AUDIO: Richardson blasts Cagle

Here is the audio of House Speaker Glenn Richardson blasting Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle during the session yesterday. You can download the classless comments here (1.6 MB)

Here is the transcript:

The chair has a report for you on tax reform. I want to tell you that we’ve now passed the eleven o’clock hour out of abundance of caution trying to hope against hope the Senate would allow Georgians to have tax reform.

We passed a conference committee out that we had signed in the House and given to the Senate that they declined to sign. Only a few moments ago, the Senate indicated that the Lieutenant Governor of this state, Casey Cagle, would not allow a vote on tax reform in the Senate that let Georgians decide.

You can henceforth, when you go home on the tag tax, tell everybody that it has a new name, it’s called the Cagle birthday tax. And every time they pay it they can think of Casey Cagle because Casey Cagle solely and exclusively left it on for them and I hope Georgians by the 9 million will thank him tomorrow and will flood him with e-mails and tell him “we’re sick of Casey Cagle. Time to get a new Lieutenant Governor in this state.”

Well, his obstructionist tactics served no useful purpose this session. He has been obstructionist on water, education, transportation, trauma care and all issues important to the people of this state, and he has stopped meaningful chance for tax reform for the people of this state and it’s time we call it what it is.

We’re gonna try to do one or two other little things, but tax reform, and all the work that was put into it, is now dead.

The Speaker can blame Casey Cagle if he would like. But the reason there was no meaningful tax reform in Georgia this year is because House Speaker Glenn Richardson would not back away from the car tax. Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle’s proposal to cut the income tax would have been more of a pro-growth tax policy move because it would have reached more people and put more money back into the economy.

If the legislature had cut ad valorem tax the state would have had to subsidize the portion of the ad valorem tax owed to local governments. That would have likely result in a tax increase somewhere else along the line.

Cagle may have wanted the income tax cut because it could be vetoed by the Governor, who has cold to the idea of allowing Georgians to keep more of their hard earned money. Perdue isn’t up for re-election and Cagle could have just passed blame off. Remember the Speaker’s ad valorem tax cut was a constitutional amendment and wasn’t subject to a veto.

1. John Konop says:

The issue could be tax revenue per person is dropping while social service cost is growing. Unless real reform happens this is a train wreck in the near future.

The real fix is in education, healthcare and infrastructure cost. Yet no one wants to deal with the political football.

Education is simple use resources with tech schools and colleges to lower cost and increase quality.

Healthcare we cannot afford giving it away with no money coming in. Also we must force employers to use American workers or pay for the healthcare cost and schools of foreign workers. Sticking the cost on tax payers for schools and healthcare is subsidy bottom line ie immigration issue.

Finally building new homes without the proper infrastructure cost including once again is sticking tax payers with the bill ie subsidy.

This something for nothing attitude is bankrupting our future generations.

2. rightofcenter says:

Is it possible for the house to select a grown-up for speaker? This guy is an embarassment to the state, and to the party.

3. Dave Bearse says:

Recall Perdue’s experience with a crony lawyer-legislator quietly inserting a sweetheart tax provision that put $100,000 in his pocket. (Georgians may not haved cared, but I chuckle everytime anyone speaks of Perdue for VP because national campaigns and media have the resources to shred him on the matter, and national voters will care.)

Why would Perdue accept a measly 0.6 percent income tax reduction for all taxpayers, when he wants the whole enchilada—no income tax whatsover for himself, i.e. an income tax reduction applicable only to rich retirees, a group Perdue will be joining in a few years?

a ai tozxth

4. juliobarrios says:

I remember going into the Session the big issues were drought, trauma care, transportation, and veto overrides. Were any of those issues addressed? The GOP is doing it’s best to lose power and if I were a Republican legislator from a marginal district I’d be worried.

5. ksuowls81 says:

The Senate also killed trauma care and transportation. Luckily water resevoirs was the last thing passed through by the Senate.

Just an interesting note. For the first time in recent and not so recent memory, Sine Die was not commemorated in both the Senate and the House at the same time. The Senate took on a bill after the House adjourned. This is unheard of in the Georgia General Assembly.

