Qualifying Day 4

Not much interesting. Insider Advantage has a spreadsheet up of who is running against who in the House and Senate. Two things of note:

Frequent commenter Lee Benedict has qualified to run against the Porker-in-Chief Ben Harbin. Lee: I’ll be happy to stump for you on the front page (at least till Erick yells at me for doing so).

Also it seems the GOPs recruitment efforts are a bit lacking. Only 5 Republicans have qualified to run against incumbent democrats, and only one of those, Keith Shewbert is in the metro area.

Harbin seems to be the only member of the house leadership to get primary opposition.

Qualifying ends at noon tomorrow.

1. Lee Benedict says:

Thanks Chris! Ben has a lot of people with a lot of money who want him to stay where he is. While we’re at it, contribuions may be mailed to Lee Benedict – PO Box 211923 – Augusta, GA 30917 – make checks payable to “Citizens for Benedict”.
    Thanks again!

2. Romegaguy says:

Chris, Erick is too busy stumping for Paul Broun to notice you stumping for Lee…

3. Chris says:

Well, if Erick weren’t stumping for Broun I’d have to be doing it. He is the only member of Congress I would be mildly upset if he got run over with a steamroller. The rest? Not so much.

4. DeacfromGA says:

The spreadsheet didn’t have a candidate running against Johnny Grant…

What gives?

5. John Konop says:

I have it from a very reliable source that more members of the Cherokee school board will have challengers. One of the big issues is choice and charter schools. As I said this math 123 has open up a huge debate over the overreaching hand of the State and federal government.

6. onthefence says:

Why hasn’t anyone qualified for district 171 in House? I know there is time left, but it seems odd. It’s Richard Royal’s seat….

7. Bill Simon says:

A spreadsheet? Where is Bobby Kahn when we need him to provide “scores” of these candidates with how well or how bad their alignment will be with the Governor’s agenda? 🙂

8. Goldwater Conservative says:

The Erik Underwood running as a Demcrat against Nan Orrock in State Senate District 36. Is that the same Erik Underwood that ran as a Republican in the 10th CD Special Election last year?

9. Goldwater Conservative says:

He lost a State House race, than did worse than losing in an open seat U.S. House special election (he made it into 10th place…out of 10).

How many times has he switched parties?

When will he just go away?

10. Romegaguy says:

He’ll go away probably the day Chris “how many districts and parties can I run for” Vaughn goes away.

11. Holly says:

I’m actually really disappointed about Erik. I thought he’d go on to really good things in the Republican Party. Oh, well.

12. bowersville says:

Holly, it should be quite apparent to everyone that has had any dealings with Erick Underwood that he is a political opportunist.

When he was running for congress in the CD10 special, I saw great potential in this young man to be a leader. I wish he had stayed in our district and worked to our future, he didn’t.

13. Holly says:

I think I posted elsewhere about how the GOP farms candidates. I, like Erik, have political aspirations, but I have put in lots of time doing grunt work to get where I am now, and I recognize I have a long way to go (and lots more unglamorous work to do) before I reach the goal I’ve set for myself.

No, I’m still not going to run for office, but it’s the same principle.