What’s that?

UGA has harsher penalties than Tech for drug use by athletes? Surely that can’t be.

Punishment is quick and sure for athletes who fail a drug test at the University of Georgia. They’re suspended from competition. They’re ordered to perform 20 hours of community service. They’re required to pass two more drug screens before playing again.

A third failed test? Permanent banishment.

At Georgia Tech, a failed drug test sends an athlete to counseling. Three failures warrant a one-year suspension, but with the chance of returning —- even, conceivably, for an athlete who fails more drug tests in the meantime.

1. Jace Walden says:

It’s nearly impossible for The Georgia Institute [sic] of Technology to recruit high-caliber athletes into their program to begin with. Without such lax standards, Georgia Tech might not even have a football team.

A reasonable argument can be made that Tech doesn’t actually have a football team now, but that discussion is for another place and time.

2. Rick Day says:

Drug Tests….

The only Urine Drug Test I am willing to submit to someone else, is a TASTE test.

What a racket.

3. Bill Simon says:

A reasonable argument can be made that The University (sic) of Georgia doesn’t actually have an education curriculum, but that discussion is for another place and time.

4. Howard Roark says:

Erik if you were hunting you would get a ticket for baiting Bill with this post.

UGA Class of 84, 85, 2004

Bill if my son applied to and attended Tech I would be a proud father.

5. Holly says:

My dad went to Tech. He supports UGA in every game they play but one. I support Tech in every game they play but one. And we’re able to coexist during that game just fine in my family. I really don’t understand people who get so wrapped up about it. It’s not like it’s Florida. . .

6. Bill Simon says:

The rest of us do not spend our days scouring the Web for any kind of news that would put our football rivalry in a bad light.

You, apparently, are not worrying about the children enough.

7. Icarus says:

I wasn’t “scouring the web for news”, I was on AJC.com. They gave up on covering news decades ago, well before Al Gore invented these internets.

But it was their front/center story for most of the afternoon.

And I only post these things for the children. What would happen if these precious snowflakes decided that an engineering degree is worth giving up the best potential 7 years of their life studying philosophy, anatomy, and advanced keg studies?