This needs resolution [UPDATED]

I heard from a man yesterday who has applied for a concealed weapon permit in Bibb County. The county informed him it could take 9 months to process the application.

9 months? WTH?! That seems like a ridiculously long time. Is it just Bibb County or are other counties as slow?

[UPDATE:] Having never even thought of applying for a concealed weapons permit myself, I did not realize until you guys started commenting that the process goes through the probate court. Well, I know the probate judge in Bibb County. We’ve traded some emails on this one. Both he and his staff assure me that they process their licenses in a timely manner. The only time it take longer is if someone’s fingerprints have been rejected by the FBI, which appears to be the case in this situation.

Thanks Judge Self for clearing up this situation.

1. Old Vet says:

The Georgia Code states that the probate judge shall issue a license within 60 days of the date of the application if no derogarory information is forthcoming. (The local law enforcement agency has 50 days to get back to the judge with the results of the background check.) That’s at O.C.G.A. Code Section 16-11-129.

2. Old School Politics says:

This is true.

Here is the process:

Go to the Probate Court office and fill out the paper work.

Go to the Sherriffs office to get fingerprints

Go to the bank to get a certified/cashiers check

Go back to the Probate Court with fingerprints and cashiers check to finalize the process

Application and fingerprints are sent off to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. The GBI processes the fingerprints and application to ensure that you are not a criminal and probably stores your prints in a database.

This process takes a long time.

Be prepared to spend at least 3 or 4 hours running around doing everything that is involved with the application process.

By the way, the Probate Court does not notify you when the GBI signs off on the application and your permit is ready to be picked up. You have to write a reminder down on your calender to follow back up with the Probate Court months later.

Erick, I suggest that you experience this hassle for yourself and go get your permit. Maybe you can do something to change this.

3. Malum Prohibitum says:

After http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org sued my probate judge, the processing times dropped from more than four months to an average of 13 days.

Although all counties use the same systems, GCIC, NCIC, and NICS, the average processing times are drastically different, leading one to the conclusion that this problem resides in Bibb County only and not in the background check process.

Here is a link to average processing times in a sampling of other counties for comparison.

As you can see, processing times range from same day to 75 days, depending on the county. There is simply no viable excuse for 9 months. That is ludicrous, and I would like to hear the probate judge’s reason for violating the state statute, which states, “Not later than 60 days after the date of the application, the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license . . .”

So, what is his excuse? And, whatever it is, why is this same excuse not affecting other counties. It is time for Bibb County residents to clean house. You do know that the position of Probate Judge is an elected one, correct?

4. Tinkerhell says:

I think it depends on who is doing the talking. I’m working with a fellow now that just picked up his application from the probate court. He was advised 8-12 weeks. This individual is a member of http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org so the process will be followed closely and if they do indeed exceed the limits imposed by Ga Code I’m 100% confident that GCO will checking into the matter.

BTW: Erick, that offer of assistance with your shotgun purchase and your membership to GCO is still on the table. Check you email from me 🙂

5. Rick Day says:

It took me about 30 days in Gilmer County.

Besides, who needs a permit? Permit only helps if you get caught.

Like tokin’ the reefer, permit laws only cower the meek.

er..like me.

6. Thorsen says:

HB 89 should take care of many of the problems that some people experienced regarding timely issuance of their Georgia Firearms License.

Personally, I dealt with Walton county probate, and while not out and out anti, they certainly tried to drag their feet over issuing me my license. Fortuntely, I had the good folks at GeorgiaCarry.org to draw on for guideance on how to best ensure the bureacracy kept moving my license along, so instead of getting it in the 4-6 month window that the probate court kept quoting me, I obtained it within 40 days. A much more reasonable timeframe.

7. Howard Roark says:

When I applied for my permit in my home county I stopped by the probate office, filled out my paperwork, went to the sheriffs office to have my background check run and finger prints done. I carried my paperwork back to the probate office and had my permit about 1 hour after the process started. My first carry permit in Clarke county took 6 weeks to obtain in 1984.

8. curt flood says:

Anybody visiting Probate Court the first time will notice that one can apply for both a Pistol Carry permit, as well as a Marriage License in the same spot. Mighty convenient, that probate court.

9. Old School Politics says:

Erick,

I still think you should consider getting your own permit even if you dont carry a firearm.