Paul Broun on how to take the pledge

I never thought I’d see the day when Peach Pundit links to Raw Story, let alone be the one linking, but they have a story up about Paul Broun instructing the House of Representatives on how to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Apparently you should not pause between “under God” and “indivisible”.

“As a Marine, clearly, he’s had to face a lot more difficult challenges than instructing Members of Congress on the proper way of saying the Pledge of Allegiance,” spokesman John Kennedy told Roll Call’s Heard on the Hill column. “There is, in fact, no comma in that section. So correctly, it’s said, ‘One nation under [God],’ no separation or implied separation between nation and God.”

Of course, I’m sure Raw Story thinks this is a bad thing. I think this will probably go over well in the 10th District.

1. LymanHall says:

For someone who was never sworn in, Broun certainly sends a lot of franked mail–right before the 90 day blackout period before his primary election to boot. How many thousands of taxpayer dollars has he wasted sending us these letters letting us know he is a fiscal conservative? I guess free publicity on the government’s dime is too attractive once you get to Washington, even for a self-styled champion of the taxpayer.

2. bowersville says:

“I guess free publicity…once you get to Washington..” by using the mail is too attractive.

Fleming has repeatedly thrown out this argument with spin, half truths and innuendos as you would expect from a trial lawyer.

Maybe somewhere you can offer a quote from Fleming that he will not use congressional mail to communicate with CD 10 voters.

You can’t because Fleming hasn’t.

3. Jace Walden says:

I am a huge fan of Congressman-elect Broun, however, I am concerned that he may have an ethics problem…having never been sworn in, it is a huge integrity violation to go around calling oneself “Congressman” rather than “Congressman-elect”. I hope he does better in the future.

4. Jace Walden says:

Oh,

And the fact that Flemming’s Lemming’s keep tossing around that stale, old “letterhead” issue should give us a good indication of what a Turd this “Flemming” character is.

5. ProfG says:

Wikipedia: “Elected officials and the postal service are both endowed by the taxpayer. Adding an official’s mail to the existing mailstream does not change the total fixed cost of the postal system for the taxpayer, and avoids reciprocal accounting transactions. However, it is argued that due to variable cost the total cost is increased.”

BG

6. Old Vet says:

I am seldom called upon to recite the pledge, once every few years or so, but I am always silent for those two words, “under God”. They weren’t there when I first learned the pledge in grade school, and they conflict with my notion of separation of church and state.

7. Rogue109 says:

That’s just it: your notion. The prohibition you speak of only prohibits a State-sponsored religion, not any mention of religion in any form.

8. Donkey Kong says:

Fellas,

Terrible news. Wikipedia and the ABH must be in on the Tanalach conspiracy. At the bottom of the 10th District’s wiki is a link claiming to portray Broun’s swearing in:

The article in question was printed in the ABH. If that alone is not enough to provide doubt as to the accuracy of the story (excluding you, Blake), the picture of his swearing in is *obviously* photoshopped — that woman standing to his right in the beige suit is said to have spent the last year and a half attending to the menu in the Congressional cafeteria, only stepping outside to when she deems it necessary to unequivocally proclaim failure in Iraq. The tentacles of the Tanalach conspiracy are indeed far-reaching.

9. Donkey Kong says:

(sorry for the bum link…you may actually have to copy and paste it into your browser…how terrifying)

10. Romegaguy says:

DK, it was just weeks ago where wiki was saying there was doubt that Broun was sworn in and that he has never addressed the issue. Now the thruth has been removed.

DAMN YOU TANALACH MEDIA!

11. Icarus says:

Don’t you all think that he should be instructed how to take his own oath to be sworn in before he starts instructing others on how to say the pledge?

Maybe HE’S part of the TMC too?

12. Howard Roark says:

To get back on topic. The correct way to say the pledge is One Nation Under God without a pause. I have coached several national champion parliamentary procedure teams on both middle and high school levels. In our opening ceremonies saying One Nation Under God with a pause automatically ensures a loss in the contest.