It’s ALL Georgia. It’s All Good.

logo.png

Let’s celebrate the new re-design of the Georgia Podcast Network (wow!) with a listen to Episode #17  of the Georgia Politics Podcast. Topics on #17 include:

• Keith Gross in the 80th State House District
  • Why are GA Democrats doing so poorly when national party is doing so well?
  • Sonny Perdue, Casey Cagle, and Sunday Sales
  • Seatbelt Laws

This episode’s panelists are:

• Joseph G of Dora-Blog
  • Catherine Smith of Blog for Democracy
  • Jen Brock of Blog for Democracy
  • Kimberly Henderson
  • Griftdrift of Drifting through the Grift
  • 18 comments

1. OK Spacey.

You tricked me.

I sat and listened to that pod cast pabulum you posted about Mike Jacobs. Dear, after weeks rantings against the Georgia Gang, I thought you’d put up something competitive to GA Gang.

But that commentary was flat, boring, and worst of all ignorant.

These folks just talked about what they had read on Peach Pundit… in fact, Peach Pundit was literally their only specific source of information.

These four then actually debated why an incumbent (Mike Jacobs) would bother to file a residency challenge against a challenger since Jacobs is an incumbent. (uh…are you kidding me?)

And then, the four roundtablers rubbed their collective chins, nodding in unanimous agreement that Jacobs should have waited until October to file this, with one asking aloud, “why now? Why not in October when voters will remember?”

These folks had not taken two minutes to learn or understand basic law: all legal residency challenges MUST be filed within 10 business days of qualifying. Residency challenges cannot be filed after that… and certainly not in October.

The podcasters then second-guessed Keith Gross’s “professional consultants” (come on–name them by name — it’s Maddog Consulting), wondering why they hadn’t vetted their client better on the the residency problem — even though, the liberal podcasters quickly insisted, there was no problem at all.

These folks (two or three of them from Blog for Democratcy) were behind the times.

2. Rusty says:

Mark,
      I know you’re very disappointed that the keystone cops couldn’t make anything stick to Mr. Jacobs’ opponent. No need to get a bee in your bonnet about it.

The host Joseph tries to invite conservatives/Republicans on the show, but they don’t seem to want to show up for some reason, though they do occasionally. I would agree that the show benefits when there is a broad mixture of perspectives, so consider this an open invite to participate if you think the commentary would benefit from your searing wit and insight.

3. Rusty,

Thanks for the open email. At least it was current commentary.

But I think you missed the point, entirely.

I don’t even know Mike Jacobs — I’ve met him maybe once.

The issue, according to the complaint, is that Mr. Gross holds a current Florida drivers license. Over this weekend, he has since apparently denied this. But according to the state of Florida he has a current Florida drivers license (as of May 8th, 2008).

Further, Mr. Gross apparently only registered to vote in the district on November 7th, 2007. Prior to that date, he was registered to vote in Florida. According to the State of Georgia, Mr. Gross has never voted in this district prior to February 5th of this year.

According to Georgia law, all legislative candidates must be a resident of the district for one year, and a resident of the State of Georgia for “at least two years immediately preceding the date of the election.”

Further, he was an owner-operator of a restaurant in Gaithersburg, Maryland in 2006. He must have had a heck of a commute from Georgia.

In his defense, he no longer is an owner-operator of the restaurant, and could have moved to Georgia afterwards. But that still doesn’t explain the Florida drivers license or the fact that he didn’t register to vote in Georgia until November 2007.

Gross may or may not win a residency challenge. But it is pretty compelling evidence.

4. Interested Observer says:

I don’t understand why the Democratic Party decided to nominate some boy toy to run in the most important race of year.

This kid has a no visible source of income and no job or career. He is rumored to be a millionaire, but he drives to Miami to buy a used car? He made his first million dollars at age 15, yet he had to work in his Steakhouse in Maryland? Then he didn’t have the money to keep the place open? This kid is supposed to be some business tycoon, yet he allows his mother to live in Conyers, GA?

None of this makes any sense whatsoever.

Democrats should call on Jane Kidd to resign as chair of the Democratic Party if this is the best quality opponent she could find to run against Mike Jacobs.

(678-278-2008 is the number of the Democratic Party of Georgia)

5. Rusty says:

But I think you missed the point, entirely.

Well, I’ve learned at Peach Pundit you typically have to address the subtext of what someone says before you address their complaint directly. So, correct me if I’m wrong, but my interpretation of the subtext of this comment (emphasis mine):

…is that Mr. Gross is getting a slap on the wrist from the panel because they’re liberals and want to put a positive spin on it. Again, correct me if I’m off base here, not trying to put words in anyone’s mouth.

So, my response to that was to note that the host invites conservatives and Republicans (including several Peach Pundit front pagers) to participate, and for the most part they choose not to. This is sort of like when a reporter writes “so-and-so declined to comment.” If someone is given the opportunity to comment and declines it, but then complains that their viewpoint wasn’t presented, it seems like a pretty silly complaint.

