!!! SELL YOUR BS STORY SOMEWHERE ELSE? WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE!

10. Icarus says:

You know, I never expected we would have another contributor that would make GOPeach look like the voice of reason around here.

Peach Pundit: Expect the UNEXPECTED!!!!

11. dewberry says:

Concerning the posts by Concerned Citizen and others who make statements that they promote as fact, who are you people?

Why hid behind a cute screen name or why not put your name at the beginning or end of your rants?

All of this will be played out in the courts for those who are interested in such details but I am guessing some of these presenting these “facts” would never be allowed as witnesses or that their testimony would be excluded because they lack relevant “facts” tying them to any of these circumstances.

High school assassinations like this concerning anyone and I mean anyone belongs only in the high schools.

I would hope that a site like this would insist on high school stuff like some of the discussions I’ve read lately be sent to places like myspace or craigslist’s rants and raves.

12. GOP Girl says:

Being a victim of sexual assault myself, I think I have a little more insight than the average Joe. However, just because a woman alleges or insinuates something does not make it fact.

The fact that no credible news source has taken this story on speaks volumns. The Local fox affiliate station did a 2 minute piece on it one night last week, in which the reporter said that papers had been filed, and that our campaign had no comment. That was it. Zip. Mr. Crystal’s ex shopped this story around over a month ago. Yes, BullMoose did call me and tell me that it had been sent to them. What BullMoose did not know at the time was that we had already dealt with her threats three weeks prior to BullMoose signing on to Ray’s campaign. Funny that only after BullMoose became Ray’s campaign manager did the “allegations” pop up on Andre’s blog and. When it received such little attention and comment on Andre’s personal blog, Andre posted it on Peach Pundit. Only after BullMoose took over as campaign manager did the mailers go out to targeted voters in the 12rh District. How do I know they were “targeted?” BECAUSE I LIVE IN THE 12th DISTRICT and I was not sent the mailer, nor was anyone on my street. Or the street up from me. Or the street down from me. Only key, active republican voters in the 12th received the mailers. Don’t you think that’s a bit ironic? Then Ray’s fan base on Peach Pundit start having fun. I could produce an actual time line of all the events that took place but I don’t think BullMoose, or Ray, for that matter wants me to go there. Especially after Ray stalked Mr. Crystal onto the set of Bill Edwards’ radio show last Thursday and had a complete meltdown in the parking lot after the show was over regarding who said what and who did what between the campaigns and their staffers. I wasn’t there, but I think Dewberry was an eye witness.

A Concerned Citizen is one of Seean’s best friends. I’m Ben’s campaign manager. BullMoose is (or was) Ray’s campaign manager. Of course our opinions are going to be biased. The rest of you should be able to make a sound qualified judgment/opinion based on FACTS, not speculation, heresay or emotionally filled rants. As in war, divorce is hell. May none of you ever have to travel down that road.

As for the title of this thread, Yes, Joe Steffen is Ben’s lawyer. They have been friends for many, many years. What is wrong with a professional on one side of the political isle doing business with a professional from the other side of the political isle? Absolutely nothing. And what is wrong with a political director contributing to both political parties? Absolutely nothing. SPG has always told the truth in the fact that he advises campaigns from both parties. There has never been a secret about that. And if by contributing to John Barrow it meant that Barrow would work harder to keep our army bases open or improve business with the Savannah port, or any other worthy cause then so be it. Both Ben and I knew SPG’s contribution history and neither of us had a problem with it. If it doesn’t bother us, why should it bother anyone else?

As for the yard sign issue……BullMoose, if at the end of the day all you have to fall back on is a bottom line ommission on a campaign yard sign, someone’s personal torment in a divorce proceeding, or the fact that they live 2.5 miles outside the boundry line of the district, which has been drawn and redrawn more times than a 4 year old does on a etch-a-sketch, you have done your candidate more of an injustice than our campaign or John Stone’s could ever do.

Ben and Ray’s platform is very closely aligned with the national GOP foundation. John Stone’s differs greatly in agriculture and energy. All 3 campaigns are in opposition to Regina Thomas’ platform followed by John Barrow. THOSE are the topics we should be discussing.

I agree about the high school silliness. Everyone needs to knock it off and get down to business.

