Baiting The “Black Grievance Industry”

Critical thinking about the role of race in politics (or the role of politics in race) is as rare as a unicorn in a rap video. Somehow Gary Reese of Florida Insider pulls a rational rabbit out of a complex hat today, in regards to slavery reparations so patronizingly flirted with by Florida’s Governor Crist:

Serious discussion by sincere people about race in American politics is impossible to profit by. Knee-jerk emotions trump reason and deliberation every time. Nobody changes their minds, and “discussions” quickly become angry harangues.

There are a lot more white voters than black ones in Florida. Blacks are already a lock to turn out in droves to vote for Obama if he is the Democratic nominee.

Whites are a sleeping dog on race, however. Given the disgust with George Bush and the Republican Party, many of them are ready to vote for “the other guy” versus McCain, no matter who he or she is.

But if black anger becomes a political football this fall, Barack Obama might as well take a knee.

Full article here. (And trust me, before you start that toddler whine, you blathering fools and you know who you are, about this isn’t about Georgia politics, wheregoeth Florida and the matter of slavery apology, restitution and reparations, eventually so must Georgia. Not to mention the Presidential campaign.)

1. Rogue109 says:

“[W]heregoeth Florida and the matter of slavery apology, restitution and reparations, eventually so must Georgia.”

No, SpaceyG, where Florida goes, we do not have to march in lockstep. Of course, for such a hate filled and bitter person such as yourself, I’m sure you don’t care.

You really think your rudeness is an acceptable form of discourse, don’t you?

2. SpaceyG says:

Ahhhh hate. Just bathing in a lovely, foamy, lavender-scented bath of it right now! Pass that bitter rose-scented soap. Soooooo nice! I’ll follow-up with a really awesomely rude massage and steamingly hateful discourse. Love me a calming day at the hate spa!

3. John Konop says:

The concept of affirmative action was for restitution and reparations. Does that mean that if someone benefited from AA they would have to give it back? And how would that work?

Why not push equal opportunity not equal results!

4. Rogue109 says:

John: Couldn’t agree more. Excellent point on AA. Don’t expect SpaceyG to have any illuminating comment on it other than to engage in more rude and bitter commentary.

5. SpaceyG says:

Yes, I was so ragingly consumed with rudeness and bitterness that I had to post an interesting topic and commentary (belonging to someone else) on PP right away!

Careful there Rogie Boy, you’re throwing ‘atta boys around in a post that isn’t 100% Georgia-related. Do as you say, not as you do, eh?

6. John Konop says:

SpaceyG

Do you have an opinion on the topic or subject matter you posted? I realize Rogue109 forced you to think past a talking point position, but hey why not try to defend your position if you have one?

7. boyreporter says:

JK and Rogue: You guys are so thin skinned and historically ignorant. Affirmative action was and is a nod toward making up in some small part for not-so-ancient inequities. It has helped, but it has not closed the gap. It is still needed, thanks to knuckle-draggers in positions of power and influence who have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. “Why n0t push equal opportunitynot equal results!” (sic)? Good question, but a few generations too late. When was “equal opportunity” a fact in this (or any country)? The good ole boys (white men) club has been pretty much in charge all these years, to be nudged toward “equal opportunity” only occasionally by pressure groups for women and minorities.

8. John Konop says:

boyreporter

The fact is AA was put in place to equalize injustice from the past. My question is how much is enough? And who should qualify?

A Brief History of Affirmative Action

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 declares: “No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” Within a year, President Lyndon B. Johnson (1908–73) argued that fairness required more than a commitment to impartial treatment. In his 1965 commencement address at Howard University in Washington, D.C., he said:

You do not take a person who for years has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line of a race and then say, “You’re free to compete with all the others,” and still justly believe that you have been completely fair. Thus it is not enough just to open the gates of opportunity. All our citizens must have the ability to walk through those gates. . . . We seek not . . . just equality as a right and a theory but equality as a fact and equality as a result.

9. John Konop says:

SpaceyG had no problem with Hillary playing the race card against Obama. I disagree with Obama on issues yet when Hillary called Obama a “spadeworker” I spoke out.

At the end people like SpaceyG enjoy the relationship with black people as long as they worship them for what is given to them by liberals like her. But if a black person dares to want an equal share of the pie via hard work they are the first to push them over board!

The difference between Spacey and I is I am truly color and gender blind when comes to performance. At the end why not have the best person win?

10. ChuckEaton says:

Even if some sort of restitution was ever passed, can you imagine the beauracatic nightmare in trying to distribute the funds?

Would it come down to the percentage of your blood that from slaves?

