Georgians visit His Holiness

I’m afraid if you were reading Peach Pundit exclusively this week to avoid the all-pope-all-the-time media coverage you’ll want to cover your eyes.

Several Georgians were at the White House to welcome the Pope with the President. Senator David Shafer relays his impression to Dick Pettys of Insider Advantage (its behind a pay-wall, but I’m told its ok to post):

(4/16/08) As it turns out, there were a number of Georgia officials at the White House Wednesday morning welcoming Pope Benedict XVI to America.

Sen. David Shafer, R-Duluth, was among them and he offered some details of the ceremony along with his impressions in a telephone interview..

Shafer said that freedom was a main theme of the Pope’s remarks and that he praised the work of his predecessor, the late John Paul II, in combating totalitarianism. He also said the Pope made specific reference to “the countless memorials in towns and cities in the United States honoring Americans who gave their lives not just for the freedom of this country but of people throughout the world.”

Said Shafer: “I thought it was significant that he publicly paid tribute to America’s war dead and recognized that the American military has been an instrument for advancing the cause of freedom.”

Shafer, who is not Catholic, praised the Catholic Church as “an important religious and social institution that has contributed greatly to humanity” and said it was “thrilling to be in the presence of the spiritual leader of so many Christians and the heir to the Apostle Peter as head of the Roman church.”

Also on hand, according to Shafer, were Sen. Don Balfour, R-Snellville, Rep. Calvin Smyre, D-Columbus, ex-Christian Coalition chief Ralph Reed and former Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Shafer said that he planned to attend White House briefings Wednesday afternoon on trade, housing and the environment.

1. boyreporter says:

I heard Bill Simon volunteered to be an altar boy as long as the “don’t ask/don’t tell” system is in place and he gets to wear one of those swell dresses. Oh, and gets a Coke and a Snickers bar afterward.

2. Burdell says:

This seems like a good thing for Senator Shafer to update his blog with.

Hint, hint, Senator. 😉

3. jsm says:

Matt. 19:17 “And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Why is the pope considered holy?

4. boyreporter says:

Why, in 2008, is there a religion based on killing a very good guy, who becomes a zombie after three days and plays hide-and-seek for two-thousand years, and stuff?

5. rugby fan says:

The position of Pope is considered holy.

As a person, the Pope is (supposed to be) holy through his piousness and devotion, the same way the saints and Mary are holy.

Chris (the Farrisee):

This is not news.

I think I’ve said many times how Pope Benny and myself are borderline BFFs, and in fact, I think he might write up a little encyclical about a some thread that one time dared to dream.

6. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Ralph Reed was there? Does the Christian Coalition even recognize Catholicism? Are Catholics even part of the the Coalition? I ask this seriously because I’ve been told on more than one occasion down here in the south, that Catholics are not considered Christians.

Rugby, I think I’ve mentioned this to you in the past.

7. I’m not exactly an expert on the CC either.. but while the CC and the Catholic church might not seem like a good match at first, the CC is a political organization, and the Catholic church can be quite conservative on the same social issues that are the CC’s bread and butter.

8. Tea Party says:

I think the better question is, “Does the Catholic Church recognize the Christian Coalition?”

@boy – go comb your hair.