I don’t really see this helping him

Soon to be former Congressional candidate Bill Gillespie has decided to attack John McCain’s military record. Surely there are other avenues more worthy of attack than his military record.

Gillespie noted that McCain was the son and grandson of admirals and called him part of the “Navy royalty.”

“Admirals’ sons,” Gillespie said, unopposed for the Democratic nomination in the 1st Congressional District held by Republican Rep. Jack Kingston, “were treated like royalty. They were privileged people. They were given a silver spoon. Their careers were prepared for them.”

Gillespie, a former Army officer who served in Iraq, said McCain was the kind of admiral’s son who became a “maverick.”

McCain, Gillespie added, was “somebody who needed to stand out, someone that needed to draw attention to themselves and … was usually out for themselves.”

Yes, those years in the Hanoi Hilton were all about McCain.

I somehow don’t think this rhetoric is going to sell real well in GA-01, given the number of soldiers and sailors that live there. Gillespie may be a veteran himself, but this isn’t the way to really stand out.

1. Goldwater Conservative says:

I think there are a couple “soon to be former candidates” in GA congressional elections. The solvency of Bobby Saxon’s campaign is waining (10th district)…and supposedly he is participating in a debate this week or next. (If anybody has the details I would like to know.)
    Bud Gammon and Jeff Scott have nothing going on and nothing going for them.

Why did these guys volunteer for the public “tar and feathering” that they are going to face? They have to be bat sh#t crazy to think that they have a chance at performing higher than the democratic base!

Same goes for all those GOPers in the 12th and Honeycutt in the 13th.

2. AlanR says:

This is an unforced error that demonstrates that Gillespie is just not a viable candidate. This is showing signs of being a very volatile year where just standing around and not being the incumbent may get you somewhere. To go out of your way to denigrate the service of someone like McCain is just stupid. Gillespie is no Travis Childers.

3. HollyJ says:

The article was in the savannah morning news this morning. In the rest of the article Gillespie said that “his heart grieves” for the suffering POW. For the most part I agree with Gillespie. I am a Navy Veteran and know the “Navy Royalty” type very well and most of them are the sons of admirals. It should also be noted that there was a letter to the editor today basically saying the same thing. Don’t know if it was from the campaign or not but it did seem odd the the newspaper would run that letter to the editor today. I usually eat lunch in Johnson Square so I listened to what he had to say. It was the first time I heard him speak it wasn’t that bad of a speech. He made some good points about McCain not supporting the 21st Century G.I. Bill of Rights and how he never needed anything like that b/c of his families background. He never metioned McCain’s time in Vietnam. I am not saying he should of said Navy Royalty but I think that there are a few navy veterans who read this and they will agree that most of the admirals kids a nothing more than ring knockers and that’s about it. It was a great day down here yesterday and I should have been at the beach.

4. Skeptical says:

Oh yes, let’s not say anything about a Vietnam Veteran’s service…unless of course you’re a Democrat, then it is perfectly fine to mock/swiftboat them on a national level.

Man, you guys can dish it out but whine like children at the first sign of having to take it.

5. Demonbeck says:

The difference, Skeptical, between Kerry’s service and Gore’s service on the battlefield and McCain’s service on the battlefield is that while the former were living in luxury and safety on an American base, John McCain was living in the penthouse suite of the Hanoi Hilton.

While Kerry was returning his medals via air mail to the US Capitol, John McCain was still ordering room service from Jane Fonda at the POW camp.

6. moocher says:

“most of the admirals kids a nothing more than ring knockers and that’s about it.”

If this is true, why would he be idiotic enough to say it about McCain. The man spent 5 1/2 years in a POW camp. Read this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain if you want to learn about the pain and torture he endured. It was real life-threatening torture, not the pretend, fraternity-hazing kind everyone cries about now.

Of course some of the liberal folks like Spacey don’t have enough empathy to understand what he went through. Their idea of torture is Starbucks running out of copies of the New York Times.

7. moocher says:

I’ve always loved this response McCain had during his first Congressional campaign to being called a carpetbagger. I think is silenced the issue.

Listen, pal. I spent 22 years in the Navy. My father was in the Navy. My grandfather was in the Navy. We in the military service tend to move a lot. We have to live in all parts of the country, all parts of the world. I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a nice place like the First District of Arizona, but I was doing other things. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi.