1. Carpe Forem says:

Been there, done that. When you come to realize as most Libertarians that came from the GOP that the leadership is perfectly willing to set aside their principles for expediency, you become aware of the futility of changing from within. After which you see this behavior in all aspects of their governing. Just like Congressman Barr said, the GOP has “lost their moorings” or as Reagan would have said, lost their “backbone.”

2. Donkey Kong says:

That’s why our goal must be to *become* the leadership. The same could have been said of the GOP in years past, but each time the party has sprung back.

This separatism is really hurting our party. See what happens when the libertarian minded leaders in the GOP desert the party? Who are you left with?

3. StevePerkins says:

Granted, Ron Paul wasn’t exactly the best possible flag-bearer for libertarian ideas within the GOP. However, after watching him out-fundraise almost the entire field, and attract tens of thousands of dedicated grassroot followers, you had to know that was creating a large and attractive vacuum for the general election.

I’m glad that Paul is forgoing a third-party run (because he’s keeping his word), just as I’m glad Barr may be pursuing one (because he’s a more reasonable and articulate champion for small-government ideas).

As for the suggestion above that “separatism is really hurting our party”… it’s the failure to expand the tent over the separatists that’s hurting that party. With the Paul campaign, people watched the GOP demonize and ridicule not only the messenger (no problem) but the message as well (problem). For the first time since the Reagan Coalition, you had the libertarian-minded crowd in your primary and looking for a seat at the table… and you gave them the finger. No one should feel surprised or betrayed if many of them don’t stick around.

4. ProfG says:

Or if many of them decide to take over – by just showing up, ever since the GOP decided to leave its true conservative moorings (and subsequently leaving its true conservative base members).

5. Carpe Forem says:

Well, to that I say, work from within, if you want. I wish you luck (I’ve commended the RLC, worked with the Ron Paul groups, and am on an advisory board for Re. Paul Broun, member of the AFP and more.) , but vote Libertarian (if there is one on the ballot)… As long as they win, nothing will change… or … Sign the oath and join the LP and those that are left, well, will become insignificant (and/or join the socialist democrat’s cause). And those that are currently on the Left that really believe in individual freedom, come join the LP as well. Let it be that all future elections are between those that truly believe in a Liberty loving Republic verses those that are BIG centralized GOVERNMENT statist.

6. Carpe Forem says:

Re. Paul Broun = Rep. Paul Broun
    As long as they win, nothing will change = As long as BIG Goverment republicans win nothing will change.

I admit I need a copy editor.

7. bowersville says:

I will say Ron Paul was and remains no standard bearer for Libertarian ideas within the GOP. He’s just another NUT.

Ron Paul is the keynote speaker in October at the 50th anniversary celebration of the John Burch NUTJOB Society. (Redstate.com)

Maybe Loony Paul will invite Bob Barr.

8. Donkey Kong says:

The problem with many of the libertarian type that were the huge Ron Paul supporters is that they were not nationalists. I came across countless RP supporters that were either openly antisemitic, black helicopter conspiracists, or had a liberal view of foreign policy (i.e. very limited). I see Goldwater as the standard, and many of my libertarian friends do as well. However, Goldwater believed in peace through strength — an active and powerful federal government throughout the world. He also believed in a minimized and limited government within our borders. Modern libertarians have the second part right, but not the first. That, IMO, is principally why the GOP has rejected the Ron Paulites — they are not nationalists and do not conscribe to an active federal government in the world. This philosophy, of course, played out in specific policy issues such as the view on the war, Paul’s refusal to give awards to famous and courageous foreign dignitaries, etc. He refused to engage the world on the level that is necessary.

I hope this makes sense. was basically stream of consciousness as I am running out the door…

9. StevePerkins says:

I hear what you’re saying, DK… and I don’t COMPLETELY disagree. Nevertheless, it goes to demonstrate the point I was making. An outlook held by tens of thousands of activists, willing to contribute tens of millions of dollars of funds, was rejected wholesale… and it’s going to find an outlet somewhere. It isn’t “separatism” if it wasn’t recognized under the tent to begin with.

10. IndyInjun says:

DK wrote: ” Reform from within!!!!!!!!”

I am sitting here envisioning such an action as depicted in the movie Alien and kind of liking it.

As for the statement that we Paul supporters are not “nationalists” I would argue that we are the ONLY American nationalists, although we are constitutionalists first, asw the Consitution defines our nation.

The rest of the GOP are globalists and traitors to conservatism.

11. liberator says:

As Barr stated there is no way to reform the GOP from within ie… Too many Neo-Cons and Theocrats who love the Nanny State. Past time to vote Libertarian!

12. souldrift says:

I might take Barr and Ron Paul a little more seriously if they wouldn’t kiss up to such pansys as Sean Hannity and Russshhhhh.

Sorry guys.