Say It Here, Comes Out There

Good Morning America’s weekend news anchor, Ron Claiborne, flew down south to personally interview Fulton Superior Court’s Judge Marvin Arrington. Arrington as you will recall, sent all the white people out of the courtroom the other day before proceeding, from his bench, to scold black defendants appearing before him.

The ABC News piece will air tomorrow on Good Morning America Saturday, WSB-TV from 9-10am. (GMA is two hours long, and WSB only programs one hour of it, so there’s a chance it might not air locally. Depends on what hour of programming WSB choses to air. Or not. But look for it online too.)

1. Erick says:

Having grown up on the far side of the world, I am admittedly tone deaf on a lot of racial issues, but I still can’t really see the big deal here.

Yeah, he shouldn’t have done it. But so what.

2. Rick Day says:

I have no problem with what he did, how he did it and what he told his captive audience.

But I am sure that comes as no surprise to all y’all.

3. SpaceyG says:

Never yell “race”in a newsroom nowadays. You’re likely to get mowed-down in the ensuing stampede. Arrington gave a terrific interview (I field-produced the shoot), and I could care less who he sent out of the courtroom. His message got through to the target it was aimed at. Hell, the defendants applauded him afterwards! I hope he starts a freakin’ movement. Society really needs one apparently.

4. bowersville says:

There is nothing racial about what Arrington did and good for you Spacey for your work. I get GMA out of NC and it’s for two hours.

I’ll be tuning in if I’m not too drunk from Sunday Sales. Oh wait, I can’t buy on Sunday…

5. boyreporter says:

I do wnt to hear what the judge has to say about what he did…but my first reaction is that he should stick to the law and not try to impose himself as a preacher or counselor. And to ask people of ANY race to leave the courtroom seems to me to be wrong for two reasons: 1) any judge who does it must not understand what transparency in court procedings are all about (and that’s a basic concept); and 2) any judge who would do it must be so tone deaf as to miss nuances galore in criminal procedings that can tend to get messy on their own. But I repeat, I await his explanation.

But Spacey…one thing that really gets me…you are channelling Booooooortz on this one, girl, and that ain’t good. He jumped in on Marvin’s side today. You’re terrific, but that alignment aint’ good.

6. bowersville says:

Aw, to hell with Boortz. You don’t get him. Boortz is about earning money by entertaining and being controversial.

As you said “await his[Arringtons’] explanation.”

7. Icarus says:

I know Judge Arrington. I believe him to be a good and well intentioned man. A bit unorthodox, yes. But his heart is in the right place.

8. NonPartisanGA says:

Boortz was talking about wealth envy today…pretty prophetic wouldn’t YOU say?

9. juliobarrios says:

He’s already admitted it was a mistake and I don’t see why it’s such a big deal. Yes it probably sets a bad precedent.

But if a judge, or any authority figure, cares enough to give those boys the lecture they deserve then we are fortunate to have him. I don’t care if he tells them they are an embarrassment to his race, religion, or all of humanity.

10. bowersville says:

Sorry NPG, but I quit listening to Boortz years ago. No offence to Boortz. I read his website to get the NUZE and Drudge.

11. bowersville says:

Do not quit listening to Boortz on my account. He’s pretty d*mn entertaining and thought provoking.

When I listened to him on the radio, you should have heard me “cuss.” Boy he made my blood flow.

12. Rogue109 says:

Has anyone heard about white, asian or hispanic youths getting the same treatment in his courtroom? I haven’t, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Anyone?