1. John Konop says:

Get the popcorn out! This is the WWF.

Wilhite seeks to unseat Jerguson
    By Tom Brooks
    [email protected]

Sixes resident Mary Wilhite (Right) announced last week she is launching her third bid for a seat in the Georgia House of Representatives.

Wilhite is slated to face incumbent State Rep. Sean Jerguson (Below Left), R-Holly Springs, in the July 15 Republican general primary for the District 22 seat.

The qualifying period for Democratic and Republican candidates seeking state offices will be open from April 28 at 9 a.m. until noon on May 2.

Jerguson, a freshman lawmaker, defeated Wilhite by a 35-vote margin, 1,737 to 1,702, in the 2006 primary runoff, state election returns show. Jerguson defeated Democratic candidate Kevin Bailey in the 2006 general election.

The contest would be the third time Jerguson and Wilhite have faced each other in a Republican primary election. The first was in 2004 in the race won by former State Rep. Chuck Scheid, of Woodstock.

Wilhite and Jerguson were locked in a heated contest in 2006. After Jerguson won the primary, Wilhite appeared in the Cherokee County Magistrate Court under an allegation raised by a Jerguson campaign worker that she pushed the man while campaigning at a roadside interstate exit on the eve of the runoff.

The misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge – which Wilhite said was a political smear – was later dropped.

Wilhite said she is running to offer a change in leadership for the district, which includes portions of central and southeastern Cherokee.

Wilhite said Jerguson backed the General Assembly’s policies of “tax gimmicks and creating a bigger state government instead of working to improve traffic or education or things that impact people’s lives.”

She alleges that Jerguson supported changes in tax policies that would be costly to “local control of schools,” Wilhite said.

“I will never try to take money away from our schools just to pander to property owners during an election year,” she said.

Jerguson said he is ready for an issues-focused campaign.

“I look forward to discussing the issues facing Cherokee County,” Jerguson said.

2. Romegaguy says:

I wonder if Ms. Wilhite will talk about her former boss and mentor Bill Campbell this election cycle…

3. Rpolitic says:

or maybe there is video of her shoving through the crowd to be with Michelle Obama at this years wild hog supper.

I haven’t seen that picture on her site yet.

4. rabuncountyman says:

News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Jim Butterworth
    April 28, 2008 706.768.4106

BUTTERWORTH QUALIFIES FOR STATE SENATE
    LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN WEBSITE http://WWW.VOTEBUTTERWORTH.COM

Jim Butterworth, Republican Candidate for State Senate District 50, officially qualified today for State Senate District 50 at the State Capitol. Upon qualifying, Butterworth launched his new campaign website, http://www.votebutterworth.com.

Said Butterworth, “I am asking the voters of northeast Georgia for the honor of serving as their voice in the State Senate. If elected, I will help bridge the gap between our local governments and the Gold Dome by being a Senator who helps unify all of Northeast Georgia around common goals and helps move us forward together. I believe every family in northeast Georgia benefits when we have leaders that unify us and focus on the issues that impact each of us every day. That’s the kind of leadership I will provide. I hope everyone will check out our new website, http://www.votebutterworth.com, to learn more about me and our campaign for Faith, Vision, and Values.”

Raised in Habersham County, Jim Butterworth graduated from the University of Georgia and joined the US Air Force and later the Georgia Air Guard where he flew B-1 Bombers.

In 2004, Jim won a seat on the Habersham County Commission where he currently serves as Chairman. He is widely respected for bringing together local governments to improve infrastructure across his county.

Jim and Amy Butterworth live in Habersham County with their three children. Jim is currently employed as a pilot for Delta Air Lines and Amy is an educator in the Habersham County Public Schools. The Butterworths are active members of Bethlehem Baptist Church.

5. No surprises this morning in Gwinnett. I went with Mike Beaudreau as he qualified for re-election in County Commission district 3. As we left, Loraine Green was on her way in to qualify for County Commission Chairman. Carol Hassell qualified to replace Green in County Commission district 1 (two others are expected to also qualify for that race) while Tom Lawler qualified again for Clerk of Court and Judge Jim Clark qualified for reelection as well.

6. drjay says:

sos office has stae qualifying on front page of her website…the county chair in sav’h is hoping most of the gop candidates qualify today around 2…

7. steelfist says:

8. Goldwater Conservative says:

I saw something interesting at the capitol.

