Well that clears it up…

It’s not Curious George it’s Satisfied Fred!

Watch Marietta bar owner Mike Galanos tried to explain himself on CNN:

Hat Tip: Creative Loafing.

By the way, I couldn’t find anything about Satisfied Fred using Google.

1. Satisfied Fred is a popular character who teaches children that they can accomplish anything in life as long as they have enough potassium in their diet.

He’s certainly no racist.

(note: the CL link in the post is to a dead blog)

2. Tea Party says:

Who is Mike Galanos?

Folks what we see here is going to be repeated ad infinitum throughout the Land.

America is going to be forced to deal with uncomfortable truths, issues, and feelings. It has already started.

Democracy is neither pretty nor easy.

3. EAVDad says:

Tea Party: You’re right. Sad, but true.

Demonbeck:NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP, NEVER GONNA LET YOU DOWN

Satisfied Fred: Where are you?

4. EAVDad says:

Bill, a lesson for you — Do a Google search on any cartoon character and you’ll find it. Even old cartoon characters.

And as the father of two young children, I’ve seen Curious George many times — and the monkey on that shirt is Curious George.

Bill, do yourself a favor: Don’t be in the position of defending this Marietta Moron.

5. Bill Simon says:

EAV,

Did you happen to listen to him talking? He stated that IF Colin Powell was runing, he would vote for him.

A true “racist” hates ALL members of a race, not just the left-wing ones.

Stop acting like that half-witted news guy who thinks that because he can read news really well, he actually knows what the world is all about.

6. Doug Deal says:

He didn’t say that it was modeled after “Satisfied Fred” he said it was Satisfied Fred and was based on Curious George. In other words, his name for the character is “Safisfied Fred”. So you shouldn’t find any references to it.

Watching that segment reminds me why I never turn on cable or network news.

Who said Obama is black anyway? You leftist racists have to stop dismissing his white heritage.

7. EAVDad says:

Bill — c’mon. It’s easy to say that. Colin Powell isn’t running.

I’m familiar with this guy from the time I worked in Marietta. He’s a racist. He just got caught this time. All the buzzwords are there.

I’m no bleeding heart, but I’m sick of idiots like him. He hides his racism and xenophobia by claiming he’s “honest” or that “he’s not P.C.” In reality, he’s just a stupid old redneck who feels like he can say whatever he wants without any retribution. He’s welcome to say what he wants. But I hope, in the end, he’s discovered for what he is and his bar shuts down.

No one should give him a pass. He knew exactly what he was doing when he sold those t-shirts and put his logo on the back.

8. ksuowls81 says:

Not that I endorse this gentleman, but he has a right to make this shirt. You can allude whatever connotation you would like from the shirt, but he still has a fundamental right to make it and sell it. The same goes for Rev. Wright, Farrakhan, and any other african american gentlemen who are blatanly racist and seem to get away with it. What this man is doing with Satisfied Fred is completely legal, with the exception of a possible copyright infringment.

And I second what was submitted before Obama is just as much African American as he is Caucasian. I mean the guys African American father ran out on him at a young age, and then he was raised by his muslim stepfather in Jakarta, and then raised by his all white grandparents the rest of his youth. He also went to that historically black university Columbia. I got about as much soul running through my veins as Obama and I am all caucasian.

9. rptrcub says:

@ksuowls81: The beauty of the first amendment is that it allows people to be retarded. And it also allows people to call others out for their stupidity.

10. Bill Simon says:

EAV,

Have you ever heard of the phrase “freedom of expression?”

YOU want to have this guy “shut down”, “go out of business”, etc.

How did you feel about that artiste (sic) in the 1990s…Robert Mapplethorpe who created that image of Jesus with manure? THAT guy got a pass from these Lefty yahoos…

11. Ms_midtown says:

Dear Mike Galanos,
    Please leave the cartoon parodies to the professionals at Cartoon Network – Adult Swim.
    Harvey Birdman is already filing a complaint.

12. Jessica says:

I don’t think it’s such BS to infer racism when someone associates a historically racially derogative symbol with a man who is black.

13. ACConservative says:

Thats blatant ageism on the part of Daily Kos. I demand their website be shut down immediately!

14. BubbaRich says:

It’s hard to be a white man in this country, everything is stacked against us.

CF: I don’t know what that means, since most imaginary things are on wikipedia, too.

MM: I’ll be an old white man, soon, so I’m glad we’ve got you looking out for all of the discrimination we deal with. Did you know that no old white man has ever been elected president of the United States? Strange but true!

15. dcraigwhite says:

this is why i love liberals…

tolerance for everyone(unless you don’t agree with their views, at which time you brand them evil, racist, sexist pigs hell-bent on forcing all kids to homeschool in gray compounds across the country while being indoctrinated with a theocratic agenda).

16. Tea Party says:

@rptcub: Right ON!

Freedom of expression is not without consequence.

I don’t condone this guy, but the consequences may be that he becomes even more popular with his patrons. He made it onto CNN!

He’ll laugh all the way to the bank.

With all my heart, I LOVE AMERICA.

17. EAVDad says:

Bill,

Freedom of Expression is fine and this man can say and do what he wants. However, our founders expected people use the rights given to them in the Constitution with responsibility. I think he is using his freedom in an irresponsible way, just like I think Mapplethorpe’s freedom of artistic expression was inappropriate too.

Also…the freedom to say what you want does not mean there are no consequences. I’m not saying the Government should shut him down for what he said — I just hope people stop going there and his business fails. But as Tea Party said, I doubt that will happen.

And for the record, I may think George Bush is the worst President this country has ever had (and I do), but I think depicting him as a monkey is wrong, as well. Respect the office, even if you don’t respect the person.

18. Bill Simon says:

Buzz,

How about the answers to the Calculus 5 Final for Professor Whoever in the Tech Math Department? Has the Tech “Word” machine made it’s way to a well-organized answer bank on the Web?