Fox News Wins Zero Peabody Awards

The Peabody Awards, for excellence in electronic media, were announced today. PBS, CNN, ABC, etc. won. But zippo for Fox News. Feel free to leave your “liberal media bias” droppings here, but please forego the what does this have to do with Georgia? moronic opera elsewhere. (Before you hit that keyboard and show your butt, the very prestigious Peabodys are handed out annually… by UGA’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.)

Complete list of winners is here.

1. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Fair question my melted winged friend;

Peabody awards handed out by UGA which is located in Georgia

Fox news covers politcis…sometimes GA politics.

Looks Kosher to me.

2. MediaGuyAtl says:

No Peabody for Geraldo? D#[email protected]!

Ollie North deserved one for his War Stories…

At least Moyers didn’t win one, sure wish he would stop using our tax money for his biased reporting.

3. boyreporter says:

“Biased reporting” is just a term for “reporting that doesn’t reflect my bias.” Grow up.

4. Chris says:

Handed out by the same idiots who couldn’t survey a border correctly and lost us the Tennessee River?

I’m not impressed.

5. ceej says:

Ah. This must be that progressive, forward-thinking, mature viewpoint that liberals are renown for.

For us low-brow conservatives, I’ll translate this post: “Neener neener boo boo! CNN rules, Fox News drools!”

Let me know when recess is over.

6. Icarus says:

Here’s AJC’s late breaking story: “nearly everybody’s favorite dessert; readers’ recipies for pudding”.

It’s Georgia related because it covers “nearly everybody” It’s about politics, because, well, have you seen most of our legislators? They don’t miss many dessert trays.

And because it’s in the prestigous AJC, it’s sure to win a Peabody.

7. drjay says:

yeah i get that these things are given out at uga and i’m an alum and all that –but they aren’t pulitzer’s or even emmy’s they gave an award to “project runway” and to “Whole Lotta Shakin” from the Texas Heritage Music Foundation which they described as:

A red-hot retrospective of rockabilly music, this 10-part series distributed by Public Radio International blended rare interviews, archival radio broadcasts and foot-stomping tunes by obscure practitioners as well as legends such as Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins.

ooh they gave one to 60 minutes also and some public service camapign mtv is doing–past winners have included seinfeld and south park for goodness sakes…

8. bsjy says:

I do not know if the source of your misuse of the word forego is laziness or ignorance, but please forgo the use of forego when you clearly mean forgo. Master this mnemonic and never confuse the two:If you forbear using forego as a synonym for forgo, your forebears will sing your praises in Heaven.

9. StevePerkins says:

I pay little respect to any award given out to broadcast media at all. Contemporary broadcast media is an absolute toilet, with printed media showing dangerous signs of slipping in the direction.

Seriously, does anyone still care about the “liberal bias” or “conservative bias” debate. CNN offers 55 minutes of Britney Spears coverage, followed by 5 minutes of liberal commentary. Fox News offers 55 minutes of Britney Spears coverage, followed by 5 minutes of conservative commentary. Is there REALLY any difference which makes it worth defending either network?

10. Progressive Dem says:

FOX News is famous for un-named and un-sourced introductions like, “critics say…” or “some people are saying…” or “there are reports…” It completely fails any journalistic or intellectual integrity test. Therefore, no Peabody. CNN just beat them out of the only demographic (25-55 year-olds in prime time) that matters to advertisers, too. CNN was up 87% from year ago.

11. drjay says:

some people say that there are reports of increased viewership at cnn.critics say foxnews has become famous for un-named, unsourced intros and may be suffering for it…now did you hear brittany and k-fed might be trying to work things out???

12. MediaGuyAtl says:

Progressive Dem, now there’s an oxymoron for you. CNN was up 87% in the “only” demographic that matters to advertisers because of the numerous debates CNN carried. Good for them. I’m still not sure why the Dems were scared to debate on Fox. However Fox News still has 5 of the top 10 News and Commentary shows on cable. I will say that CNN might have finally found their audience. Having just watched in the last hour even CNN readers say, “some people said” or “there are reports” Just look at all the polls that CNN produces to create “news”. Hey but CNN does have that fancy million dollar set in New York. I’m sure that’s worth a Peabody!

13. Progressive Dem says:

Wow Mediaguy, Fox has 5 out of ten! When did 50% become worthy of bragging rights? The Democratic debates were not exclusively held on CNN, but also broadcast networks and other cable stations. The Democrats are being deliberately disrespectful of Fox because Fox is deliberately and overtly biased. It isn’t about being scared; it is about presenting the news with some shread of objectivity, and providing some diverse opinions. And speaking of ….Mr. Fair and Balanced, himself Bill O’Louva Sponge had Dick Morris, Karl Rove and Dennis Miller on his show last night. That kind of narrow, numbing, monotone of opinion is why the average age for Bill’s viewers is deceased.