13. dewberry says:

GOP Girl et. al.

As far as I know, there were no personalized invitations to the morning talk show which was held at the indoor gun range this past Friday.

I went cuz I love shooting my guns and I’ve never been to this indoor range since it opened a short time ago.

Neither Ben nor Ray brought their guns and that was a good thing.

I did bring my guns and as you would expect, none of my opponents were anywhere to be found for various reasons. The incumbent would surely anger his democratic base and my Republican challenger would likely vomit or pee all over himself if he knew of the hundreds of squirrels I’ve killed, cleaned and eaten for breakfast. Sissy.

It was a promotional event for the indoor gun range so everyone in able to pickup the show was invited to come on over.

I didn’t know any of the candidates would show up and I admit I went to try and get a little air time and I did get a shout out from Bill Edwards. Thanks Bill.

I can report first hand that Ray was upset that Ben’s camp allegedly tried to promote that Ray drove a VW when in fact he drives a PT Cruiser.

Question, why would anyone think this a campaign issue when Ben drives a Lexus? So what. Ray drives a goofy looking PT Cruiser (opinionated), and Ray drives a foreign brand Lexus? (If anyone cares I drive an imported Range Rover and an imported 1971 Mercedes 220D, and fly a 1946 Stinson made in the USA so what about it?)

Next, Ray did try and distance himself from this smear against Ben. He said he had nothing to do with it and as far as he knew his camp had nothing to do with it.

Finally, Ray did spank Ben on his illegal campaign signs. He spanked him real good let me tell you.

There was nothing more between the two that I can report witnessing first hand.

And I will put this out there. I’ve known Joseph Steffen since he moved to Savannah years ago. I met him just after he arrived. He is a very nice guy. I had no idea he was a democrat when I met him. All I knew about him is that he enjoyed playing pool with friends at the old Stoggies in downtown Savannah and that he has always been very nice to me. The last time I saw him he came up and said hello at one of the mayoral forums. Nice guy? Absolutely. Like his politics? Not so much but that does not mean I will attempt to trash him or someone else because of personal legal business like this. They were friends right?

14. celtic2 says:

THEN RAY SPANKED HIMSELF FOR NOT KNOWING THAT ITS THE OFFICE THAT HE RUNNING FOR! THAT DICTATES ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION POLICIES, AND NOT THE LOCAL DISTRICT ATTORNEY DAVE LOCK!

AND THAT YOU CANNOT RUN FOR THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES?EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE TRIED TO HAVE IT DISAPEAR WITH RETARDED PARABLES AND MIND NUMMING EXAMPLES OF WIT!

FACT IS RAY JUST DOESNT UNDERSTAND POLITICAL PROTOCOL! TIME TO DROP OUT OF THE RACE, JUST AS YOUR SO CALLED CAMPAIGN MANAGER HAS!

15. GOP Girl says:

Ben was “invited” to the radio show.

I just find it all a bit funny. If you HAVE to call someone to tell them that you’re NOT going to use a piece of information, doesn’t that raise a little suspicion to start off with? If you start off your opening speech at a forum by saying “I’m not going to run a negative campaign” doesn’t that make it look as though you already are?????

I wasn’t fooled. And neither are voting members of GA12.

There are a great many things I don’t like about John Stone. However, he has apparently learned more about being a southern gentleman while living a few years in Virginia better than some have learned living in Georgia their entire lives.

16. dewberry says:

To be clear, James Dewberry was “invited” to the radio show along with anyone listening to that broadcast.

The show was hosted on the sidewalk in front of the gun store. Edwards talked to anyone who showed up. They were coaxing everyone to come out with free range passes, coffee and donuts. They were laying it on pretty heavy and I could not resist.

Here is the advantage I see Ben having over the others. McKinney does suffer from the gaffe of both Clint Murphy and the vice presidency. Stone does suffer from the air of a professional politician/yes man.

Here is my advantage over my opponents. McMasters is a tax proponent and Obama supporter to say nothing of his liberal environmental wacko craziness. Liakakis means taxes, has political ties to both Obama and Louis Farrakan supporters and has raised taxes to finance the county’s squander. Additionally, as a son of Greece, Liakakis will never out redneck an actual south Georgia redneck.