6. Holly says:

I’m actually torn on the transportation tax. Normally, I’m against tax increases, but when the people are asked to vote on it in a referendum, I think that’s different than the legislature merely imposing a new tax.

7. Jason Pye says:

A Republican controlled legislature should prevent any and all attempts to increase taxes, especially one that is subject to faction. No majority has the right to rob the minority of a right, in this case their hard earned money.

8. John Konop says:

Jason

Do you think every new road should be a toll road? Do you think the homeowners and developers should pay the cost? Who should pay for it?

9. Jason Pye says:

Konop,

GDOT needs time to get organized and prioritize projects. Gena Abraham said that herself.

Secondly, Georgians are already overtaxed. According to the Tax Foundation, Georgia has the second highest tax burden in the Southeast. The tax burden should be decreased, not increased.

Thirdly, why would any sane person want to see taxes increased when the nation is on the brink of a recession?

10. John Konop says:

Jason

Would you allow new development with not enough money to pay for roads and schools? Would you instead replace it with a toll system?

What is your solution other than going on and on about taxes?

11. Jason Pye says:

Konop,

I did answer the question. I said that “GDOT needs time to get organized and prioritize projects.” Doing that will allow us to see where the needs really are and whether requested projects really have merit.

TADs are a bad idea, money set aside for education should go for that purpose.

It is a tax issue, Konop. I know that you love taxes and because have a hard-on for big government.

12. albert says:

Richardson is an idiot. It amazes me that some fine legislators bow to this demagogue.

John, these guys want dirt roads…. Heck they worked for hundreds of years, why not now? We obviously don’t know how to build roads in Georgia.

13. John Konop says:

Jason

You are a free-loader that used guys like me as your emergency healthcare policy when you did not pay. At the end you are for something for nothing!

14. Jason Pye says:

This about sound tax policy during uncertain economic times, whether or not Georgians are already overtaxed and whether or not the GDOT and the legislature are being good stewards of the tax dollars already provided to them.

Your questions aren’t really valid until Gena Abraham has GDOT reorganized, though I do like proposals from organizations like the Reason Foundation.

15. John Konop says:

Jason

What you are saying is you have no clue about spending and budget policy? At the end you are spew out information with no understanding of the facts.

You always avoid the tough question on how to execute the policy and just rail on taxes like a mindless cult member.

I never said I was for a tax increase, yet I understand unlike you without dealing with the budget issue with real solutions you sound like a teenager asking for his allowance while complaining about gas prices.

16. Bill Simon says:

Jason Sez: “Casey Cagle’s proposal to cut the income tax would have been more of a pro-growth tax policy move because it would have reached more people and put more money back into the economy.”

Sorry to tell you this, Jason, but the math doesn’t work for Cagle. Cagle’s “plan” would put back (at MAX) $73.00 per capita’s pocket per year.

For a full analysis, read here:

AND, let me reiterate, the $35,210 in income per capita is likely 15-20% on the high side in this state.

17. Jason Pye says:

I didn’t see this until after I put up this post, but like in your post, this is from from Tax Foundation:

[I]n the short run Georgia’s economy would probably not get much of a boost from a cut in the car tax.
    […]
    In the long run, though, cutting the income tax rate in Georgia would increase the state’s economic productivity, partly at the expense of other states. Once again, it matters if and how spending is cut in response. If comparatively wasteful spending can be cut—possibly sports stadium funding, to choose a provocative example—then Georgia will have made an economically ideal fiscal exchange.

Cagle’s proposal freed up more money, but over a longer period of time, and it impacted more people.

18. CHelf says:

Being the devil’s advocate here Bill. But you’d only rather see a select few who happen to own cars get a tax cut rather than everyone who actually pays into the income tax coffers? Why should auto owners get money back and not all who pay into the system? Whether it’s pennies or not, shouldn’t everyone paying into the system get to keep some additional amounts of their money? It’s the same logic as only relief to those who own property, etc. Why should non-auto owners be penalized and have to pay for auto owners’ tax breaks?

19. albert says:

Richardson is a schmuck. Perhaps next year the lapdogs will get some cahunna’s and run him out. Or worse, he’ll be the shortest serving speaker because we lose our majority. Any way you look at it, Richardson is a schmuck.

