The GOP better pay attention

They need to work on minority outreach.

Georgia’s minority populations continued to grow in the past year, ranking eighth in the nation as a percentage of the total population, according to U.S. Census Bureau numbers released today.

Georgia is now 41.5 percent minority. That’s behind Hawaii, Washington, D.C., New Mexico, California and Texas, which already have reached the milestone of majority-minority populations.

1. Rpolitic says:

I have for years and yes I can see years gone to Chairman after Chairman of the State GOP with candidates that had a plan to not only unseat a minority Democrat, but have true out reach into the minority communities around the state. To a Chairman they have said no! And each said no because of fear of stimulating the black vote against “us”.

In fact the last one who did so went on a threatening, verbal assault. Telling us that we were trying to destroy the party and that if we put the race together we would be banished from all things Republican.

2. StevePerkins says:

How do you do “minority outreach” when race-baiting is the key component of your strategy for energizing the base? You can have racists, or you can have other races… you can’t have both.

3. boyreporter says:

Republicans and minority outreach? Laughable. And dangerous. For one thing, those doing the reaching might actually touch someone not like them and have a heart attack.

Erick: Your response to StevePerkins lacks…uh…insight (I’m trying to be polite).

4. StevePerkins says:

Erick, the Democrats’ outreach works with hatred of the SELF rather than hatred of OTHERS. Unfortunately for the GOP, there are far more self-hating douchebag whites than there are self-hating “uncle tom” minorities.

5. fultonrighty says:

Don’t the Democrats mobilize the African American base regardless of who we run? I say go for the outreach and let the election take care of itself. But make sure the candidates are credible. Use them (and photos of the State Party Chair, the Governor, Lt. Gov, etc. with their arms around them) to do the outreach!

6. Demonbeck says:

self hatred is not held merely to one race, gender or sexual preference.

The fact of the matter is, you have one party that benefits from a majority of minority votes and another that does not. The party that benefits from minority support, however, sustains that support as long as they remain static in economic and social standings. In essence, change is bad for this party, because change likely means a loss of support.

The other party espouses the virtues of self-sustainment (in theory at least) despite the knowledge that such a stance hurts the party’s ability to attract more minority support.

So tell me, which is more virtuous – leading a group of people who have historically been oppressed and are all-too-often under educated and financially constrained down a dead end path or offering the support of a hand up rather than a hand out to anyone regardless of race?

7. Demonbeck says:

If that’s what Barack sounds like, then I must have been listening to an imposter all this time.

8. What lacks “insight” boyreporter is folks like you and Steve who throw around the “Republicans are racists” invective every chance they get.

For Steve to say that “race-baiting is the key component of your strategy for energizing the base” is outrageous. It was never part of my efforts when I was Gwinnett GOP chairman (where we increased Bush’s percentage of the vote in 2004 over 2000) nor when I was Sonny Perdue’s Gwinnett Chairman (where in 2006 we increased the Governor’s percentage of the vote 5 points over 2002). I also worked my tail off to help elect Melvin Everson to the State House, in a majority white, GOP district – with all those racists running around how is that possible?. We did all those things by knocking on doors, making phone calls, handing out literature, and pushing a platform of limited government and lower taxes.

No Steve and boyreporter, to label all or most or even a fraction of Republicans racists is intellectually lazy and frankly boring. I thought Steve was smarter than that. I’m not sure about boyreporter, that might be the best he’s got.

9. rugby fan says:

Well Demonbeck he has repeatedly said “change comes from the bottom up, not the top down”, meaning communities must change themselves and not look to the government for help. He has said many times that the government can’t provide the answers people want, it may help but it won’t solve problems. That has pretty much been some of the central tenet of his campaign.

I am going to guess that your partisanship hasn’t allowed you to hear anything Barack says.

10. Jace Walden says:

Buzz,

That’s bullsh*t. Sonny Perdue was elected the first time because he pandered outright to the flaggers. Don’t give me this, “Republicans Don’t Racebait”. Crap. It’s because of Racebaiting that you have your FirstRepublicanGovernorSinceReconstruction™

11. StevePerkins says:

Buzz, you absolutely have to be kidding me. I’ll put aside national politics for a moment, since the GOP in recent years seems to have found more traction with using gay marriage as a wedge rather than Willie Horton.

However, at the state level I can’t help but note the obvious… this Gov. Perdue you’ve squeezed out an extra 5% in Gwinnett for, was elected in the first place out of resentment towards Gov. Barnes taking the “stars and bars” off the state flag. I’ll give a half-hearted salute to the Georgia GOP for squelching the issue since then, and pushing that McBerry guy off the stage entirely. I’m not arguing that the GOP is the political arm of the KKK or anything. However, when the chips are down, the GOP doesn’t hesitate to stir up resentment toward minorities (racial, sexual, immigrant, etc) to push itself over the top in close elections. This isn’t even debatable.

Furthermore, having grown up in south Georgia and having most of my family there… I don’t think I’ve ever had a private political conversation with rural Republicans outside the metro area that didn’t turn to racial matters within 5 minutes. Even on Peach Pundit, which is mostly a metro-area readership, the hottest discussion topics are always the racial aspects behind failing hospitals and school systems… and whether Vernon Jones should be nicknamed “Sexual Chocolate”, “The Black Ron Jeremy”, or simply “Snuggles”.

