The Gun Law

Having drilled down into the matter, read the legislation, and found out what is already and not already allowed, I’ve changed my mind on the gun law about guns in restaurants.

The Governor should sign the bill. If restaurants themselves don’t want guns on premises, they can say so and let market forces decide whether or not it is the right thing to do.

1. Live Free or Die says:

“Let the market” dictate if some boozed up redneck should be allowed to carry his pistol into a sports bar. No thank you. I’ll take the veto for $500 Alex.

2. boyreporter says:

I’m with you, LFD. This is really a no-brainer, reflecting the cranial vacuum of the gun-nuts who proposed, passed and support this idiotic notion. Too much poison in the food? Add more. Big fire through the roof? Add gasoline! The answer to gun violence (okay, violence from people using guns…sheesh…) is not more guns.

3. Progressive Dem says:

How the hell does a restaurant owner know who is carrying a concealed weapon, and thereby determine if they should be serving them alcohol?

Are gun toters required to disclose they are carrying a weapon when they enter a place serving alchohol?

This bill is a bad idea that simply encourages more people to carry weapons.

4. Dave Bearse says:

I anticipate notifying restaurants I am taking my business elsewhere unless a notice prohibting guns is displayed.

5. big john says:

Nuts on you guys! I won’t do business in a restaurant that prohibits weapons; I don’t feel like being in a gun-free zone where I can be a victim more easily. The restaurant owner is not responsible, the gun-holder is. If a CCW permit holder is found to be intoxicated, he will suffer the consequences. The answer to gun violence, boy reporter, is responsible, armed citizens who will willingly and gladly defend you when you are the victim of gun violence.

Y’all are aparently too dense to understand this simple concept. God forbid you EVER get more direct control over my life.

6. mocamarc says:

If I read HB 89 correctly this morning, a person licensed to carry a gun may do so in a place serving alcohol, but that person cannot be served alcohol. Having a drink in an establishment while carrying a gun would be a misdemeanor.

So much fun!

7. boyreporter says:

Lighten up, Big John, and get a rent-a-cop or some other body guard, ’cause you are seriously a-skeered. Little old ladies go to church and to restaurants unarmed, but you’re too timid. I doubt a bunch of gun-totin’ Big John’s shooting across the counter or up and down the booths and tables (as much at each other as at the bad guy) would be the safest environment. Maybe controlling guns — severely, including using our heads to figure out how to keep them from bad guys, too — makes more sense. But, heck, it’s not nearly as much fantasizin’ fun, is it?

8. Rogue109 says:

Hmmm, your plan didn’t work too well in DeKalb County last night, according to this story in the AJC.

Imagine that, someone didn’t care that guns were prohibited and brought one into a bar and ended up killing someone. I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen and that he was supposed to be 100% safe with the ban in place as it is now!

9. boyreporter says:

100% What world do you live in? No-one should say 100% about anything involving humans. That’s setting up a straw man to knock down.

Now imagine a shoot-out among all the big, brave guys in the place, bullets flying, ricocheting, people getting in the way…killing a bunch of little old ladies in there without guns (’cause they’re not as scared as the manly men are).

10. Goldwater Conservative says:

“If restaurants themselves don’t want guns on premises, they can say so and let market forces decide whether or not it is the right thing to do.”

I doubt that many people will choose to go to “Bob Smith’s Southern Buffet” for their anniversary over a fine dining establishment or corporate owned chain…or any other occasion. It will be interesting to see what the murder rate in hole-in-the-wall bars jumps to over that of civilized restaurants and bars.

11. Progressive Dem says:

If I saw a sign on the restaurant door that said “Guns Welcome,” I wouldn’t go in. I can’t imagine any restaurant posting such a notice. It would be the kiss of death. Fortunately restaurant owners are smarter than the proponents of this phenomenally stupid legislation.

12. joe says:

I can not imagine carrying a concealed weapon AND drinking alchohol. By and large, permit holders are much more responsible than several of you seem to think.

13. boyreporter says:

Joe: I agree with your defense of permit holders “by and large.” It’s the others, and this would encourage many others, that are worrisome.

14. joe says:

boyreporter,

I have to disagree. The troublemakers that you are worried about will not get their fingerprints on file and have a background check. How ironic that the government keeps a database on honest, law abiding citizens.