4 Veterans (2 Majors, a Lt. Col and a Colonel)qualifying to run against 4 (3 of which are doctors) incumbent GOP U.S. Reps. There was a press event and what I got is that these guys are running against 4 hyperpartisans who are talking a pleasant game but are weak on veterans issues, economic issues, and national defense.

Interesting turn of the tables. It has been a good 40 years since Democrats have been able to play the national defense card in federal races. I am not sure how things were here during the eighties though…that part of the timeline I may be incorrect about.

I am sure something will be in one of the journalist blogs…there were a couple of AJC people. I guess Tom Crawford was one of them.

9. steelfist says:

News Release
    For Immediate Release
    Contact: Terry Rogers
    (706) 499-3010
    Monday, April 28, 2008
    Terry Rogers Files for State Senate

ATLANTA – Terry Rogers, a conservative Republican, officially qualified today for election to the Georgia State Senate in District 50. Rogers, who was the first candidate to announce his intentions to run in District 50, was the first candidate in the race to file papers in the Senate Chamber of the Georgia State Capitol.

Rogers, a successful small businessman, said he will use his real world, private sector experience to tackle the tough issues facing Northeast Georgia.

“I am running for the State Senate because I know Northeast Georgia deserves a full-time Senator because our communities don’t have part-time problems,” said Rogers. “As our State Senator, I will be accessible, listen to our concerns and will get things done through hard work and bringing people together.”

Rogers said he will be an independent voice for Northeast Georgia and his campaign will focus on the conservative issues vital to Northeast Georgia families.

“There are so many wonderful people in this district and I’ve told them, if they give me the honor of representing them in the State Senate, I’ll work to find solutions to the challenges facing our communities like defending our water resources, strengthening local educational control to ensure excellence, bringing new job opportunities to our area and investing in critical rural health care and statewide trauma services in order to save lives,” said Rogers.

Rogers announced early this year that he would run for the State Senate and has been actively campaigning ever since. He’s visited every county in the district and reported earlier this month that he has already raised more than $24,000.

Rogers has been blessed to live, work and raise a family in Northeast Georgia for the past 30 years. He is a past City Commissioner and Mayor Pro-Tem of Cornelia and currently serves on the Habersham County Industrial Authority. He and his wife Laura live in Habersham County and are active members of First Presbyterian Church of Clarkesville.

The 50th Senate District is comprised of eight North Georgia counties including all of Banks, Franklin, Habersham, Hart, Rabun, Stephens, Towns and a portion of White County.

10. rabuncountyman says:

“rabuncountyman – did you jump the gun? no sign of jimmy qualifying. Is he having second thoughts?”

As you well know Jim is in.

11. Goldwater Conservative says:

So Scheafer made up her mind!

So whose it going to be Broun or Fleming?

Our new congressman in the 10th will be decided on July 15th. I encourage even the Democrats to vote in the GOP primary for which candidate you would prefer to be your congressman. Saxon has no chance. That guy is running for class president in a Congressional District. I am suprised that he actually went through will qualifying. He should have stayed home…gotten the extra sleep.

I saw his “speech” at the capitol. I mentioned the little press conference earlier. Two of the guys were excellent. Gillespie spoke way too long. Saxon’s “speech” was nothing but him whining for 3 minutes.

12. John Konop says:

Garrison vs.Trim-Partner for Sheriff?

This has to be a joke. How could a law-and-order candidate have anything to do with Robert Trim, who has been arrested for dirty campaigning?

AJC-A former corporal in the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office is running for the top spot against incumbent Roger Garrison.

The opponent is 36, worked for seven years at the jail and in the public information office before leaving this year. She is currently a public relations consultant and partner with Trim LLC of Woodstock.

The person challenging Sheriff Garrison is a business partner of Robert Trim? WOW!

13. drjay says:

4 of ga’s incumbent congressmen already have qualified primary challengers–and at least a couple more are expected…that’s something…

14. Chris says:

It makes no sense _NOT_ to put someone on the ballot. You never know who the next Mark Foley will be.

If I were a Dem, or my State Rep was a Dem, I’d probably drop the $400 to file too.

15. Rpolitic says:

John
    Lets try some facts,
    1. 7 years as a deputy, 1 year working in the jail as required
    2. Public information officer, community liaison, Crime Analyst etc.
    3. delegated to handle crime scenes in lieu of command staff members (i.e. the sheriff)
    4. Tasked to work with Ga. Sheriff’s Association during legislative session in 2007

And if the best you can do is try and make this race about me. Go ahead. And you can ask Lance Cooper how that worked out too.

