Defense Attorneys LOVE Judge Marvin Arrington!!!

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Community Activist Marvin Arrington now is seeking to give drug dealers a second chance, as the AJC reports.

“Each [drug dealer] will be assigned a “citizen mentor” as a liaison with the court, and will be offered services from resources including the Job Corps, Georgia Department of Labor, Fulton County Housing Authority and U.S. Army, among others.”

Don’t worry if you sell drugs in your Fulton County community to children and whoever else wants to get high. Messiah Arrington will make sure that you get (1) a job, (2) an apartment and (3) an opportunity to enlist in the Armed Forces of the United States (plus additional services to be named later). Remember, he’ll make sure you don’t have a felony conviction so there will be no need for a criminal waiver to enlist! Gosh, what a swell guy Arrington is. I am most thankful that there is no crime worth prison in his courtroom! I’d thank him personally, but I’m Caucasian and probably won’t be able to appear in his courtroom during one of his “speeches.”

1. Icarus says:

Rogue,

I very much understand the lack of support for the program. But as I’ve stated previously, I also know Judge Arrington, and though I haven’t spoken to him in years, believe he is sincerely trying to find a solution/alternative to losing an entire generation of poor inner-city youth.

I’ll just stop there before I finish my eventual conversion to a complete bed-wetting liberal.

2. Rogue109 says:

Oh, you are far from there at this point (grin).

You, I’m sure, already know what I’m going to write before I do, so I’ll be brief. This, in a nutshell, isn’t what he was elected to do. He is supposed to handle criminal cases, not “change lives.” He is supposed to adjudicate civil cases, not arbitrarily throw out OCGA code sections because they are “mean” regarding medical litigation.

He has a classic case of “robe-itis.” And, if you have the experience I suspect you do, you’ll understand with perfect clarity what I mean with the title of this posting. In the end, regardless of his good intentions, the community is going to be at more risk. For that, he should be voted out. Take care!

3. Dave Bearse says:

The war on drugs, like the war on poverty initiated before it, and now the war on global terror, are wars that can’t be won.

The now 30 year old war on drugs spends $40 billion annually, but illegal drugs are as cheap, available, and widely used as ever. The war does support big government by generating 2,000,000 arrests annually, 3/4ths of which are merely for possession, 1/5 if which are for marijuana, plus has earned the US the title of world’s largest jailer. (See P.J. O’Rourke story in Rolling Stone of a couple of months ago for much more info.)

I’m no fan of Judge Arrington, but at least he’s not insane by the Einstein definition…doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

4. dorian says:

You know, I actually agree with Dave. I have always thought the governments #1 way to control behavior isn’t through criminalization, but rather taxation. Imagine if we legalized drugs, or some, or most of them. We’d wipe out about 80% of what we are now spending to arrest, prosecute, defend, and house users and sellers. Then, think about the revenue taxing drugs would generate. We could take all that money and probably launch the biggest ant-drug campaign in the history of the world. Not to mention, there would probably be enough left to put a clinic on every corner of ever street in the country.

Rouge is also right. Fulton county has a drug court, and it is for users not pushers. Sympathy for the devil is a great rolling stones song, but it doesn’t work to well in practice.

5. John Konop says:

The drug war has been a failure. We have prisons over run with drug related crimes. We must figure a way out of this problem. Also many of us have made mistakes the issue is what we do.

We need a way out for people to give back to society for a transgression without criminalizing the act. Also we must fix the drop out rate which only feeds this problem.

The punishment has to include a path to vocational training to give a path out of being a drug dealer…as a job.

We must understand many will fail but it is still wiser to help facilitate solutions for people who take the opportunity.

6. Paul from Jefferson says:

Apples, oranges, grapefruit or whatever in comparing those “wars”, Dave. Poverty is a matter of definition (“the poor will always be with us’) and drugs (like Prohibition) involve a choice by the user, but terrorists are out to kill you if you do not “submit” and give up your freedom in order to live as they dictate.

7. Rick Day says:

Rogue, the judge has the power to judge laws as well as law breakers. I applaud this man for seeking alternatives to wholesale warehousing of ‘dope dealers. Most of the ‘dope dealers’ in this judges court are SMALL TIME, m’kay? The FEDS get the nasty ones.

Your snide comment regarding ‘selling to our kids’ is inflammatory, and right out of the pages of the Drug Warrior Handbook ‘o Propaganda ™.

Quit fomenting distortions; it makes you look the bitter white fool.

Let me give you a clue, Bucky: KIDS DON’T HAVE MONEY. If a youth purchases drugs, it is typically either from a sibling, or a peer.

Ditto to Paul from Jefferson regarding the scary hairy terrorists who are ‘all out to git us, y’all!’

Save that crap for the upcoming McCain scare commercials, m’kay?

Arrington is a good man. He has gone farther than you have, so when you become his PEER you have the cred’s to criticize.

Otherwise, find some other black man to pick on, m’kay?

8. StevePerkins says:

Rogue, you started off as the right-wing version of SpaceyG (only a bit MORE silly and shrill)… and lately you’ve morphed into a full-blown GOPeach with posting privileges. When I agree with you, I wish I didn’t… and when I disagree, I can’t even find the motivation to bother responding anymore.

9. StevePerkins says:

It’s also cute how Peach Pundit routinely criticizes judges, about once a week or so… but this is the first time I’ve seen someone bother to post a photograph of the specific judge. Huh, weird…

10. John Konop says:

StevePerkins

It is very unfair to compare Rogue109 to Spacey. I have not always agreed with Rogue yet he will debate his position with logic.

11. SpaceyG says:

Yeah, ask Rogue to post a picture of himself. Or even his name. Like that’ll ever happen. I’m beginning to think he was a (failed) prosecutor in a previous life. That or a grocery store bagger.