Barack Obama himself is a great example; a white mother and an immigrant father from Kenya.

11. Jace Walden says:

I agree with Spacey and Boyreporter. Nothing has changed. Here we are 150 years removed from the abolishment of slavery and yet you still have politicans that want to keep people bound to the plantation.

The only difference is that this time around, the plantation owners are the big-government politicans that push policies like affirmative action, welfare, et al. Policies designed to ensure that people keep depending on the plantation as opposed to their own determination and free will.

The plantation, of course, is the big-government entitlement mentality that we have here in America.

All these programs do is tell people that they are not good enough, smart enough, or capable enough to make it on their own.

Someone define racism again please.

Yeah, nothing has changed.

12. Rogue109 says:

Jace: I know where you are heading with your query about the definition of racism. And you’re right. It is a concept totally different from bigotry. Either way, the goal of equal opportunity is a laudable one. But, much like capitalism, the well-intentioned “do-gooders” of society ultimately thwart their ultimate goals with ideas like AA. Policies like that ultimately reinforce a siege mentality and sense of entitlement where blacks in this country (which compose only roughly 13% of the total national population) continue to look toward government for answers. That’s where some philosophies of Bishop Eddie Long’s “Wealth Theology” are refreshing wherein people are told to look to themselves to right any perceived problems they may see by engaging in entrepreneurship.

Meanwhile, liberals like SpaceyG are left with nothing to say but to make demeaning comments within the confines of their intellectually vapid compounds where their true ignorance is never recognized and their self-importance and pap-filled lives continue on.

13. ProfG says:

“At the end people like SpaceyG enjoy the relationship with black people as long as they worship them for what is given to them by liberals like her.”

SpaceyG is a girl?

14. boyreporter says:

But looky-here…espousing equal opportunity doesn’t make it a fact. It’s easy to be for it. Who isn’t? But it’s a myth, just like the so-called “meritocracy” that freedom-loving (except for bedroom issues and use of the military to impose…never mind) Republicans think exists here. Equal opportunity is a laudable goal, but elusive.

15. Jace Walden says:

Boy,

I’m not going to argue with you one bit about the hypocrisy of many Republicans who espouse “freedom”, only to deny in areas that they personally “don’t agree with” (See Gay Marriage, Sunday Sales, Terry Shaivo for more information). Hell, I agree with you totally on that issue.

And I agree that, even after slavery was ended, for a LONG period of time, black people were treated awfully. It is something that they rightfully shouldn’t forget.

I you’re going to think that this is easy for me to say because I’m a white dude, but at some point you have to look forward. The “market” has been corrected. Affirmative action served its purpose. Now it only serves to discrimiate.

If race shouldn’t be a factor (and it shouldn’t), then it shouldn’t even be a block to check on an admissions application, a job application, etc.

Judge people by their work ethic and character, not by their “race”.

16. Jace Walden says:

I think we all agree that “equal opportunity” is the goal. The disagreement is on whether issues like Affirmative Action, and Mandatory Race Quotas help in achieving that “equality”.

I would argue that they are counter-intuitive.

The government has a responsibility to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed in the marketplace. For decades, the U.S. government abdicated this responsibility by allowing slavery, and then allowing Jim Crow laws. But that time is over.

The government has no constitional or moral responsibilty to “prop up” someone who squandered their opportunity. That responsibility belongs to individuals, communities, and private charities.

17. boyreporter says:

I agree with that last sentence. But that ain’t what generally happens…in job apps, or anyplace else. We’re just not there yet and probably never will be. Minorities and women are supposed to “get over it” and compete on the allegedly level playing field — which doesn’t exist. But the broader white man community (of which I am a part) continues to reward each other on the basis of various networks, family connections, national origin, any number of ways to give preference unrelated to work ethic and/or character.

18. dorian says:

Has anyone here been inside a public high school recently? I, for one, am not prepared to shoulder the burden for the entirety of the plight of african-american’s in society. Doesn’t anyone else get sick to death of having to check our common sense at the door for the sake of political correctness?

I wonder if the Chinese care? I wonder if the taliban or any of the muslim extremists care? We are imploding from the inside – crushed by the weight of millions who are incapable (and not just african-americans) of producing anything except more kids. How can this possibly be sustained? How much wealth will have to be redistributed to reward people for irresponsible breeding?

I am anxious to see what the liberal solution is. I am anxious to see what a society with no “I”‘s, only “we”‘s looks like. How we compete in a global marketplace with an unskilled work force, broken infrastructure, and no manufacturing to speak of.

19. boyreporter says:

By “last sentence,” I meant the one in the previous post, “Judge people by their work ethic…” etc.

