John W. Thompson: “…they are looking for me to be their savior.”

Clayton County Schools welcomed Jesus Christ John W. Thompson, the new superintendent, today on his first day working for the children. Did he schedule any urgent meetings? Did he immediately demand a meeting with the School Board? No. He spent the day touring some of the schools, talking with students and not getting anything done.

“It’s inspiring to me to see little babies concerned. I look at their eyes and they are looking for me to be their savior,” Thompson said. “It let’s me know my wife and I made the right decision [to come to Clayton].”

Plus, we have learned that Jehovah, per the Most Wonderful Contract In The World, is also allowed to bring in his own senior aide who can help suck as much money out of the budget as possible and into their own pockets.

Thompson was joined by several staff members and consultant Judith Simmons, who was executive director of elementary schools with the Pittsburgh School district when Thompson was Pittsburgh’s superintendent. Thompson said Simmons, who has lived in the Metro Atlanta area for two years, will work as a consultant and may interview for a staff position.

Well done, Clayton County! One more day towards your accreditation deadline has passed and nothing was done.

1. Bill Simon says:

Perhaps Pam Stephenson will also be able to secure a consulting gig in Clayton. Might as well suck ALL of the money out of the system and have it distributed to a few choice folks.

2. EAVDad says:

Don’t blame Thompson. Blame the board.

What I don’t understand is why there isn’t a concerted recall effort in Clayton County. Everyone is talking about how worried they are and just waiting for the state to step in and do something. But they can’t.

Only the people of Clayton County can actually do something. So DO IT already!

3. Demonbeck says:

My favorite quote throughout this whole ordeal:

“I will do all I can,” said Thompson, an educator for more than 40 years. “I’ll go to sleep at night knowing I’ve been at work 24-7.”

So here we have a man who is too dumb to understand 24-7 trying to lead a group of elected officials dumb enough to hire him. Can the school board lose its accreditation as well?

4. bowersville says:

Board lose accreditation? No

Board lose credibility? Yes

Does the board care? No

Do the residents of Clayton care? Apparently not.

There is no cry out for the recall of the board.

5. Dave Bearse says:

Loved the quote too, but took it to mean sleeping on the job is part of the job.

Though there’s been a lot of publicity about the terms of the contract, I’ve yet to read anything about its golden parachute, a real possibility in event accreditation is lost and November elections. And how much of the 45% paid time off is “front-loaded” into the 2008 summer recess?

6. doubleagle says:

This is just one of many examples of government school disfunctionality. Most does not get publicised. I really don’t understand why everyone is so surprised.

7. Holly says:

Okay, this is going to get me in some hot water, but. . .

Why should we save Clayton County at this point?

I think I’ve lost all sympathy in this situation, and someone (anyone) is free to correct me as to why this is a bad opinion, but if the residents can’t be bothered to fix the problems from the bottom up (i.e., go to the board meetings, demand the board be disbanded and new elections held, force the new board to select qualified applicants for the superintendent’s position, etc.), then why should the rest of us bother?

Am I wrong? This really seems to me like it should at least start with the citizens of Clayton County. I’m really frustrated by this situation. I do feel badly for the kids. But, hello, parents?!

8. bowersville says:

Holly, you are correct.

I have no idea why the parents haven’t stepped up. I guess when their children aren’t eligible for HOPE they will suddenly wake up and blame “THE MAN.”