As long as the grassroots culture of the Party is what it is, minority outreach is a pipe-dream. In principle, I agree with Demonbeck 100% percent… the conservative message SHOULD appeal to minorities rather than repel them. However, you’re not going to attract minorities under a tent (even if it’s in the best interests) when many of those already under the tent are there in part to get away from minorities.

12. John Konop says:

The truth is both parties use the something for nothing pork to manipulate the voters. At the end many black or white voters do not want to hear the truth.

I would ask both sides how much really changes from one party to the other via pork spending? The truth is divided government usually contains spending not one party rule.

The race and social issues is used to divide people while our pockets get picked.

Bush only started talking about cutting spending once the DEMS took control.

And in Georgia the GOP promised no more midnight oil spending and what happen?

13. rugby fan says:

I’ll agree with Buzz to label all Republicans as racist is completely dishonest.

However, the Republican Party has not been too timid to use racism in an attempt to win elections. In fact in the past 20 years, it would be almost impossible to say that the Republican Party has stood for anything other than a hatred of a group of people; gays, African Americans or whoever else it takes to get elected.

14. John Konop says:

StevePerkins

I will say if you ever go to a young Republican meeting in Atlanta it is very open to minorities. Shep, Camron, Joel….all are a class group, who do not tolerate racism. You may disagree with them politically but they do reach out to minorities and are open to new ideas and debate.

15. Demonbeck says:

rugby,

I will admit, I haven’t listened to closely to what any of the candidate’s in the other party have said – not out of partisanship, though. I just lose interest quickly when I know Scrubs is on the other channel.

16. StevePerkins says:

Konop — I do attend YR meetings when I can (it’s been hard over the past few months due to my night class schedule). I was also a guest of Shep at John Linder’s birthday party last year, and did note that Shep was responsible for bringing 50% of the blacks in attendance. You are correct.

However, by “50%” I’m still referring to two people. The YR’s are a positive sign, no doubt, but it’s still a drop in the bucket and an exception to the rule.

17. Demonbeck says:

Rugby,

Under the same guise though, you must admit that the Dems have relied on race-baiting and fear-mongering – from allowing the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to sunset to ending Medicare and Social Security for seniors .

18. rugby fan says:

Sure there are elements of race baiting in their campaigns, I wasn’t saying that.

However, the GOP, especially in recent years has made their obvious pitting of Americans against each other the central part of their philosophy. For example, it seemed odd to think in 2004 that a war was going on in Iraq, our very fabric as a nation was being torn to shreds by gays wanting to get married.

19. Dave Bearse says:

Few Republicans are racists, but the case can be made in a partisan environment and nearly evenly divided electorate that racists often provide the GOP its margin of victory.

This circumstance makes GOP outreach especially difficult because incumbency would suffer during the process of the GOP clearly distancing itself, with no certain result the outreach would be successful.

20. Demonbeck says:

Steve,

Every waterfall begins with a drop. Every journey begins with a step.

Yes, Icarus, TLC had a song about waterfalls too.

– Demonbeck “Left Eye” Lopes

21. Icarus says:

You know, an indoor waterfall could have helped put that fire out that accidentally started in the bathtub of Lisa’s Country Club of the South home.

Whatever happened to Andre Rison, anyway?

22. Icarus says:

But back to the issue at hand,

The case can be made that both parties and their campaigns play to the fear and ignorance within their bases. The Republicans have their flaggers, but let’s not forget that the dems love to trot out Shirley Franklin and her radio spots about fire hoses and Bull Conner. Both sides live in glass houses on this issue.

23. StevePerkins says:

The last I heard from Andre Rison, he was appearing on SpikeTV’s “Pros vs. Joes” show… playing football with some other ex-NFL players against some average-guy contestants, competing to see which of them could survive the longest.

I remember that Rison went on SpikeTV’s Thursday night wrestling program to promote his show… and got bodyslammed by some 7-foot dude for no real reason other than him being Andre Rison.

24. Icarus says:

“and got bodyslammed by some 7-foot dude for no real reason other than him being Andre Rison.”

Would there be any better reason?

25. jsm says:

Now that I’ve cleaned off most of the crap that this thread splattered all over my screen, I have a few points to make on the issue at hand. The GOP will make gains in the minority vote when:

1) they convince minorities that a politican does not “give” them anything.

2) they convince minorities that they do not have the “right” to a nice place to live and 100 cable channels just because they live in America and can’t find a job where they can goof off all day for $20/hr. Good luck there.

2) they convince minorities that the school does not hate their child because he was reprimanded for misbehaving and that good grades are worth working for.

3) they convince them that their neighbor should not be forced to pay to keep them up.

And on the misnomer of “gay marriage,” I hate repeating myself. Government does not own nor did it define the term, “marriage.” It only chose to recognize it as defined by the Bible and the Church and to tie a contract to it for taxation and privacy purposes. This is not a minority issue. Only the Huckabilly religionists will scream if gays are allowed to make similar contracts together under a different name.

26. rugby fan says:

I think this sums of the Republican Party/American Conservatism quite nicely.

If you go to The Corner right now: