The Libertarian Streak in Me

I just can’t get upset about these funding cuts. I have full faith in the museums, particularly the Sports Hall of Fame, to be able to fundraise and get up the money needed to sustain itself.

The basic message from Atlanta is clear for the Georgia sports and music halls of fame: Wean yourself from state subsidies during the next few years, because the money will be drying up.

Here’s the troubling part to me:

Bibb County already funds the Tubman African American Museum and the Museum of Arts and Sciences with more than $350,000 apiece each year.

Why? They are great museums, but the county is already struggling. It has to build a new courthouse. That’s $700,000.00 that could be better spent.

I’m not totally opposed to some government subsidization because I do think there is a role for government to promote some level of civic interaction with culture to help foster a continuation of good culture — that’s why I’m a conservative, not a libertarian. But I would say that the level of involvement should be miniscule and more toward a bias of capitalization and not support for keeping the doors open.

1. Hank Reardan says:

Erick if you would like to join the party here is a link. http://www.lpgeorgia.com/donate.html.
    I myself joined the Republican party (dues paying ) this week. I believe you can be a member of both parties and fight for Liberty , freedom and smaller government. People get stuck on labels to often, If you are fighting for lower taxes and freedom I will help that group no matter what label they wear.

2. Dave Bearse says:

The Macon musesums probably need not fear House Appropriations Chairman Ben Harbin cutting them off until after the Golf Hall of Fame in his backyard is complete, and from what I read, garden and not hall is a more apt description of its current state.

3. ProfG says:

What the heck is a “libertarian streak”?

“I’m for limited government, except when I’m against it.”

Welcome to the modern, principled GOP.

4. Hank Reardan says:

Prof G
    I do believe that is what scares a lot of people away from real Libertarians,We tend to see black and white only most of us do not see the gray areas. We tend to be to hardcore for the average person. We dont believe in sometimes.

5. StevePerkins says:

How sad is it that when a Republican wants to CUT spending on something, he refers to it as his “libertarian streak”. It used to be that we at least pretended that this was part of conservative philosophy too.

6. ProfG says:

“If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.” — Ronald Reagan (http://www.reason.com/news/show/29318.html)