“Would you accept an offer to be the VP nominee?”

That is the question The Hill has asked United States Senators:

Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.)
“It hasn’t crossed my mind. I’ve got a lot of friends that would make good nominees and I’m out promoting them. I’m busy running for reelection.”
[…]
Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.)
“I would not be so presumptuous as to think I’d even thought about that. And I’d have to talk to my wife. Hey, that’s an honest answer.”

Some of the answers are quite humorous, others show us why a personality is not a qualification to be an elected official.

1. StevePerkins says:

I know that he was just speaking off the cuff, but still… wow.

2. Icarus says:

The “Get back on message, dumba$$” award (given by Ted Kennedy) goes to Ron Wyden, D-Oregon:

“…I am not running for president because there should be someone here to serve as the Senate’s designated driver. I intend to stay in that position. The Senate needs a designated driver…”

3. Icarus says:

The “I’ve only been here a few months, and my overwhelming sense of self importance has been lost by the movers” award goes to Roger Wicker (R-Miss):

“The chances of that are so remote that I’m more likely to be hit by an asteroid.”

4. Icarus says:

The “I can’t believe this douchebag didn’t get the nomination award” goes to Sam Brownback, R-Kansas:

“I would be honored to be asked. I’ve got to appraise the position in considering it. But I haven’t gone to the step of saying whether I would or wouldn’t at this point … I’d probably take away from the ticket, too. There’s always pros and cons. I’m strong pro-life, pro-marriage, and some people would say, ‘Well, I don’t like that.’ But really, people vote for president. Not vice president. I think vice president can hurt you more than it can help you. I can’t remember any time in my lifetime where I voted for a president because of the vice presidential nominee.”

(I know, I’m breaking my own rules, but I think he would fit in just fine in the GA House)

5. Icarus says:

The “I’m not a douchebag like Sam Brownback from Kansas” award goes to Tom Carper, D-Delaware:

“Yes. Sign me up. I’ve been kidding people for years: The hours are better, the wages are just as good — whoever heard of a vice president getting shot at? — and it’s a great opportunity to travel. And actually since time has gone by, the job is robust … So sure. Anybody here would, if they’re going to be honest. The chances are slim to none. But I promise you, I would deliver all three of Delaware’s electoral votes.”

6. Holly says:

I begin to think Blanche thinks she might be asked. Anyone else get that feeling, or am I just being overly hopeful?

7. JasonW says:

Susan Collin’s comment made me laugh, and it’s not even supposed to be a funny response.

Kay Bailey Hutchinson’s answer was expected, yet unexpected. I get the feeling from her answer that she’s been in talks with the McCain people…I like Kay, so I support her, but her answer is so politician-y.

8. Bill Simon says:

The “I’m already a big enough BAD-ASS in what I do now” Award goes to Senator Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.):

“No, I can already preside over the Senate, and I do not enjoy spending a lot of time at ‘undisclosed locations.’ ”

That’s right! Byrd is already King of Senator Hill! Screw being the Veep!

9. Bill Simon says:

The “I cannot believe this candidate is still even IN the Senate” award goes to Senator “It is standard procedure for me to pick-up toilet paper off the floor after it’s fallen in a public restroom” Craig:

“I would say ‘No, Hillary.’ ”

10. Bill Simon says:

The “I have the crappiest last name as a senator, but people never forget my name” Award goes to Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho)…as in “Hi, I’m Crap-o from Ida-ho…”

11. Bill Simon says:

The “DUH!” Award goes to Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) for stating the obvious as an answer to the “hypothetical” question:

“It’s so much a hypothetical it’s not even worth answering.”

12. Bill Simon says:

The “This is Spacey’s Heroine” Award goes to Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.):

“Absolutely. Absolutely. I think I would be great. First of all, I know how to behave at weddings and funerals. And I know how to be commander in chief. I’d bring a lot of fun to the job. We would rock the Naval Observatory.”

13. Bill Simon says:

The “But, Senator, that’s what we are waiting around on YOU” Award goes to Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska):

“No. I’ve got too many things that I still want to do as a senator. And I don’t like the idea of a job where you sit around and wait for someone to die.”

14. drjay says:

also it’s lame the guys that said they’d have to ask their wife–i don’t ask my wife what i’m doing–if i feel like it, i tell her what i’m doing–i’m the king of my castle–and these people are suppose to be leaders!!!pshaw…

15. jsm says:

“so presumptuous as to think I’d even thought about that.”

What’d he say? He doesn’t think he has thought about thinking about it? These off-the-cuff answers are funny sometimes.

16. Painterman says:

Heck yeah I would! Pay is good. Only light lifting required, an occasional hunting trip, maybe an occasional tie breaker vote and with McCain’s age I might end up the Pres.