And He’s Right

The Speaker is largely responsible for trauma funding failing.

State Sen. Eric Johnson says House Speaker Glenn Richardson pulled the plug on a plan to permanently pay for treating critically injured people.

The Senate president pro tem gave his post-mortem on potential legislation to fund trauma treatment Tuesday at Memorial University Medical Center.

Memorial has one of Georgia’s 15 trauma-care centers and one of the financially strapped network’s four Level 1 units.

The quest for a permanent solution “died on the operating table,” said Johnson, a Savannah Republican.

He didn’t get his not so GREAT plan so no one else got their big plans either.

It’s all so elementary school.

1. Painterman says:

Excuse me, but it was the Speaker before the session started who talked about the need for Trauma care help and how to fund it. The Speaker was talking tax releif for over a year. He was at the conference meeting to get a deal done, but the senate failed to do it’s part. Yet he’s responsible for none of it happening? If Mark Taylor had been Lt Gov, the senators would have forced a vote on these items and they would have passed. Quit carring the water for the senate and the brain dead Lt Gov. The stench of the dead bill’s lays at their feet.

2. Icarus says:

The Speaker and his minions did a lot of talking. They refused to share details, even though it was easy to poke holes in the details they did share.

It has been clear for one year that The Speaker didn’t have a real plan, and kept trying to throw things at the wall and see what would stick, but refused to work with the Senate, The Gov’s office, Local officials, or anyone else that wanted tax relief, but could see the obvious problems in his approach.

So all his talk, as usual, was complete hot air, based on the expansion of his own ego, and not the needs of the people of Georgia.

3. Chris says:

The Speaker came down off his mountian saying “behold! I am the Speaker and this is my tax plan. Now Pass it”. The rest of the legislature – including many in the house who thought the plan reaked but couldn’t say anything for fear of being Graved – said “a wha?” and they proceeded to work on a plan that was NOT a massive constitutional entitlement program for local municipalities.

Face it painterman – your guy lost in July 06. The voters of Georgia are sick of the stench of corruption coming from corrupt politicans. Hopefully the members of the House Republican Caucus will get that message and elect someone who can lead, and isn’t in bed with lobbyists.

4. ksuowls81 says:

Even though he is the favorite whooping boy of this board, it wasn’t just the Speakers fault. I believe it was the fault of all involved. It’s easy to lay blame on one individual. But the fact of the matter is that both the Lt. Gov. and the Speaker are both hard headed.

I have never heard of a tax cut plan being bashed by Republicans so bad. It’s a tax cut for christsake. If it would have passed it would not have meant the end of public education and the fall of the state of Georgia.

In my humble opinion I think that we put more then enough money into education. It is the second highest funded area in the state of Georgia (with human services being first). We could put billions more in education and we would not get any better then we are know. The state of our public education lies with the type of students that are in our school system. Until we can educate parents to educate their children about the falls of a life with out a proper education we will go no where.

5. Icarus says:

“I have never heard of a tax cut plan being bashed by Republicans so bad. It’s a tax cut for christsake. ”

You’re illustrating the Speaker’s problem very well, KSU.

It wasn’t JUST a tax cut. It, in all forms, had an effect on how local governments are allowed to raise revenue, and centralized power in Atlanta, mostly in the hands of the Speaker.

Glenn has very much earned his “whooping boy” status.

He paid a consulting fee to Arthur Laffer, then decided to ignore his advice about a preferable income tax cut to latch on to the coattails of the political buzzworthy “fairtax” with his GreatTax.

He tried to continue business as usual with last year’s supplemental by claiming pork was a form of returning the people’s money to them by giving them much needed local projects.

His association with lobbyists are questionable at best; He illustrated that he believes he is above the laws of us commers by judge shopping his divorce.

Every action of his is thinly disguised as a consolodation of power in his office.

If you think that getting a few dollars back on your birthday is worth you local counties losing control over their board of education, emergency services, and local quality of life decisions, then please, continue to support all his bills because, after all, it’s a tax cut for christsake.

