Expect a veto

Sonny don’t like them Sunday Sales.

In the op-ed, titled “The Tragic Cost of Sunday Sales,” Perdue cited a study by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation that found alcohol-related crashes increased in New Mexico counties that began permitting Sundays alcohol sales in the 1990s.

Perdue said allowing Sunday sales in Georgia, would, likewise, do more harm than good.

1. boyreporter says:

Hey, Jace, something we can agree on: Small government conservatives often succumb to the lure of government control when it’s something they want…or want to pander with. Count on small government conservatives to try to control our private lives.

2. rjhatl says:

What about The Tragic Cost of Thursday Sales? What about the Tragic Cost of Basing Public Policy on One Flawed Study Just Because It Agrees With You?

3. Jace Walden says:

That is something we can agree on.

I’d wager that there is quite a bit you and I would actually agree on. I know you’re wondering about our last conversation…yeah, I concede defeat. Your limerick was priceless.

4. Jace Walden says:

…or a RINO showing his horn.

Comma Guy,

Small government conservatives, fiscal conservatives, and libertarians are the RINOs in the Republican Party.

The Republican Party is synonymous with:

(1) Wreckless spending
    (2) Record Expansion of Government
    (3) Entitlement Expansion (Part D)
    (4) Social Intolerance
    (5) Corruption and Hypocrisy

This is your Holy GOP. The small government conservatives, fiscal conservatives and libertarians subscribe to something different than what it means to be a Republican today.

5. Jace Walden says:

Just look at everyone’s favorite ConservativeIcon™ Johnny Isakson.

The man wants to give out $15,000 welfare checks so his Real Estate agent buddies like Bull Moose don’t have to work as hard like every other American…

6. juliobarrios says:

7. CobbGOPer says:

“If the whole mission is to save lives then lets pass a law that people are not allowed to have a certain percentage of alcohol in their blood while driving.”

Oh wait! We already have one of those laws!

I don’t understand why Sonny keeps trotting out these bogus arguments when all he’s really doing is pandering to his religious base.

Of course, I’m not real sure why he’s pandering to these people when they’re not going to have another opportunity to vote for him. Unless he runs for Senate, and by God, I’ll do everything I can to defeat him if he does.

8. DMZDave says:

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought Johnny wanted to give first time homebuyers a “tax credit.” In other words these folks are incentivized to keep a little more of their money and give a little less to the government if they use it for a good public purpose like home ownership which directly benefits a whole lot more people than than real estate agents . Home sales drive a lot of jobs in our economy from furniture and appliance sales to a lot of things that keep Atlanta-based Home Depot in business.

I may have Johnny’s critics completely wrong but I’m guessing most of those “libertarians” taking shots at him on this site haven’t personally created a lot of jobs for other people – Johnny has. The reason I appreciate Johnny Isakson is he does indeed know what it means to create wealth and help others create wealth. Home ownership is good for America. He’s doing what we elected him to do – think creatively and use his experience to find ways to turn the economy around.

9. DMZDave says:

And speaking of dumb ass. I was fired up about Sonny and his prohibition and was also fired up about the attacks on Johnny for his tax credit plan and posted my Johnny defense up on the wrong thread.

I need a beer. Fortunately it’s not Sunday.

10. Romegaguy says:

I vaguely remember Sonny’s first campaign and a motto something like “Let them vote”

Sounds like a good idea to me (on this issue)

11. Demonbeck says:

Allow Sunday sales and enforce the laws already on the books regarding driving and alcohol.