12. drjay says:

didn’t judges use always give folks the “opportunity” to enlist in the armed forces–“o.k. son, this is the 2nd time i’ve seen you in here–i don’t care if it was just a joy ride–you stole someones car–i can put you away for 10 years–and i’m thinking about doing it–of course there is a recruiting office right across the street–maybe if you’d rather i’ll go let you talk to sgt. smith and see if he can help you out a little…”

13. StevePerkins says:

Sorry about that, Konop… I must have missed all the eloquent Aristotelian syllogisms in Rogue’s post above. I guess they’re lurking right behind all the ad hominem attacks, the hyperbole, and and race-baiting.

14. dorian says:

Wow Rick. You applaud judges for not following the law. That is a super philosophy. What if he were putting all drug dealers in jail regardless of how many prior they had? Or putting them in for longer terms than the law allows? Would you still applaud them?

Applauding judges for legislating from the bench is an awfully slippery slope, and it can cut both ways. He may be a great man. From what I’ve seen of him, he genuinely cares and that is an exceptionally rare thing.

Then again, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

15. Demonbeck says:

If he wants to place the blame properly, he should jail the violators and their parents for the crime.

What? Isn’t that solution just as arbitrary as his?

16. The Comma Guy says:

If some of you spent time in his courtroom as an attorney trying to handle a case (criminal or civil), you might be so quick to defend him.

17. dorian says:

I’ve never been in his court Comma. Is the inference that he is better or worse? I would give a days worth of billable if he’d hire Cosby to be his bailiff for a day.

18. Rogue109 says:

Hey, all! I was in court this morning and only now have had an opportunity to briefly skim over the comments above. Sorry for the delay. I’m probably not going to touch on all the points above, so I apologize in advance.

I should start by saying that I, too, vacillate between continuing the current effort to eliminate drug use and the more libertarian philosophy of regulation for the distribution and sale of these awful substances. Whatever my position, though, it is the law now that is controlling. That’s why moves like Arrington continue to frustrate me. That he believes he can arbitrarily ignore the intentions of the General Assembly and the duties of his job is astounding.

Granted, I sometimes feel that the General Assembly should be ignored, too (grin)! But I can’t do that because I follow the law. We can’t as a society just decide what laws we are going to follow and what laws we are going to ignore. Is the “War On Drugs” crazy? Maybe! Is it the job of a Superior Court Judge to reinvent himself as a community activist who without authority creates his own “Job Corps”? Absolutely not. If you want to change the law, the place to do that is in the General Assembly, not in the courtroom. It sure won’t be easy and it might take time, but that is how we are supposed to do things. Ultimately, an “end around” to the courts will only serve to harm us in the future.

It is super that Arrington “cares” and “wants to do good.” He can do that by having more community outreach programs with Cosby, et. al. away from the bench. His courtroom is not a social experiment where he can tinker.

Now, a couple of minor points I wanted to touch upon:

1. (The Judge suggesting that enlisting will take care of a pending case): Yes, that used to happen, but it is now illegal. Besides, if you are on probation, no recruiter can even have you take your ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) or head for your MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) medical testing. That’s why Arrington is going to take cases, place them on “dead docket” and then allow his cadre of service providers to swarm in. If he doesn’t like how it’s going, then he’ll take the case off of the dead docket. Meanwhile, the prosecution is left hanging around waiting for what whim motivates the Judge day to day.

2. (Posting Arrington’s photo): Come on, ya’ll. I post his photo and am accused of being bigoted? That is simply a foolish argument. I’m pretty much the only poster here who hand codes the HTML to throw up some photos and add a little photography to the main page. Did anyone recall the photo of the white attorney which I posted in the last week? And speaking of, I wish someone would notice that whenever I put up a URL link for Glenn Richardson, that it connects to a darn picture of Boss Hogg. For Cagle, it connects to a photo of Woody from Cheers, mixing a drink. At least I thought it was hilarious (grin).

3. (SpaceyG): Yes, I used to be a prosecutor. I am no longer one because I had to leave or continue to suffer health problems from the tremendous stress that I put on myself defending the community and victims of crime. And, guess what: the majority of those victims who I fought for were (1) female and (2) black. GASP!!! Something doesn’t compute…Rogue109 cared about poor black women?!?!? Good Lord, that must be one of the signs of the Apocalypse! I have done more good for people and continue to help people now that I am out of prosecution with my time and free help (did Rogue109 say he helps poor black women and others for FREE!??!) than you can possibly imagine. Why should I let anyone here know who I am (not even Erick knows, BTW). What’s the point? So you can savage me even more? No, thanks. My good karma pot is quite full and I am loving life. Go ahead and think your own resume is so much better and that I am small; it doesn’t matter. But, please, there is no need for you and others to keep suggesting I am bigoted or racist. Nothing could be further from the truth. You could ask the black women I used to date, as well, but I’d rather not have them yelled at by you. (OHMYGOD, Rogue109 has dated black women?!?!? Is this an alternate dimension?)

Back to the main issue here: I have no problem with second chances. I have no problem with people reforming themselves and have helped many do so, myself. I do have a problem with Judges like Arrington thinking that their job is to convert the court into, as mentioned above, a social experiment.

Okay, I’m pretty much done with this topic so I’m outa here. Feel free to resume calling me a racist and suggesting I’m a failure.

Ya’ll take care!

19. Gag Halfrunt says:

Me and the rest of my AA group want to know where to sign up to be a citizen mentor.

20. The Comma Guy says:

I hate it when I drop a word – I meant that folks would NOT be so willing to defend him if they had to spend time in his court as litigants.