WSJ and Justice Thomas

The Wall Street Journal has an interview up with Georgia native and current Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas.

It makes for a good read.

1. Doug Deal says:

Thomas is my favorite justice on the bench. Whn he disagrees with Scalia on the bench, you can be assured that Scalia is wrong and probably acting politically or with a personal motivation in mind.

2. BubbaRich says:

Doug:

I only read a few opinions a year, but I can’t think of any decisions I’ve seen them disagree on, much less any opinions explaining the difference. Do you have any examples?

3. curt flood says:

Ginsburg and Breyer are my favorite justices on the bench. When they disagree with Scalia, Scalia is most assuredly in the wrong. Same with Thomas. And that’s most of the time.

4. boyreporter says:

When he disagrees with Scalia? You mean, like when it snows in August? You must be kidding. The mute Mr. Thomas has not improved with age, except for the increasing frequency of shining “Mr. Charlie” Scalia’s shoes.

5. Doug Deal says:

Boy, Bubba,

This document has a cross tab of the frequency of disagreement between justices. I do not endorse any conclusion, but in the raw data, you’ll notice that Thomas and Scalia disagree 6.6% of the time. About 150 certiorari petitions are granted a year, so that means 9 disagreements a year.

Those cases are generally interesting. Later, I will write a disertation about these cases, but from general recollection I do not ever recall siding with Scalia.

Before you criticize Thomas and Scalia for voting alike quite often, you liberals out there should look at Ginsberg, Souter and Breyer’s numbers.

And finally, to boyreporter alone…

Why not take your racist nonsense elsewhere?

6. juliobarrios says:

“except for the increasing frequency of shining “Mr. Charlie” Scalia’s shoes.”

Isn’t it sad that in this day and age, black men that don’t think and act the way black men are supposed to act still get the Uncle Tom crap. Nobody would make such a reference about the liberal Justices voting in unison.

7. boyreporter says:

Clarence Thomas accepted affirmative action all through school and then turned on the concept. He’s a hypocrite, at least. Uncle Tom? No, just a selfish fool.

8. boyreporter says:

Dougie — why don’t I take my racist nonsense elsewhere? ‘Cause this is where the nonsensical racists are.

9. Doug Deal says:

boy,

And you fill in the role of Grand Dragon quite well.

10. bluemcduff says:

Fantastic article on Thomas–I’ve always seen him as one of the more intelligent justices on the court.

I am so glad he’s one of the younger ones–if only we had more justices willing to take the worst the left can dish out and come out clean on the other side.

11. juliobarrios says:

“Clarence Thomas accepted affirmative action all through school and then turned on the concept.”

12. boyreporter says:

“At some point the concept needs to be “turned on” as it’s not supposed to go on forever. It was needed back when Thomas was coming up.”

That is such a relief. At last, a level playing field. Whew! ‘Bout time, huh?

13. juliobarrios says:

“Such confident, dismissive declarations about a complicated subject, obviously from someone without an effing clue.”

I’d say your little definition is perfect for the following racist quote:

“The mute Mr. Thomas has not improved with age, except for the increasing frequency of shining “Mr. Charlie” Scalia’s shoes.”

14. boyreporter says:

At least, my comment was meant as an insult to a crappy guy foisted on us by W Sr. (Is there no end to what that family can do TO this country?) It was not meant to edify with serious comment the on-going posts about how wonderful Mr. Mute is. I hope Scalia tips well. Racism:?How about your condescending tone regarding a man so ill-qualified and so obviously NOT the best man W Sr could have chosen…not even close…that there really is no wonder that he hasn’t been able to form a question to anyone appearing before the Court in all these years. Your intense fawning would be out of place even for a family pet. Why are you trying so hard? To convince yourself, possibly?

15. juliobarrios says:

Be honest boyreporter, you’re about at racist as they come. You’ve got the view that all black people are supposed to think and believe the exact same thoughts. If any of them waver from those boundaries out comes the “Uncle Tom” and “Yes Master” comments.

Frankly it’s beyond despicable.

And I stand by my previous comments, Affirmative Action is not supposed to be permanent.

I always found it humorous watching Campbell try and explain why race based contracts were still needed in a city where blacks dominate the Mayor’s, city council, Sheriff’s, District Attorney’s, and Police Chief’s offices.

16. boyreporter says:

Julio, you are all over the map, bro. Ain’t nothin’ racist ’bout sayin’ a dude ain’t got nothin’ when he ain’t, ah-ight.

You need Clarence because he’s a black man you are comfy with. He does the white man’s bidding, and that makes him “independent.” Transparency, thou are Julio.

17. BubbaRich says:

Doug:

What document has that reference you mention?

I’d be interested to see how often Thomas votes against Scalia on the winning side of a 5-4 decision. Of course, I’d want to compare that to other justices’ similar counts.