There should be a law

There really should be one that allows the Superintendent of Schools to take over direct control of a school system that is in danger of losing its accreditation. I’m actually surprised we don’t have something that allows a state take over of schools in dire circumstances.

By the way, the Governor has not signed the Charter Schools law yet. He should. In some circumstances, having effective, healthy charter schools might be the only way out for students stuck in a school system run by a bunch of retarded decrepits.

1. John Konop says:

Would you trust Kathy Cox who has promoted dysfunctional recycled failed ideas like math 123?

The constitution does not guarantee results. All I know the more the State and federal government takes control we end up with lobbyist driven failed policy like NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.

We need to give options to students via charter and vouchers. No school can force a student to learn or create a home environment conducive to learning.

The biggest issue is going to school is a privilege not a right! That means a school should be able to throw kids out who do not want to learn. Schools need to be realistic to the ability of the students and not a one size fit all education that success is measured only if the student goes to college. Schools need to create options for students with technical schools while in high school for non-college bound kids.

With all this said the success comes from the student and parents, teachers and schools provide the path not the result.

2. Icarus says:

To answer your first question, would I trust Kathy Cox to take over the system? An unqualified “yes”.

I’m not sold on the Math 123 either. However, I respect the process that Kathy went through when overhauling the GA curriculum. It is now ranked as one of the toughest in the country.

GA isn’t going to crawl out of the bottom of the rankings doing the same things differently. And it is going to take a lot of different changes, some from parents, some from locals, some from the state, to fix (or shall we at least say, “improve”) our schools.

Kathy, at least, has approached the problem as an educator, and not as a politician. She doesn’t grandstand, and neither does her staff. She’s been hard at work for 6 years. Perfection during those years? No. Hard work and improvement, yes.

3. Icarus says:

Then again, compared to the current board in Clayton County, I would prefer even GOPeach to be running things. For the Children, of course.

4. Tom Smith says:

I like local control and local retribution. I think Clayton is so far out of control that individual members may get locked up. BOE members can be removed and special elections will take place. Fact is that there is little training for these jobs. Best thing any community can do for their school system is to be engaged and challenge these guys before it blows up.

Charter Schools are not the answer either but I do support them. Many fold after the founding BOE members run their kids through and it begins to lack support. Schools need to compete and parents need to shop for what works for them. Fact is most will stay where it is easy and comfortable and be quite satisfied that their kid is learning because they got on the bus and came home on the bus.

Most Clayton Co parents will stay the course and “hope for change”.

5. John Konop says:

I am always suspicious when the FED or State steps in to fix a local problem. The next you know we have a highway bill building bridges to nowhere. We have No Child Left Behind which left students behind at taxes payers expense.

We must move past thinking government can solve all our problems. I am all for teaching someone to fish, but they most decide they want to learn.

The problem is we keep seeding a system that makes people addicted to the government to solve issues that are a home and community based. Once you set up the system it never goes away.

6. Icarus says:

You won’t find a bigger supporter of “Local Control” than me.

However, when your tax dollars, both State and Federal, are going to a system that can’t meet basic accredidation standards, it is no longer a “local” problem.

Ask the Fayette and Henry residents who already are paying for Clayton students to illegally attend their schools. The problem is no longer “local”.

And losing accredidation is no easy task, frankly. The last time a system lost it was in the 1960’s, so I’m told. That’s any system, anywhere in this country. None in the last 40 years.

So if Clayton is so F’ed up that it manages to do what no school system in this country has done in my lifetime, I’m willing to consider letting the State usurp the locals on this one.

7. John Konop says:

Clayton is the tip of the ice berg of schools having this problem. Unless the community steps up and takes reasonability we are putting band aids on a problem.

I did a lot of research and you will see the drop out rate spike once math 123 gets implemented fully in high schools in a few years. I challenge you to talk to a junior high or high school math teacher and ask them what is coming.

When you add the math 123 issues with NCLB this is the titanic.

What I learned from taking over failed companies is that until the bottom hits people they will not change bad behavior. That is why we target companies that have hit the bottom because they except change faster.

I feel blessed that I make enough money to use private schools. Yet I feel bad for the parents without the choice.

I may sound cold but our system does not guarantee success and that mind set is destroying our country.

That is why the attacks calling me Chicken Little about the economy when I warned people about the economy years ago did not bother me. I am at peace that I only give out the information and it is up to the other person to accept it or not. And if they do not I do not take it personal.

