Barry Fleming Works Hard

He earned his keep this session.

State Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, received payment for the second-highest amount of taxpayer money — $40,099 over 157 workdays — of all House and Senate members during 2007, according to a Morris News Service review of lawmakers’ expense records.

That’s in addition to the $17,000 salary all state House and Senate members receive each year.

As House majority whip, Mr. Fleming is one of roughly a dozen lawmakers with the power to bill taxpayers for work beyond the 40-day session and days for committee work for which all lawmakers can request per diem payments. He used officials days 95 times in 2007, according to state records.

1. bowersville says:

Fleming put in 157 days of work for this past worthless legislative session and for what?

No tax relief.

I don’t even know where to begin in describing this last session in the Georgia house.

I guess if we could somehow get Boss Hog to appear in Animal House I would have the words.

2. bowersville says:

Another GoPeach post….where’s Fleming’s spin on this?

Holly, and company?

Surely Fleming and Sailors aren’t in the same boat.

3. Holly says:

Since I was asked, my answer is that I don’t know. I know what per diem is, and I know why it’s requested, so I can only suggest that Barry worked on state stuff an extra 157 days. Given that everyone above him except the Speaker is paid on a year-round salary, I’d guess that Glenn Richardson was the most highest paid for per diem, but I don’t know that from this post because Erick didn’t talk about everyone who used per diem but Barry Fleming.

I will suggest – as myself, and only myself – that if there was a real concern about per diem in the state on the behalf of our good posters here at Peach Pundit, they’d have listed everyone who used it, or at least the person who used more than Barry Fleming, too.

4. drjay says:

in fairness to erick–who does have a bit of an agenda here-the link is to an augusta chronicle article that does mention st sen jeff mullis as the most per diemist member of the legislature and as an augustacentric article it lists the per diem expenses of all the members in there readership area…

5. Holly says:

Dr. Jay, I didn’t read the article, but after you pointed it out, I read it. You’re right, it was Jeff Mullis. And I’ll point out again that if the per diem was a real concern, there would be a post about all the top users. There isn’t; it’s very targeted.

6. The Comma Guy says:

365 days in a year

104 weekend days
    12 state holidays

249 possible working days in the year. And he billed the state for 157 at his part time job. That’s 63% of the “working” year spent on this job.

7. drjay says:

are you pointing out that its really more than a part time job or that you think its shady that he billed so many days??

8. moocher says:

Let’s get realistic about this. Barry has a legitimate leadership position and he’s putting in a lot of hours in for the state of Georgia. He could make way more money practicing law than on those days he’s driving from Augusta to Atlanta.

When your colleagues make you a leader, you’re generally considered someone who rises above the level of deadbeat who can’t get a job.

To me the travesty is the Atlanta Legislators who are able to collect a per diem for driving 5 minutes to the Capital. The rebuttal seems to be, “Well they have to pay taxes on the per diem while the rural guys don’t.” I’ve never seen the point of that argument other then the IRS has figured out it’s not legit to give a per diem to a local legislator so it’s considered income versus a legitimate expense reimbursement.

9. Just the Facts Please says:

Has anyone gotten the “road trip” journals yet from Sharon Beasley-Teague? Now there’s a creative accounting state rep if I ever saw one.