When you want facts let me know I will show you the files and the research. Also I would suggest before you make those accusations about “inexperience” you look and see what the current sheriff had for experience before being elected.

One other thought, Nicole is the only candidate who has not been on the government payroll her entire life, she worked in the finance world for 7 years, paid for her own education from a real college, as opposed to the catalog classes paid for by taxpayers for the current sheriff.

16. JSBarrington says:

Got this today- looks like Steve Davis has opposition.

News Release
    _____________________________________
    April 29, 2008

Contact: Trea Pipkin

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Pipkin Qualifies for State House

Trea Pipkin (R-McDonough) filed paperwork today in Atlanta to run for State House, District 109.

House District 109 is comprised of part of Henry County.

Said Pipkin, “It’s time for a change. District 109 faces a deficit of leadership in the State House. As an Assistant District Attorney, I have seen that our current Representative is simply unresponsive to us. And I have seen first hand the growing threats to our families and quality of life. I am running for State Representative to put my experience and skills to work to make our families safer and our community better.”

Continued Pipkin, “My campaign for State House is not about politics, it is about providing our families with the bold, effective leadership they deserve. The time for leadership is now. I ask for your support and the honor to serve as your State Represenative.”

Pipkin is currently serves as an Assistant District Attorney. As an ADA, Pipkin has been working everyday to protect our families. Pipkin has prosecuted over 500 criminal cases in the last 3 years.

A native of Henry County, Pipkin is a graduate of the University of Georgia’s Business School and Georgia State University’s School of Law. He has served as an Assistant District Attorney in Henry County for the past 3 years. Pipkin teaches criminal justice courses at Gordon College. Pipkin is an active member of Eagle’s Landing First Baptist.

For more information, visit http://www.votepipkin.com.

17. JSBarrington says:

Got this today- looks like Steve Davis has opposition.

News Release
    _____________________________________
    April 29, 2008

Contact: Trea Pipkin

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Pipkin Qualifies for State House

House District 109 is comprised of part of Henry County.

For more information, visit http://www.votepipkin.com

18. BlueGOP says:

Scott Crowley For State Representative
    1302 Plant Avenue
    Waycross, Ga 31501
    (912)285-1350
    (912)285-1351 Fax
    [email protected]

Headline:
    CROWLEY TAKES ON BID FOR HOUSE SEAT

Body:
    Pledging to hold himself accountable to the people of Ware and Charlton Counties, Scott Crowley, announced that he will run for the Georgia House of Representatives, District 177, in the Republican General Primary. Crowley, a local attorney, believes the time is right for him to represent the people of this district.

“We have many issues that are important to our area. Our district needs someone who can be an effective advocate for Ware and Charlton Counties at the state level. I believe that cooperation and communication are two of the key ingredients for getting things done. I have always enjoyed advocating and look forward to doing that for the people of this district” Crowley said.

Crowley’s first exposure to the Georgia legislature came in 1993 as a member of his law school’s Law Review which assigned him to cover several bills at the Legislature. Crowley has returned on several occasions with a group of high school students and as a member of Leadership Waycross. Reflecting on his visits to the gold dome Crowley said, “Each time I visited I realized our Capitol is a place that touches the lives of every Georgian. I believe that holding a seat in the Legislature is an awesome responsibility and I am willing to take that responsibility and be accountable to my friends, neighbors, and everyone throughout the district.”

As an attorney, Scott Crowley has provided legal counsel to a broad spectrum of clients including individuals, small businesses, and some of the area’s largest employers. Crowley, who has also served as a leader for a number of boards and organizations, describes his leadership style as servant leadership. Crowley related that servant leadership is based on the teachings of the greatest leader in history – Jesus Christ, and that his education on this style is in part a legacy of his father. “My father worked for a large financial organization with the good sense to recognize the intrinsic value of servant leadership.”

Crowley received his Bachelors in Business Administration from the University of Georgia and graduated with honors from Georgia State University College of Law. Crowley met his wife, Rebecca who serves as the managing attorney for Georgia Legal Services, while in law school. They have three children and attend Grace Episcopal Church. Crowley believes his leadership experience, his proven communication skills, and his natural love of advocacy are a winning combination that will serve the residents of District 177 well.