As you know we have debated many times on issues and I would have no problem having a beer with you.

8. Icarus says:

“I challenge you to talk to a junior high or high school math teacher and ask them what is coming.”

What I know about Math 123 came from a relative who was formerly a Teacher of The Year in one of Clayton County’s high schools. She hates it as much as you. (And has since left Clayton’s system, because of the last time they almost lost accredidation) And I respect both of your opinions on it.

That said, I’m not willing to throw Kathy Cox overboard for this one area that I may disagree with her. Much like I won’t throw one legislator into the forever “bad” column over one vote.

And while I too fear higher dropout rates, I don’t think that should stop us from setting higher standards. I would, however, very much support a Vocational Education track that seems counter to the current approach.

As for the invitation for a beer, I will take you up on that one day. I’m going to keep the perception of anonymity a little longer for now.

9. Bill Simon says:

The fact that Icarus is enamored with the job that Kathy “Evolution is a Buzz Word” Cox is doing tells me more about Icarus than it does about Cox.

The only thing that will fix Georgia schools is to get talent from OUTSIDE the state…because home-grown dolts just ain’t cuttin’ it. We’ve had the clown before Schrenko, we had the clown named Schrenko for 8 years, and now we have Schrenko’s successor…all three, I believe, proud finished products of the finest goober-run schools in the country.

10. Icarus says:

So harsh with me today, and I’ve only mentioned college football once. wtf?

I’m not an expert in the history that is Kathy Cox, but if you check, I’m about 90% sure that not only did she NOT attend UGA (Emory?), but she graduated HS from a yankee state.

11. Bill Simon says:

Didn’t mean to be harsh, Buddy.

I’m pretty sure that someone who parks a UGA stuffed dog on a podium and shouts “Go Dawgs!” after a speech was born and bred from the bowels of UGA.

It was some speech she made in Cobb County several years ago. You just don’t inherit that kind of disease…it has to soak through your pores for years.

12. Harry says:

Math123 will simply generate more dropouts from gubmint schools on both ends of the spectrum. The top 1/4 will transfer to private schools and home schools. The bottom 1/4 will go to the streets, and then on to the prisons and shelters. You can’t put the two ends of the spectrum in the same classroom and expect a positive outcome. Every other country in the world has academic tracks and a vocational tracks. But yet, I was told by a member of the state board of education that “The US is different than every other country!”

The race to the bottom continues.

13. rightbeforeleft says:

Kathy did go to Emory and never attended UGA, not sure what that says about the stuffed dog story, but I’m 100% sure on this one.

Also, yeah shes no perfect Supe, but lets face the facts here: she has a lot more ammo to bring to the shooting match than the Clayton system itself does. IF the supe was allowed to step in, not only would the resources of the DOE beyond her be available, but most likely the Governor and the type of out of state experts our friend Bill speaks of. I think local control is fine until the locals prove they’re morons, then its time to bring in the big guns, and like them or not that is Kathy, Sonny and the Fed DOE.

14. John Konop says:

You make a great point. The problem is the stated goal of No Child Left Behind is to equalize scores between minority students and white students.

MLK was for equal opportunity not equal results.

15. Romegaguy says:

I assume Erick meant the State School Superintendent instead of the Clayton County School Superintendent who is a part of the problem.

16. John Konop says:

Raising education standards is tricky.

If the new standard to graduate is I most know how to cut hair I would fail.

I am dyslexic I guess I would fail the writing standard.

Yet I have always been fast with numbers should that be the only standard?

The point is we must have education that matches the students skill set and use that to measure the standard.

This one size fit all standard is part of the problem not the solution.

I would argue Kathy Cox telling parents she thinks every student is capable to go to university does more harm than good. It sounds great but setting students up to fail does a disservice to everyone.

17. SouthFultonGuy says:

John Georgia had problems with education long before NCLB. There are indeed problems with unfunded mandates like NCLB.

But when you suggest that NCLB is the root cause, you absolve Georgia administrators of the responsibility they fail to take ownership of.

Georgia schools also sucked before Kathy Cox’s tenure.

18. John Konop says:

I do not disagree we had problems before. I am only making the point NCLB is not helping it makes the problem worse.

What I am saying the logic behind this one size fit all education that snubs non-college bound students is the root problem. Harry is right the reason other countries do better than the U.S. in education is they do not force students in a college track.

Also the mind set of equalizing results never works. It drives every to the middle.