14. Rogue109 says:

the very prestigious Peabodys are handed out annually… by UGA’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Wow, I think I just soiled myself out of fear that I might dare to criticize the great and learned UGA Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. Then I realized I really don’t give a “poo” and was amused that name calling, bitter people like SpaceyG think that her pointless blog entry actually means anything.

Guess what, SpaceyG! You didn’t get any blogging awards last year, either! Does that mean that your poor ability has been duly recognized by your peers as pathetic or simply that those who seem to think that awards are the only barometer for self-importance are themselves empty, shallow people?

Huh, I don’t know exactly what I wrote really means, but I do think you’re funny, SpaceyG! How’s your bigoted family, by the way?

15. Rogue109 says:

Progressive Dem:

Hey, we’re not going to change each others minds on this one, but which anchor/reporter/host on CNN is the balance to the liberal anchors/reporters/hosts there? I’ll give you the fact that Glenn Beck on CNN-HN is conservative, but who else provides that balance there?

Also, did you ever consider the fact that you are liberal and that the network is liberal and that that may be why you find it so without objection? Trust me, I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with that, either, but I’m just curious.

16. Progressive Dem says:

MSNBC is the anti-Fox. They have taken Fox’s model and tweaked it left.

Compare Wolf Blitzer (I think he sucks, btw) to Britt Hume. Wolf plays it down the middle. He is like milktoast. Hume doesn’t even pretend to be balanced. In fact Hume also provides commentary and opinion on other shows. The other night I heard Britt Hume quote McCain’s stinging attack on Obama’s Iraq policy, and then Hume says, “Coming up a response from Sen. Joe Lieberman.” Gimmie a f*ing break, Joe Lieberman!

After Lou Dobbs left CNN as business reporter to launch some internet space crap website, he reinvented himself into a Fox-like loudmouth demagogue. He is like Mickey; he hates everything. Mostly he is acting like a reactionary turd about immigration and trade to get some ratings. Bill Hemmer is Mr. All American on CNN and goes to Fox and starts getting bent to the right.

On election nights, CNN gets a good balanced panel of 3 conservatives and 3 liberals. I enjoy hearing Bill Bennett. He is thoughtful, and I want to know what the other side is thinking. Fox is just relentlessly biased. Alan Colmes is like the Washington Generals against the Globetrotters.

I believe most journalists, try to play it straight. I don’t believe that is true with Fox. It is directed and it is part of their ratings strategy. Most conservatives will admit to Fox’s bias, and try and justify it by saying the others do it, but nobody mixes opinion and news like Fox. Nobody is as blatantly biased as Fox. It is their business strategy. CNN doesn’t have opinion shows like O’Reilly or Hannity. (Two of the most dispicable human beings on the planet). Let’s face it, the right-wing has been working the refs for years about a “left-wing, bias”. The other networks (excluding MSNBC) bend over backwards not to appear as being biased.

17. Rogue109 says:

Progressive Dem: Interesting views….fair enough. With the Fox lineup, I would disagree that the prime-time line up is presented as journalism. Clearly, it’s not (with the exception of liberal Scientologist Greta at 10). Either way, though, interesting to know your viewpoint.

(SpaceyG: Just a clue to you, this is how people can disagree without name calling!)

18. rugby fan says:

I have to agree with the Progressive Dem (engaging in progressive debate too).

FNC’s MO is to be biased. CNN may wind up being biased but they make no overt effort to show preferences.

19. MediaGuyAtl says:

Great comments by everyone! Even the Progressive Dem. I enjoy a good debate!
    I think the print press could learn some things here too. I read in the WSJ today that Time and Newsweek are “re-inventing” themselves again. Their readership is declining quickly thanks to the blogosphere and other reasons too numerous to discuss. But I believe if their editors took a more middle of the road stance more folks would subscribe.
    My wife had me stop subscribing to the AJC, she feared for my life due to the blood that would stream out of my eyes whenever I read that rag. I keep up with the local news & sports via the web.
    I do enjoy reading the WSJ with their liberal news pages and a more conservative editorial page. However, who knows what Rupert is going to do and how he plans to change it.
    MSNBC is a joke and I think GE is about to make it a full time Olympic Sports Network. They are bleeding so much cash and their ratings have not improved at all. Hell, you have to purchase an additional tier here in Atlanta, on Comcast, to receive it.
    It’s only good for the “newsumers” that we have CNN and Fox News competing. Remember, Fox shows the legs of their female anchors while CNN has theirs behind desks.
    Does any of this matter, since Uncle Ted claims we’ll be cannibals in 30 to 40 years?