6. Rick A. says:

So, according to the logic of KSU, the children of Georgia are 48th or so on the list of most ignorant children in the nation because that is the best we can hope for because of their TYPE???? Come on. Georgia stinks at public education for a multitude of reasons…none of which is because we can expect no better from them than we are getting…with or without parental involvement.

For starters, funding needs to increase. The hoops that teachers must jump through must decrease. Mainstreaming must stop. NCLB has to be repealed etc…

I agree that parents have a great deal to do with the successes or failures of their children. You said yourself that human services comes in first on the list in terms of funding. Perhaps if we stopped propping up adults who refuse to get an education or work or hold their children accountable we might get somewhere. But, alas, the only thing we have taught our children, AND their parents in this entitlement society, is that there is no consequence to poor choices or behaviors because the government will bail their rear ends out.

7. eehrhart says:

Over and over again the House offered a way to fund Trauma care to the Senate.

I was with the House conferees when the Senate brought their one and only idea to the table to fund Trauma on the very last night at 10pm

Their idea was to spend between 70 and 90 million of existing taxpayer dollars each year in an earmark and call it a new way to do Trauma Care.

We can do that now if it is appropriated in the budget.

I fail to see how that is a solution.

The House solution was to trade the Car Tax for a 10 dollar fee to fund Trauma. I would submit that if the Senate was allowed to vote on this then it would have been overwhelming in support, but one man stood in the way. Casey!

8. Chris says:

I’d rather fund trauma care through general appropriations than fund every city, county and school district through general appropriation!

9. Painterman says:

You do realize the main resolution passed at last years GAGOP Convention was to get rid of the car tax don’t you? The only Leader in GA to move that issue forward was the Speaker, until about the end of the session, when suddenly inspired from on high, the Might Casey steps to the plate and says “I got me a plan too!”
    I’m not saying the Speaker couldn’t have done a better job presenting his ideas and plans, but at least he was willing to listen to critique and make changes. How’s that arrogant? Arrogance is what Casey did. Chris, your guy won and has stunk the joint up since his arrival. Where was his plan during the off session time? Where was the Mighty Casey? Riding a bike in his silly French bike shorts! and otherwise doing a good impersonation of a lap dog! Remember your Casey tax next Birthday and try not to choke on it!

10. Jace Walden says:

Painterman,

I will remember the CaseyTax™ everytime my birthday comes around (once per year).

I will also remember the GlennRichardsonTax™ everytime my paycheck comes around (twice per month).

Thank God for Glenn…without him having the foresight to prevent an income tax elimination, I might have ended up being able to keep a couple thousand extra dollars of my own money every year.

And thank God for Casey Cagle. Because of him, I don’t have to worry about what to do with that extra 100 dollars on my birthday now.

I hope you’ll join me in remembering two GreatConservativeLeader™…

Both of whom should be booted out of their respective offices with extreme haste.

11. Painterman says:

Go and look at what came out of the conference committee and tell me that it wasn’t a great bill and Glenn was all for it. Casey was the my way or nothing guy in this. He just doesn’t want to own up to it.

12. Jace Walden says:

Painterman,

I will say this, the bill that should have passed is the one with the car tax elimination and the income tax elimination.

But the mistake that was made (and perhaps you can enlighten me on where it was mad) was that in that bill, there was no mandatory restrictions on spending.

And if there is one thing I have learned about the Republicans, it’s that they love to spend my money more than the Democrats.

13. Chris says:

The Senate ConfFinance committee did pass a version of HR1246 that included a limit on state spending. I’m pretty sure that didn’t get a vote in the house.

PM: Got a link to the Bill as Amended by Conf Committee?

14. Icarus says:

Chris, Jace,

I’ll paraphrase Painterman, Rep Earl, and The Speaker:

If it wasn’t Glenn’s idea, it didn’t happen.

If it was Glenn’s idea, and he finally was able to articutlate that idea into something his own troops were bullied into passing, and Casey didn’t say “yessir”, then Casey is a wimp.