Schaefer dropping out?

Peach Pundit reader “bowersville” wrote in another thread that State Sen. Nancy Schaefer has dropped out of the race in the 10th Congressional district, citing her husbands health.

Does anyone out there have a copy of the press release that they could forward along?

Our thoughts and prayers are with Sen. Schaefer.

[UPDATE] Here is the press release sent by Schaefer and the story was picked up by The Northeast Georgian.

1. Romegaguy says:

Uhhh did she use her Official State Legislative letterhead to send out the announcement?

Sorry to hear about her husband. Not sorry she wont be in the State Senate or (if something REALLY went wrong) in Congress.

2. Romegaguy says:

Campaign or state email? Shouldnt the PDF still say paid for by her Congressional Campaign?

3. Holly says:

Oh dear. No matter what, you don’t want to see someone withdrawing from a race because of health issues. I hope things work out for the Schaefers.

4. boyreporter says:

Sorry about her husband, but Nancy’s dropping out just raised the average IQ level of the candidate list.

5. bowersville says:

It makes absolutely no difference how Senator Schaefer sent the message out. It was an email.

Romegags hang-up is he/she/it is hung-up in the fine print, worthless details and spin.

Just like AuH2O & I-Mike, Romegag knows the primary is now one on one and Fleming may actually have to get out and campaign rather than pay lip service to the local GOPs.

6. Holly says:

If RomeGaGuy is from Rome, I doubt he’s on Senator Schaefer’s email list – it’s the opposite side of the state. Yes, it should’ve been sent on campaign letterhead, and probably in hindsight, she’ll realize her mistake. From what I understand, this decision was apparently was made fairly suddenly, so I can imagine the stress led her to do things in a bit of a fog. Given that we all now know it was an email sent from an Alltel account, I imagine any questions can be laid to rest and that most (all) of us would be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on the letterhead. (However, it was a fair question to ask – I don’t think RomeGaGuy meant anything badly by it.)

7. bowersville says:

It’s not a fair question. It’s a dumb and insensitive question from anybody supporting Fleming.

For the record, I have never voted for Schaefer, but for this Fleming supporter to lay this burden on her and Bruce is unimaginable.

8. nancy hart says:

State Sen. Schaefer withdraws from 10th District race in Georgia

By Elaine Irvin/Special to the Independent-Mail
    Saturday, April 12, 2008

Clarksesville — Georgia State Sen. Nancy Schaefer, R-Turnerville, has withdrawn her candidacy for the 10th District U.S. Congressional seat held by Dr. Paul Broun of Athens.

Mrs. Schaefer, a Habersham County resident, cited her husband’s health concerns as the reason for her withdrawal from the race. She has served the 50th District of Georgia for nearly four years. That district includes eight counties: Banks, Franklin, Habersham, Hart, Rabun, Towns, Union and White.

Georgia’s 10th District serves 21 counties, many of them located along the state’s eastern border with South Carolina. They span an area that begins with a portion of Richmond County in the south, to Rabun and Towns counties in the north, and includes a number of middle Georgia counties.

Mrs. Schaefer was the second announced Republican candidate to qualify for the seat, with State Rep. Barry Fleming announcing first. Only one Democratic challenger had qualified when Mrs. Schaefer entered the race: Iraq war veteran Bobby Saxon of Jackson, Ga.

Dr. Broun has held the seat since a closely won special election vacated upon the death of Congressman Charlie Norwood.

Mrs. Schaefer said Friday that she will serve the remainder of her term in Georgia’s 50th District, until the end of 2008. Mrs. Schaefer did not say whether she would endorse a candidate.

Filing officially openings for the position on April 28 and ends on May 2.

9. Chris says:

Wow Rome – talk about losing credibility on this blog….

You don’t even know who you support? Seesh.

10. Romegaguy says:

I know.

Maybe Erick should give me front page posting status. I promise I would just stick to the Georgia Gang and anything else not about Georgia politics.

Wait, that would be Spacey’s role…

11. Chris says:

Rome – Don’t forget the “us new media types are way cooler than those old-media squares” posts.

12. Goldwater Conservative says:

So…it seems as if everybody believes that she dropped out because of her husbands health.

I know it sounds insensitive, but she probably came to her senses and realized that she can not win. Perhaps the humiliation is what prompted her husbands heart problems.

13. bowersville says:

…it seems everybody believes…(it).

Not really, what you are saying is the topic of private conversations.

14. Holly says:

RomeGaGuy,

Clearly, anyone who would dare question the correctness of campaign funds vs. official funds MUST be a Fleming supporter. Did you not get the memo? 😉

All joking aside, I think that Senator Schaefer chose the wrong stationary, but it was an accident that wouldn’t have any real consequences since she sent it out via a personal email. I don’t think it’s fair to question her motives. If she says her husband is sick and she needs to focus on that, I believe her and we should leave it at that.

15. bowersville says:

There was a reason Senator Schaefer labeled Barry Fleming a liberal republican trial lawyer.

It worked for her before in her bid for the 50th Senate in a three candidate republican primary. One of her opponents was an elected official/attorney.

She must have anticipated the charges of wrong stationary, campaign funds vs official funds. I anticipated, based on several debates that I heard at the time, she would respond by: That’s what I expect from a liberal trial lawyer, but I believe the people want to hear from their elected officials on the issues.

IMO, her opponent at the time, elected official/attorney, won every debate I attended. Schaefer won the votes.

16. bowersville says:

Oh no, Oh no. I just opened my email and there was another one from Senator Schaefer on the same PDF format as the one displayed by Pye with the same alltell.net address.

It was a legislative summary with a reminder that she would serve the 50th through ’08 and she has withdrawn from the 10th congressional race.

Gasp. She must not have learned from her mistakes.

I think her subliminal message was “You Fleming supporters can shove it.”

17. Holly says:

If she’s reminding you she’s still serving in her official capacity as a state legislator through the end of the year, she SHOULD have sent it out on official letterhead. I think you’re looking for something that’s not there, bowersville.

18. bowersville says:

Holly, I respect your opinion and I have with great reluctance taken you on directly.

Schaefer included a reminder “she has withdrawn from the 10th congressional race.”

I’m not looking for something that is not there, but the skillfull parsing of the english language from Fleming and his supporters is falling on deaf ears.

19. Holly says:

Yes, but she’s making a distinction that she’s withdrawing from the 10th CD race, not her official duties. I think she’s trying to clarify that for those who are concerned she’s giving up both.

Had you read what I said earlier, you’d know that I don’t think she can be in any trouble for choosing the wrong letterhead, though it WAS the wrong letterhead to use. That’s not me trying to attack her. That’s the truth. You aren’t supposed to use official letterhead for campaign purposes. And again, I said that she made an honest mistake and that no one would go after her for it. If you can point to a specific point where the Fleming campaign has gone after her, I’ll stand corrected. Until that time, I’ll think I’m right and you’re wrong.

20. bowersville says:

I know you are not trying to attack her.

I’ve edited and deleted the rest of my comment as it is falling on the deaf ears of Fleming’s supporters.