12% Of HOPE Scholars Need Remedial Help

“Twelve percent of college freshmen who have the HOPE Scholarship, awarded to Georgia students who graduate from high school with at least a B average, received learning support in fall 2006, according to the University System of Georgia,” the Macon Telegraph reports today.

Yeah, I’m glad that those predictions of grade inflation in High School being the result of the HOPE Scholarship are clearly totally unfounded…oh, wait.

1. StevePerkins says:

Do we still even have “gifted classes”? I thought they had fallen out of favor, because they run counter to EVERYONE’s belief that THEIR child is “gifted”. Self-esteem above all, of course.

2. John Konop says:

Steve

Kathy Cox is eliminating gifted programs in math with her with her teach to the middle math 123 program.

We can then hear from Kathy Cox how well students did with the lower standards on the standardize test for gifted and advance kids. And watch non-college bound students drop out at an alarming rate.

Kathy Cox will make sure our prisons are filled with drop outs. While are best and brightest go to private schools for a challenge or get one size fit all middle of the road education.

Your tax dollars at work!

3. moocher says:

John-

This has nothing to do with whether Cox eliminated gifted classes or not. If everyone was “pushed to the middle”, then it would be an improvement over the current group of remedial B students.

4. moocher says:

Yes, since the middle is average they shouldn’t need remedial classes with a B average.

Now it wouldn’t surprise me if a remedial High School student needed remedial help in college.

5. John Konop says:

Moocher,

I know of kids who stop taking harder classes via not wanting to be inedible for the Hope scholarship. Lack of challenge creates bad study hobbits and test performance.

Teaching to the middle will not fix the problem. In fact if you talk to any good teacher they will tell you lack of challenge creates behavior problems.

6. Holly says:

There are still gifted programs in Georgia. In fact, Georgia is a leader in gifted education. Kathy Cox isn’t getting rid of the program. At least in my part of the state, the program is growning. I can’t speak for the rest of the state, of course, but I’ve heard very good things about gifted education in the Atlanta area.

7. John Konop says:

Holly

Wrong Math 123 does not accommodate gifted math correctly since it does not follow the University system. We have some students grandfathered in some areas like my son in 8th grade now but he will be in the last class.

8. John Konop says:

Holly,

The concept behind No Child Left Behind is a spin game. Politicians like Kathy Cox will knowingly use terms like gifted hoping people will not look behind the spin for the truth.

State tests put image ahead of performance

USATODAY-WASHINGTON — Almost every fourth-grader in Mississippi knows how to read. In Massachusetts, only half do.

So what’s Mississippi doing that Massachusetts, the state with the most college graduates, isn’t? Setting expectations too low, critics say.
    The 2002 federal No Child Left Behind law was designed to raise education standards across the country by punishing schools that fail to make all kids proficient in math and reading.
    But the law allows each state to chart its own course in meeting those objectives.

The result, according to a Gannett News Service analysis of test scores, is that many states have taken the safe route, keeping standards low and fooling parents into believing their kids are prepared for college and work.

9. Holly says:

John, I am no fan of NCLB. Ask anyone on this site.

I was a classroom teacher; I said right after the law was passed that it was flawed as written, and though the intention was good, it wasn’t going to work.

That said, my mother is a gifted facilitator. Under her, the high school program in her county is growing. I don’t know about Math 123, but I do know that the gifted program here is identifying, enrolling, and serving more students.