20. Bull Moose says:

Try to focus on policy and not politics and personalities.

The best thing for GA is:

1. A reduction in everyone’s income taxes
    2. To have addressed trauma care in THIS session
    3. To have NOT passed the one cent sales tax increase for transportation and allow Gena Abraham a chance to reorganize DOT
    4. To eliminate austerity cuts to education

Ask yourself of those 4 goals, what was accomplished?

Simply put, eliminating the tag tax, albeit its popularity, would have meant an increase in spending, not a reduction. If you favor increased government spending, then you can have Speaker Richardson and Co. any day of the week, but for me, I will stick with the folks who know and only support rational policy.

21. Bill Simon says:

Craig,

Do you think a priveleged few have cars in this state?

The car ad valorem tax is just like the home property tax. We buy a car, pay all the sales taxes, the gas, the maintenance and we still gotta pay the damn county for our pleasure of parking it in a garage.

This concept of taxing property should be abolished, period. It’s a ridiculous concept if you own a home that you live in or you own a car in order to make a living. It’s just utterly a fallacy of logic.

22. Bill Simon says:

Albert,

And Casey Cagle has no guts. He and his fellow prissy leadership in the Senate demonstrated thay got no guts and no brains worth a crap on any real issue.

23. dorian says:

I think the real problem is that Richardson is too much of a maverick whilst Cagle is too much of a wus. Both of them are polarizing, albeit for different reasons. Richardson is so much of a demogogue he acts like his picture should be put on the Georgia quarter while Cagle can’t sneeze without asking Perdue for a tissue.

I for one am praying that Sonny does, in fact, have a successful run for the senate where I expect he will be as largely ineffective as he has been here. Although, I would welcome a national boat ramp program.

24. John Konop says:

The problem as I see it is both sides want something for nothing. We have Republicans that want tax cuts with out dealing with the reality of the budget. And we have Democrats that think money grows on trees.

And we have people from both sides using services and refusing to deal with cost. Parks, schools, roads, healthcare… all cost money.

I do not mean to pick on Jason yet in one breath he talks about personal responsibility yet he went without health insurance. At the end if something major went wrong with his heath he would have stuck the cost on tax payers.

And this mindset manifest itself with both sides not wanting to pay the real cost. The same mind set is people buying new homes with not enough money for schools, roads…..

The issue is simple people must pay their part and we need solutions that are most efficient.

The irrational ranting about taxes without dealing with the budget is like a business pricing a product without dealing with cost.

25. Jason Pye says:

Yes, I did. Once. Almost ten years ago for a short time. I went to the doctor once and paid for it myself.

26. ksuowls81 says:

“But you’d only rather see a select few who happen to own cars”

I kinda understand where you are going with on this argument, but that has to be one of the most absurd comments I have heard on this board. While I do believe that owning a car is a privilege I do not believe that it is a privlidge that a firm majority of the state (85-90%) enjoy.

Of course I do not know the statistics but I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that more people in the state pay ad valerum taxes then they pay income taxes.

27. John Konop says:

Jason

What would you have one if you a illness costing 6 figures or more? Do you not think people in your category who did not have healthcare did not stick tax payers with the bill?

Face it you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You are no different than the people you rail on!

28. CHelf says:

First of all Bill, I gave a ‘devil’s advocate’ statement so your initial question is off base. Not sure how you missed the initial disclosure on my statement. I personally never implied or stated I believed either way. I merely stated that there is a logic of giving EVERYONE who pays into the system a break OR giving a smaller group a break based on ownership of a particular taxed item.

As for taxing property, it’s been this way since the beginning. Are you saying over 200 years of logic is wrong? Even back in the days of our founding? Again, not saying this is my personal belief but trying to clarify yours.

29. Bill Simon says:

Chelf,

Here’s the clarification: I am in favor of the pursuit of happiness. I am not aware of any requirement that the government must always be along for the ride. But, yet, THEY impose themselves in whatever manner they choose.

It’s not “logic” being used here. It’s “Well, that’s the way we done it before, so that’s the way we gonna keep doing it.” That kind of thinking takes NO logic.