As far as whether the complaint has merit, I know that Mr. Gross claims he can present tax records that demonstrate he’s been a resident for over two years. I have yet to see them, but then, I wasn’t on the panel either.

6. Harry says:

Maybe – since there appears to be some question – he could post those tax records on the internet, so we could all have a look.

7. Harry says:

I guess he must have timely filed his 2006 and 2007 Georgia income tax returns, for example (for 2007 he would have needed to be a full-year resident.) It would also be nice to see his car tag receipts from inception. Maybe his apartment lease would help as well?

8. Rusty,

That was a well-written response.

I think on some level you are correct — that the subtext of my point was how quickly so many Democrats reject any potential wrong-doing by their members and candidates.

I also hope that in the future when we’re asked to listen to a pod cast, that there is more substance than on what we spent time hearing on this one.

A little prep time by the panelists on their topics would be nice. I enjoy hearing swapping ideas from folks I don’t agree with, which is why most of us are here on PP. But I’m asking for a bit more substance than re-reading press releases from Keith’s campaign.

Again, he may or may not win this residency challenge. I have no idea. But the complaint is at least compelling enough for a realistic investigation.

9. griftdrift says:

Mark,

I’ll admit I only got into town a few hours before the recording so you will have to forgive me for not adequately prepping. However I did read as much as I could about this strange little story. Hell, when I first saw the topics I couldn’t even remember who Keith Gross was. How’s that for name recognition?

As one of the non-Democrat panelists my point of view was it seemed a strange move by the Jacobs camp. Why acknowledge a challenger who frankly has little chance? Now after 24 hours of rumination I’ve come up with a theory. More on that at my place a little later.

As far as the timing, I don’t think anyone actually addressed that residency challenges have to be in ten days. The timing comments were in context of what does this do for the campaign in the fall. At the time I thought nothing but now I think I’m wrong. Like I said more later.

As far as the entertainment quotient with all thing internet YMMV. But thanks for listening.

10. Rusty says:

A little prep time by the panelists on their topics would be nice.

If being off-base on one point over the course of a half-hour conversation indicated a gross lack of preparation in general, then I think we’d all have a lot of explaining to do over the course of our lives. But thanks for pointing out the error.

As for substance/boredom/flatness/reading press releases/etc., by all means, be a panelist, and keep that sort of tomfoolery in check. I agree that things are a lot more interesting when people don’t agree on discussion topics.

Email me at [email protected] and I’ll put you on the mailing list for the next recording. That goes for anyone else reading as well who thinks a particular viewpoint isn’t being presented.

11. Amber says:

As far as the entertainment quotient with all thing internet YMMV

Indeed! I thought it was the best episode of the GA Politics Podcast thus far, and I was highly entertained.

12. Will Hinton says:

All this talk about whether or not Keith Gross is a Georgia resident is really beside the point. The bigger issue that no one has been bringing up is that Keith Gross has NOT been involved in the community and the district in any substantial manner prior to deciding to run for public office. As a citizen of his district, that matters. I may disagree with Chris Huttman on some issues, but Chris is a great example of a candidate who has proven a commitment to his district, knows the district, and knows the people.

As far as I can tell, the only reason that Keith Gross is the Democratic nominee is because he has deep pockets. I’m not naive enough to think that money doesn’t matter, but I am naive (idealistic) enough to believe that money isn’t everything.

13. Amber says:

On the other hand, when people aren’t at each other’s throats hashing out the basics of each “side” of an argument, there’s finally the opportunity to dig into an issue in more depth instead of just listening to people fling poo.

(I can’t believe I’m commenting on PP!)

14. SpaceyG says:

Sorry to let you down, Mark. I couldn’t be there for the roundtable that evening. Amber, stop making sense. This is surely not the blog for that!

15. Rusty says:

Yeah, not every argument has two legitimate “sides” to it. Where was it I read that the idea of every argument being a dichotomy in American culture is the product of white liberal guilt? Probably wasn’t here.

And Will, I’ll have to listen to the podcast again, but I seem to remember the notion of Gross as carpetbagger was discussed. If it’s not in the podcast, I know it was discussed before the recording.

While I agree with you that people don’t really have a reason to vote for him given his limited community involvement to date, it hardly makes him unique among political candidates.

16. Actually Rusty, it does make him unique.

Most people who run for office have lived in their district for a few years, know how to drive on the local streets without using Mapquest, have paid a property tax bill in the district, have joined a civic club other than a political advocacy group (civic meaning Kiwanis, PTA, Rotary, a homeowners association in the district – SOMEthing).

17. Rusty says:

There are all sorts of unsubstantiated rumors floating around about the Speaker not living in his district anymore. One I heard is that he’s living in Earl Ehrhart’s basement, far away from his district.

Of course, the rumors have about as much substance (I know you like that word) to date as the rumors about Mr. Gross.

I don’t disagree that Mr. Gross’ only credential is that he has enough money to run, and that he isn’t a very strong candidate. But I just don’t buy that that alone is somehow unique. A lot of neophytes who can’t even spell Kiwani and who only know rotary as how their grandma’s phones work qualify for office.