Now this is my kind of invention

Table taps are not illegal in Georgia. Some genius no doubt sent from Heaven has come up with a system where people can have their own beer taps at their tables in restaurants. That is just wicked awesome.

“It turns out the law supports it. It’s the same as putting a pitcher of beer at the table, and it actually increases monitoring,” says Jeff Libby, the 26-year-old who patented the system.

His concept is simple. Taps boasting two beer spouts are built into tables dotting Atlanta’s swanky STATS sports bar. Each is hooked into a cooler of kegs in the bar’s basement through a network of tubes and pipes.

To fly with state officials, serve-yourself beer had to include some built-in deterrents.

A waitress must first check IDs before turning on the tap. When the digital ticker counting each ounce hits 180 – or about three pitchers – the taps shut off until a server comes by to check on the table. Bigger parties keep servers running back and forth fairly often, while it’s rarer for smaller groups to hit the limit.

Each tap has two spouts offering a selection of the bar’s more than a dozen beers, including Miller Lite, Guiness Stout, Newcastle and a house brew called Numbers Ale. Customers can only pick which taps they get by reserving a private party table.

To use the taps, diners simply reach into the middle of the table and pull the lever to get as much – or as little – beer as they’d like. Meters and valves monitor the flow and instantly display how many ounces the table has tapped.

I’m thinking I need to have a Peach Pundit field trip to STATS to check this out.

1. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Sounds nice, but in realaity can be somewhat of a health hazard. Most people will tap off their beer by placing the glass up into the beer spout. Assuming I’m reusing my glass, all my germs and backwash are now contaminating the beer spout. Let’s just hope the server santizes the spouts between parties, but I doubt it.

A good bartender never lets the beer touch the spout and never reuses the same glass for individual pouring. I’m sure I’m over-reacting, but just something to think about.
    😉

2. CobbGOPer says:

Of course, I’ve been up to Stats a few times. You almost have to get one of these “tap” tables in order to get a drink, as their service truly sucks.

I went there with a friend a couple months back before a Hawks game. Sat at the bar, which was by no means full. Waited for the tender to take our drink order. And waited. And waited. All the while this guy is serving drinks to everyone around us. Dunno, maybe we looked weird or something (or we didn’t have the right anatomical parts, if you understand my meaning), but after sitting there for 10 minutes we finally got the bartender’s attention, told him to F-off, and left with the manager trying to apologize on the way out.

Haven’t been back since.

3. Jas says:

It sounds a lot cooler than it really is. I found it more of a gimmicky thing than anything. Give me Mr. C’s and $6.95 pitchers

Food was decent but overpriced for a sports bar. Service was deplorable. Crowd was OK, but tended to get progressively more thuggish as the evening went on.

4. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

“Um, but it has alcohol in it, so wouldn’t it kind of be bad for germs in the first place? Maybe that just applies for liquor…”

Jas, Mr. C’s? Gotta love it, and I’m shocked that anyone from PP would know about Mr. C’s; good times.

5. CobbGOPer says:

“Yeah ok, next time you have an infected wound, place a beer-soaked dressing over it and see how that works out for you…sorry, but 4 to 6% alcahol isn’t going to cut it.”

There’s a reason I’m not an M.D. 🙂

6. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

LOL…I like the way you think though, definitely would have been a solution to the high cost of health care…Then again, knowing how the General Assembly works, every pub/bar would be required to apply for a Certificate of Need …. which would result in one pub every 100 square miles!

cheers!
    🙂

7. onthefence says:

I love beer…and drinking in general. I like to try new places and wonder where is Mr. C’s. Thanks for the heads up!

8. Romegaguy says:

This was news when the place opened several months ago… and yes the service is horrible and food overpriced.

9. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Onthefence, Mr. C’s is a dive bar on the corner of Howell Mill and Collier, 2 buildings south of Felini’s. For a few years it was also known as the Emerald Isle. Just beware, some of the regulars are mean and angry drunks.

Have fun…

10. Doug Deal says:

I had a similar idea, only it was soup and gravy instead of beer. I will consult my patent attorney to see if I have an infringement suit.

11. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Doug are you part-time inventor? Didn’t you come up with the idea for a video game involving all the world’s animals fighting one on one? Sort of like in a fight club?

12. Just the Facts Please says:

Can you buy a beer there on Sunday? But all those drunks could be at home having a beer and not driving. Just makes too much sense.

Just the Facts Please

13. liberator says:

I know booze kills germs. A few Jack Daniels and Jager Bombs will knock out flus and colds better that nyquil and all that other nonsense.

14. Bill Simon says:

Liberator,

Jack D is 40% alcohol…significantly higher than beer.

As far as Jager goes, frankly, I don’t get the allure of drinking sickeningly sweet licorice-flavored alcohol.

15. Doug Deal says:

LIMH

Yes, that was me. Sadly, my inventions are but theoretical musings. As valuable as the “gravy and soup tap” could be to this economy, I just don’t hav the drive to build the prototype and bring it to market.

16. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Doug,
    That’s a shame, I think the animal fight club idea is brilliant. Theoretically speaking, I’ve always wondered how my cats would fare against a single dog. Probably not well if it’s a large dog bred to fight, but would still be fun to play out on a PC.

17. Doug Deal says:

LIMH,

Well, if you are willing to fund the capital to develop the game, I would be MORE than willing to accept it and get right to work.

I think $250,000 would be enough. I will even give you 90% of the Net*.

* as defined by MY accountants