Fleming not dropping out.

I received this via email:

Here is a statement from Barry Fleming regarding his campaign for Congress:

“Apparently due to some problems of my extended family members a rumor was begun that I was withdrawing my name from the race for congress. I have no intention of withdrawing from the race.

Today, I will finish my current business with the legislative session in Atlanta and then will continue my campaign for congress.”

1. IndyInjun says:

Behind the smoke was a flame.

Broun is considerably more formidable than Fleming assumed when he announced.

Fleming is a lot weaker than he assumed at the outset.

If Whitehead could not defeat Broun, Fleming won’t either.

This is not a good year for GOP establishment pols.

2. Holly says:

I called the campaign when I heard the rumor, and here’s the short version.

Austin Rhodes announced that Barry was dropping out on his radio show yesterday. This he did without checking with the Fleming campaign after her received a call from the AJC asking if the rumor was true. The reporter also did not check with the Fleming campaign.

A lot of people in Augusta listen to Austin Rhodes and so the campaign started getting calls from them, asking Barry to stay in the race.

The rumor originated from an email Barry sent to some friends at the capitol, asking for their prayers this week for his family. Instead of doing that, one of the folks who received the email called the AJC and said Barry was going to drop out of the race. The reporter then tried to stop Barry at the capitol to ask him a campaign question, and apparently Barry asked him to keep his questions focused on the legislature because it was Sine Die, so the reporter took that as a “no comment” and called others, like Austin, to see if he could verify the rumor. And then it snowballed.

3. Jane says:

I heard from friend that some in the Columbia county party is looking for another candidate. I am not sure what the rumor about Fleming’s family is, but Barry will have to have a more forceful denial before someone else starts forming an exploratory commitee.

4. Holly says:

Jane, there is a faction in Columbia County which is always looking for another candidate. There were those who wanted a candidate against Charlie Norwood, even, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

5. Bill Simon says:

What about “one of the folks who called the AJC?” Where is THAT person’s sense of owning-up to an egregious error of spilling beans?

Jeez…just run to the AJC why doncha?

6. IndyInjun says:

Sylvia Cooper of the Augusta Chronicle wrote this:

“MORE SMOKE: Somebody or something has thrown a monkey wrench into state Rep. Barry Fleming’s congressional election express. Mr. Fleming issued a statement Friday that he’s not getting out, but expect to hear more about this, and it won’t be about what’s really going on.”

Funny how Sylvia and I used the very same analogy.

I don’t agree that the truth won’t emerge from the smoke.

7. Holly says:

I’m sure it will, Indy, but I don’t think it will reflect poorly on Barry’s campaign when it does.

8. bowersville says:

For a candidate to try and put out a fire with a denial of withdrawing, the rumor mill would have to be vicious and widespread.

For the Chronicle, Rhodes and the AJC to be “speculating” on Fleming means more to come. Where there is smoke, there is a fire.

9. bowersville says:

Indy, I disagree with you on one point. I don’t know what the rumor is, but

Pierre Howard suddenly withdrew from his run for Governor and the rumor was never published. Mike Bowers continued and the rumor was published.

I guess the next move is Fleming’s. As to whether the rumor is published is yet to be determined.

10. Goldwater Conservative says:

Indy,

Just because Whitehead did not win does not mean that Fleming will lose. The variables that need to be taken into consideration are far more numerous than what your simple mind has put into the equation.

The fact that this is not a non-partisan special election in an off election year is a big deal. Fleming has a lot of money. Fleming is an excellent speaker that will most likely show up at forums and communities outside of Augusta for speaking events. McCain’s candidacy helps Fleming, it is a primary battle not a general election…but this still matters a bit. There are stark contrasts between Fleming and Broun. Broun does not have all of the powers of the incumbency. You get the point.

I have no dillusions about either candidates ability to win in November. There is no democratic challenger in that race. The difference is going to be the campaigns can focus on the future. Broun is old and unpopular in the party. Fleming is young and popular in the party.

If a democrat with a million dollars were to challenge Broun…there would be some problems. It would take 2 million for a democrat to beat Fleming though.

11. IndyInjun says:

H2O

My simple mind knows that Fleming has a lot of negatives that Jim Whitehead did not have. I have no interest in getting into them here, as I am neutral on this race at this point.

I agree that Fleming is a better GOP PARTISAN, but among the electorate his support is weaker.

Here on PP, the prevailing opinion is that the Columbia County GOP is some monolith who will fall behind Fleming just because he is the local guy. Shoot, the majority of elected officials want nothing to do with the county GOP and several have clashed with Fleming.

Broun has shown a streak of independence and attention to fiscal responsibility, earning a second look from fiscal conservatives who supported Whitehead.