What about those who didn’t “squander” their opportunity but who were denied an at-bat? Seems to me there are many more minorities and women in that category than in the former.

20. John Konop says:

boyreporter

All I know in my business all I care about is production. And most of the people in my position have the same attitude.

My business is a cross section of race and gender. I have never had a problem with finding quality people of any race or gender.

I am not naive to the fact that life sometimes is not fair. But I will tell you the key to getting ahead is having your teeth kick in everyday and moving on to the next day.

This concept that laws can change the ups and downs of life is a way of not taking responsibility for your own destiny in life.

I have always told my employees do not thank me for a bonus because if you did not earn it I would not have given it to you.

I had new boss once who came to the company I was an executive at for years and handed me a 6 figure bonus I had earned. He ask me why I did not thank him, I handed the check back and told him do not give it to me if I did not earn it. The same boss made fun of my dyslexia in executive meetings for sport. . He ended up giving me the check back I ended up moving on.

The above experience motivated into becoming a CEO. It is all how you look at life.

On a daily basis I deal with a lot of issues that are not fair or right. A successful person learns to adapt and survive. Yet I do not look for Uncle Sam to solve my problems.

21. Jace Walden says:

I knew which sentence you were referring to…

The government’s “job” is to set the conditions that insure a free and open markets. I don’t see anyone as having been “denied” an at-bat. I will admit that there are people born into situations that I will never be able to understand, but at the same time as long as a person has free-will, he has the capacity to improve his situation.

The government’s “job” is to ensure that a person has the opportunity to fully exercise his/her free-will, as long as in doing so he doesn’t harm someone else.

22. Roy says:

Look, throughout our planets existance, ever since homosapien walked upright, some group, somewhere, has gotten the bad end of a deal.
    From lions in the coloseium to killing fields, death camps to trails of tears, slavery to simply calling someone a bad name, at one time or another some crime against humanity has happened. The best anyone can and should do is move on.
    Insofar as reparations, hell, I thought we’ve had that for years; it’s called taxation with redistribution of wealth.

23. onthefence says:

I would say that many black people (republican or democrat) have a unique history in this country which doesn’t make them better or worse but different. Hence, our differing views on affirmative action, reparations, al sharpton, jesse jackson, malcolm x, and so many others. affirmative action was created to assure my parents a place in society without starting as a janitor. it was an opportunity for them to get started toward the american dream, to own a piece of land, to have an education. now my mother and i both have college degrees and my sister homeschools her 4 children. i think it’s amazing what we’ve been able to do in this country and what so many other people do who come to america with nothing.

however, i think it’s far too late to care about reparations. i think that if the gov’t promised 40 acres and a mule and didn’t give it why the heck would the gov’t do anything like that now. i think it’s a colossal joke and a distraction.

racism exists today and will always exist in the world because many people in world are afraid of what they are not familiar with. dark skinned people have lived with this as long as the earth has been around (light skinned vs. dark skinned blacks, asian indians, jamaicans, brazilians, etc.). i know what people see when they look at me but that’s only the beginning. i have decided to be optimistic and to live beyond it. though it can be a very frustrating affair but no where near as frustrating and painful as it was for my parents and my grandparents. but again that’s fine and it’s our history.

i will say that it’s a shame that so many black men are imprisoned. i will say that it sucks to see them on the corners and shooting people left and right (FOR NO GOOD REASON). i will say it’s not anyone else’s fault but options make a huge difference, parents make a difference.

more than anything i think that WE are the best thing happening. maybe one day we’ll outgrow our histories but i think not. we each have a unique past and there are no easy answers to the hurts that many of our ancestors have endured to give us these opportunities.

black or white or whatever in the end either the person can do the job or they can’t. and if the person can’t, they will be fired and replaced (eventually).

24. Rogue109 says:

Drinks are going to be on John Konop for the rest of our lives…

25. Rogue109 says:

Rugby: Yeah, but most of the posts are her putting down men or me asking why she even bothers (grin).

26. SpaceyG says:

John… huh? I had no problem with Hillary playing the race card against Obama? WTF are you talking about? I’ve never commented on that issue, although I’ll certainly be glad to do so if you need clarification. But first you need a brain and with a memory to go with that clarification.

27. John Konop says:

SpaceyG

You made my point, Spacey you never spoke out about the racist comments Billary made about Obama even during the Georgia primary! Face it you are a plantation liberal only comfortable with black people if they are not your equal while throwing old bread scrapes at them while patting yourself on the back!

28. fishtail says:

Has anyone put a price on Slave Reparation Payments? It might be worth it to give every Afro-American $500,000 if it would finally stop this debate.