Modesty dies in committee.

Not really, but Robert Brown’s bill to create a list of people who don’t want anything named after them when they pass on was tabled:

A House committee voted 4-0 to table S.B. 191 after a representative for Secretary of State Karen Handel spoke against it.

In essence, Georgia is too good for the legislation. Too modest. So many people might sign up that the list could become an unacceptable financial burden for the secretary of state, whose staff would have to maintain it.

“That could go on forever. You could have tens of thousands of people calling to have their names put on the list,” said Michael O’Sullivan, legislative affairs director for Handel.

1. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

“So many people might sign up that the list could become an unacceptable financial burden for the secretary of state, whose staff would have to maintain it.”

Apparantly the SoS office is overpaying people to perform data entry.

2. wmo says:

Just how much money does it cost to keep adding names to an excel spreadsheet?

Oh wait, we would probably want to keep a backup of the spreadsheet, that could cost some money.

Nevermind. Karen Handel’s right. This could cost a fortune.

3. Chris says:

The Brownlist, named after State Rep Robert Brown, died in committee today after the SoS decided it would be too expensive.

4. Doug Deal says:

Since Georgians are so modest, just assume that everyone wants on the list, and just create another for people who want things named after them. Then we would also have a handy list of names of people not to vote for.

5. jsm says:

Who cares? When people are dead, they won’t care what road or bridge is named after them, anyway. The added bureaucracy is unnecessary, even as simple as this may seem.

I can see the lawsuit now over a dispute about whether someone really wanted his/her name on the list.

6. juliobarrios says:

I think the whole concept of the “do not call list” for removing yourself from honorary naming consideration is a little bass ackwards. By signing up for the list your ego would have to be big enough to assume you’ll accomplish enough to be worthy of having something, or at least a section of something, named after yourself.

The solution is for the legislature and cities to exercise a little restraint when it comes to naming intersections and interchanges, or wait until the person is dead.

Otherwise it’s going to be too difficult to type-in Hartsfield Jackson Franklin Lewis Airport into my GPS.

7. Icarus says:

It is sad to say that I am one of the few people who never will have his name added to the airport.

I don’t think they guy known for being the first recorded air casualty will be on the short list when they name the 6th or 7th (way overbudget) terminal.

8. joe says:

I am thinking of changing my name to “Peachtree” so I can have stuff named for me before I die.

9. drjay says:

but my day is fulfilled by running errands up and down the truman parkway and then going home on the jimmy deloach after i access it via the sonny dixon interchange and maybe watching the kids play ball at the pb edwards community center that i can get to by going over the jack shearouse bridge or hopping on our stretch of i-95-the tom coleman highway…

10. Demonbeck says:

You don’t take the Jim L. Gillis Highway/I-16 to get to Effingham? You could also take Highway 80 past Tom Triplett Park to get there as well.

11. drjay says:

well i genuinely fear legislation like this will force me to go over bridges and pass by parks that are not named for anyone at all–that is a world in which i do not want to live…

12. Demonbeck says:

Rugby,

I believe King George II also opposed any restrictions on naming places and things after people.

13. Chris says:

And an annyoing children cartoon.

I just have a major religion named after me.

But not a wheel – different spelling.

14. Doug Deal says:

rugby,

A game show? There’s a lot more than that. Both my names are also verbs, and the royalties on that are incredible.

Chris,

What religion was named after you, and does it have something to do with Fairies?