Oxendine to begin raising money

John Oxendine has filed the paper to accept contributions for a potential run for Governor in 2010:

Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine filed his paperwork Wednesday to begin raising money to run for governor in 2010. The Republican made clear he plans to campaign on tax cuts.

“As a Georgia taxpayer, I am disappointed the tax breaks we were all promised were not passed by the General Assembly,” Oxendine said in a press release. “On April 30, I, as so many of my fellow Georgians do year after year, will be paying the annual birthday ad-valorem tax on my automobile.

“I would hope the governor and the Legislature could also help the taxpayer by agreeing on the tax breaks which have been proposed.”

Should we take that comment about the tax breaks to mean the he supported the Speaker’s proposal over the more economically beneficial cut in the income tax?

1. moocher says:

He has to file early enough so he can pressure the insurance agents into contributing. Once they are sure he won’t chicken out by running for Insurance Commissioner again, and he attains lame duck status, they won’t be afraid of him and the contributions will dry up.

2. StevePerkins says:

I think we should take it as yet another guy running on a platform of “tax reform”, without discussing how it will be balanced on the spending side. Oxendine’s main advantage is that all the other Party leaders have talked about it but failed, whereas he hasn’t his chance to fail yet. It’s hard for me to get too excited either way, given that I don’t really consider passing any of these tax-shifting schemes to be a “success”.

3. Gag Halfrunt says:

Is Oxendine still in the race?

I would have thought that he would have changed his mind by now.

4. saltynuts says:

I’d say that it’s more than not having had a chance to fail at tax relief yet that the Ox has going for him.

Looking at the other often-mentioned candidates (aka, pretenders to the throne), which one of them has any experience running a state agency?

And you gotta give the guy props for having about the only state agency where people can call for help, and actually get some help.

You don’t hear of people calling the DMV for assistance, do you? Or even the Governor’s Office for Consumer Affairs.

5. CobbGOPer says:

Ox is in the race until Isakson announces, just like anyone else who makes these pronouncements before Johnny makes his decision.

And Johnny will run. You can take that to the bank.

6. saltynuts says:

>>And Johnny will run. You can take that to the bank.

Does everyone really think Johnny’s invincible? Even after immigration?

7. Icarus says:

“Does everyone really think Johnny’s invincible? Even after immigration?”

yes, if Icarus = everyone.

8. Angie Montgomery says:

He had some great quotes on the Political Insider blog as to why he might be the better candidate over the names previously mentioned.

9. Brian from Ellijay says:

This reminds me of a 2004 State Senate race.

Craig Dowdy announced, everybody liked him most supported him, no real opponent…then Chip Rogers got in.

Chip beat Craig 71%-29%

10. emyscott23 says:

I believe that SaltyNuts is Nuts! You don’t know anything about Isakson’s stance on Immigration. He is the only one in DC actually trying to change things. I would personally like to see him stay in the Senate, but if he does run for Governor, he will be Governor and a great one at that.