Crowley’s passion and positive energy are readily apparent. Crowley said that in talking with friends, neighbors, and business owners he knows that people have many issues they are concerned with, but that they also share his same pride in this community. Crowley in reflecting on raising three children in this community said that he wants make sure they are raised in an environment where health, safety, education, and pride are valued.

Because of this, Crowley said that the citizens of Ware and Charlton Counties need 2020 vision. Explaining this, Crowley said “When my son graduates from high school in 2020 I want him and his fellow graduates to tell their parents how glad they are to have been raised in this community and that they look forward to spending the rest of their lives here.“

As Crowley takes on the challenge of this election, he stated he offers a challenge to the people of Waycross and Folkston and their respective counties. I want everyone to take a few moments to think about what your vision is for the Okefenokee region in 2020. If in responding to this challenge your Okefenokee 2020 vision includes seeing current businesses expand and prosper; new businesses that realized the value of coming to our region; a comprehensive education system that leaves students prepared for their working lives; an appreciation for the area’s unique natural wonders, religious institutions, and cultural offerings; a network of good health care for all generations; and well-trained public safety personnel, then do what you can to make this vision happen. As for Crowley, he says he welcomes the opportunity to talk with anyone about what their vision for Okefenokee 2020 looks like.

19. John Konop says:

Sheriff Garrison from what I have seen has done a great job bottom line.

When I ran against Tom Price he endorsed Tom yet always treated my family and I well.

This looks like a private vendetta by Robert Trim because Sherriff Garrison arrested him for nasty and dirty campaigning.

I will donate money and help Roger because the job of sheriff can not be a front person for political operatives like Robert Trim.

20. Rpolitic says:

John,
    You won’t take the time for the research about the bottom line or anything else. If you were sincere about your issues of controlling spending, corruption etc… then you would do the research. But you are all talk and no substance.

21. GOPeach here says:

Let’s GET RID of these RINOS
    And elect some REAL CONSERVATIVES
    to the capital!!!!!!!!

We need someone like Huckabee or RON PAUL
    to take back OUR PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Goldwater Conservative says:

The last thing this country needs are sociopaths like Paul or Huckabee running it.

23. Scott Ballard (aka Dad), the DA for the Griffin Circuit (Fayette, Spalding, Pike, and Upson Counties), qualifed on Monday.

As of now, it looks like he will face one opponent in the GOP primary.

I also noticed that Rep. John Yates (R-Griffin) will face opposition this July. That took me by surprise.

24. Icarus says:

Scott, your dad is a good man. (so is your grandfather, for that matter.) He should be O.K.

Yates will whip his challenger. There’s no way Spalding County will ever vote for a guy who lives in Whitewater Creek in Fayette.

25. steelfist says:

News Release:

For Immediate Release Contact: Rick Austin – (706) 499-8954
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008
    RICK AUSTIN QUALIFIES FOR STATE HOUSE

ATLANTA, GA – Republican Habersham County Commissioner Rick Austin qualified today for election to the Georgia State House in District 10. Austin, who was joined by his wife Jennifer and two sons, Sloan and Brice, filed papers in the Senate Chamber of the Georgia State Capitol.

“We need a strong, conservative voice in the State House who will work to end the ‘government as usual’ attitude and seek solutions to the challenges we face,” said Austin. “I believe we can do better and we must do better so future generations will want to live, work and raise a family here in North Georgia.”

Austin announced in February that he would run for the State House and formally kicked-off his campaign at an event last month. He said his campaign will focus on the issues important to the voters in Habersham and White Counties including long term water management solutions, funding for economic development, improving educational opportunities for our children, and stopping tax increases and unfunded mandates on North Georgians. He said he would vote the interest of his district after listening to what is best from the voters in District 10.

“We need a State Representative with a proven record looking out for our interests in Atlanta,” Austin said. “I’m proud of my record preventing tax increases, protecting our values and fighting to lessen the interference of government in our lives. With the support of the voters, I will continue to provide the same leadership in the state house that I’ve provided on the county commission.”

Austin has a long history of public service, including four years on the Habersham County Commission. He regularly volunteers time in the local schools and is a long time coach in recreation football, basketball, and Little League baseball, where he coaches two baseball teams each spring.

He and his wife Jennifer have been married since 1990 and they have two children – Sloan, 12 and Brice, 9. The Austins are members of Level Grove Baptist Church where Rick serves as a deacon and the Director of Royal Ambassadors.

The 10th State House District is comprised of two North Georgia counties, all of Habersham County and a portion of White County.

###