Norcross Gets Serious

Norcross, Georgia is getting serious and is starting to tackle the major issues of the day, according to the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Norcross is proposing a new rule that would limit the number of cars parked outside any one home. Under current laws, Community Development Director Jennifer Peterson said, there is no limit to the number of cars that can be parked on an improved surface.

I joke because I love. I’m sure there are very good reasons for this move.

1. Tea Party says:

Same as Roswell, Doraville, and other ‘burgs:

Quality of Life Enforcement, if a house has six or eight cars, usually it is a group house.

Makes it easy for the law to ID group houses.

Not advocating this, mind you, but I believe that is as good an answer as you can have…

2. Donkey Kong says:

“I’m sure there are very good reasons for this move.”

I doubt it. It’s likely another example of an overzealous public official screwing the public because of a few bad apples.

We are not even talking about limiting the number of cars in one’s lawn. The article notes we are talking about an “improved surface,” aka driveway. Honestly. If a homeowner owns multiple cars, decides to use the garage as storage for boxes rather than a car, and has multiple family members living in the house, there will likely be multiple cars outside. Me and my brothers were close to the same age, and for a few years we would have four cars outside — one for each of my brothers (I wasn’t old enough to drive), and one for each of my parents. If we would have waited another year, we may have had five because I started driving shortly after my oldest brother went to college. What about those families who also have grandparent(s) living with them? Tack on another car or two.

3. StevePerkins says:

It’s not about families taking care of Grandma, DK… it’s pretty clearly to do with illegal aliens. I’m not arguing for or against the ordinance, but simply calling its purpose the way it is.

For a number of years, Gwinnett looked the other way on illegal immigration (if not actively ENCOURAGING it at the bequest of developers). Now, with property values tanking in south Gwinnett, and the Gwinnett Place Mall area starting to slide down the slope toward being a strip-mall graveyard with store closures, they’re finally starting to reverse the public message they’ve been putting out. I don’t know if it’s too late or not.

4. Donkey Kong says:

Steve,

I can understand your sentiments and the need to deal with illegal immigration, but I don’t think this is the best way to go about it. Punish the illegal immigrants and the developers that hire them. When police pull them over, deport them. Hand them over to the feds. The illegal immigrants are the ones that should be punished. This bill could impact normal law abiding citizens in the effort to deal with illegal immigration, so I don’t think its necessarily the best approach.

5. StevePerkins says:

I’m not saying this is the best approach… the best approach would involve action at the Federal (or at least State) level. There is very little that the city or county can do about the root issues without the cooperation of these higher governments.

I’m not sure to what degree Norcross or Gwinnett County can control hiring practices (how is a city or county supposed to build and fund a national citizenship/residency database without the Feds?). I think that local police should be more proactive in turning illegals over to the Feds… but: (A) it’s a political firestorm, (B) the Feds are backlogged and not very effective at deporting them, and (C) the illegals come right back anyway.

It’s not Gwinnett’s place to fix the underlying causes of illegal immigration for the entire United States of America. It’s Gwinnett’s place to look after the best interests of Gwinnett. For the past decade or so, the message put out by Gwinnett’s leaders is that we are the metro area’s unofficial “sanctuary city”… that we want as many illegals as possible to help our developers build more strip malls. Now, in 2008, we’ve started to reach our fill of both strip malls AND illegals, and are putting out the message that we don’t want to be a sanctuary city anymore.

True, that just pushes the problem to Hall or Rockdale or the next county… but that alone doesn’t invalidate the action. Gwinnett can’t fix the U.S., it would be doing the best it can just to improve Gwinnett.

6. Tea Party says:

Steve and DK:

both of you make excellent points, this is a national problem that each State should not try to resolve, otherwise we will have a ‘patchwork’ of illegal alien sanctuaries.

I am curious how readers view this point in the illegal alien issue:

Latino’s workers are very good workers, typically most employers would agree. Plus, Latinos strong love for women and being largely Catholic, make them a natural enemy of Muslim extremists. The latter treat women poorly and well, the religious aspect is self-evident.

We ought to proceed very carefully in how we hadle the illegal alien issues in the US, we have natural allies to our South.

7. BubbaRich says:

Donkey:

I live in Doraville. I strongly support our law governing this same thing. They mentioned several times on the news last night that it should be trivial to get a waiver if, for example, you have two teenage kids with their own car, or grandma with a car living with you.

Your complaints sound exactly like the people we fight with who are against our laws requiring you to keep a neat yard and home exterior. Everybody’s fighting against The Man. They phrase their complaints so that they are “concerned with lonely old ladies,” but it turns out they just don’t want to mow when they could politic or blog.