Vernon Jones: “John Kerry nor Al Gore came to Georgia”

I happen to have a pretty good memory and I also happen to be something of a pack rat. I keep a lot of things for sentimental value; for example, I still have my ticket stub from the first Braves game I ever went to at the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium in 1992. The point is that sometimes being a pack rat comes in handy when you read or hear something that obviously isn’t true such as DeKalb County CEO Vernon Jones’ statement that neither John Kerry nor Al Gore came to Georgia [Source: 4/29/2008 AJC Political Insider article “Vernon Jones: ‘Obviously, the Democratic party loves to recruit losers’”].

Now, Vernon Jones said the reason why he voted for George W. Bush twice was because “neither John Kerry nor Al Gore came to Georgia.” Well, as I said, that isn’t true. In 2000, the first political rally I ever went to was an Al Gore rally down at Centennial Olympic Park. The date of that rally was August 10, 2000. I still have the tickets the state Democratic Party distributed to attendees. I still have my Gore/Lieberman rally sign. And I still remember my favorite part of Al Gore’s speech (“My opponent says that the last eight years of prosperity was an accident; that we just coasted along…well, if that’s the case, then I want to coast for another four years!”). In fact, George Washington University documented this event (and others) on their Georgia 2000 presidential election page.

In 2004, John Kerry and John Edwards visited the state twice and there was a Kerry/Edwards office located three floors above the state Democratic Party’s headquarters. While I wasn’t at John Kerry visit to Atlanta on March 2, 2004, I was at the John Edwards rally in College Park at the Georgia International Convention Center on August 16th. I still have the volunteer badge they gave to the volunteers that day. And of course, George Washington University documented the visit on their Georgia 2004 presidential election page.

So contrary to what Vernon Jones says, Al Gore and John Kerry did visit Georgia. They did invest in Georgia. And they didn’t turn their backs on Georgia.

1. hayek_lives says:

Great post! I am sure Vernon will correct his statement now that you have presented evidence to the contrary. Leaders like Vernon are always willing to acknowledge when they have made a mistake.

2. Donkey Kong says:

I just saw a picture of Vernon Jones and he looks remarkably similar to Snuggles. Twins? If they are related, I wouldn’t trust anything that comes out of this Vernon man’s mouth.

3. shep1975 says:

It think this is splitting hairs. Yes Gore and Kerry made stops in Georgia, but I think the Snuggles was implying more about the fact that neither candidate INVESTED in Georgia.They came for fundraisers, obligatory rally or two, but that’s it. Thruthfully, on the otherside, Republicans don’t invest that much in Georgia either since Georgia is considered “safe.”

Since Georgia has not been a battleground state since 1996, neither national party as invested much politically in Georgia.

And far be it from me to put a cramp in your argument that the democrat nominee for US Senate in Georgia should be someone not willing to reach across party lines like Vernon… sorry… Snuggles…has.

4. Romegaguy says:

My two questions:

1) There’s a Democratic Party in Georgia?

2) Is Andre no longer working for Snuggles?

5. candlerpark says:

Vernon Jones is a stalking horse for Saxby.

Voted for bush not once, but twice?? That’s all anyone needs to know about this supposed ‘Democrat’.

6. joe says:

shep1975 // May 4, 2008 at 12:17 pm

It think this is splitting hairs.

No, Shep, splitting hairs would be if Gore and Kerry had layovers at the airport. Snuggles is either wrong or stating a convenient lie.

7. bowersville says:

I am a Republican and I have two questions.

1) Who cares?

2) Besides Vernon, who has a chance at the Senate besides Saxby?

Nobody.

Now as far as Georgia being a safe state for the Republicans, it’s not going to last.