Tax breaks for farmers and timber folks

Gov. Perdue is suspending fuel taxes on dyed fuel used by farmers and timber harvesters:

Perdue made the announcement in Macon, where he was signing agricultural legislation into law.

“Our farmers have borne the brunt of this multi-year drought and now face record fuel prices during planting season. Suspending this tax will bring needed relief to our state’s largest industry,” said Perdue, who owns a Houston County agribusiness company.

The Georgia House and Senate, as well as the Georgia Farm Bureau, had asked Perdue to consider suspending the tax, a move that will save farmers and timber industry officials $2 million to $4 million.

The suspension will continue in effect at least until the General Assembly meets again in January.

This is probably a good idea, especially with rising food prices.

Since no tax breaks appear to be coming my way I think I’ll save that “save $.80 per gallon” my spam blocker caught this morning.

1. Rick Day says:

no,Buzz. its a BAD idea.

What percentage of food produced in GA is consumed in GA? about 26.8% according to this link: http://www.ers.usda.gov/statefacts/GA.htm#TCEC
    Which shows that 73.2% of total farm receipts comes from export sales.

What percent of farming is growing crops for human consumption? perhaps 25%?
    link: http://www.ers.usda.gov/statefacts/GA.htm#TCEC

What percentage of timber grown in GA stays in GA? I could not find this one but trends say more goes then stays.

Why is this just not another tax break for the wealthy and well connected industry of timber and ‘farming’?

And did The Son ™ just give himself a tax break??

2. jsm says:

•” You cannot help little men by tearing down big men
    • “You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer
    • “You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich”

– William J.H. Boetcker

3. rightofcenter says:

Rick,
    And exactly what relevance does the import/export ratio have to the topic? (And by the way, almost all of the timber grown in Georgia is used in Georgia products). Agriculture and forest products are the #1 and #2 industries in Georgia and they are getting killed right now. But hey, don’t worry about the jobs in those industries…..just worry about getting at “the wealthy”, like those folks driving logging trucks.

Idiot.

4. Rpolitic says:

You know if Sonny hadn’t given himself the retro active tax break, or some of the other perks he has found in the mansion this one probably would sound a whole heck of a lot better.

5. Rick Day says:

rightofcenter, i have a news flash.

I’d rather see a universal suspension of the sales tax on food, than this ‘fuel tax for specific taxpayers’.

That would be the Right ™ thing to do.

You better sit down because it is a shocker.

JOBS ARE NOT THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING GOOD.

Living a good life is. And I know many people who live a good life without a job, or means to feed the mindless consumption you right wingers crow as the ‘American Dream’.

Now, I know you are probably steaming out of your ears because your circuits are not wired for such ‘idiocy’ but try and take a breath and understand the crux of my point.

Which was…Buzzes comment about rising food prices, implying the tax suspension was going to somehow slow the growth of food prices HERE IN GA. At least, that is how I interpreted his comment.

That poor ole timber driver is going to follow the old Ray-gun practice of ‘trickle down economics’ and trickle down all increases in fuel costs to the eventual end user, whoever that may be. Or, he will go to work for someone and get out of the timber trucking business. This tax suspension is pandering; a band aid on a cancer.

And one day you will have the opportunity to call me an idiot to my face, if you have the guts, pilgrim.

6. rightofcenter says:

Rick,
    Calling you an idiot was uncalled for and I apologize. One of the heat of the moment type things.

Rpolitic,
    From the nature of Sonny’s businesses, I doubt he uses much offroad diesel. This is designed to help the farmers and loggers themselves.