Dick Pettys to Retire at Year’s End; Honored By Georgia Senate [UPDATED]

Today, the state Senate took a few moments to honor and recognize a giant of Georgia political journalism; Dick Pettys. Pettys will be retiring at the end of the year after more than three decades of covering all aspects of Georgia politics.

In a rare moment, the Senate relaxed its rules to allow the longtime reporter the courtesy of walking down the chamber’s center aisle as he prepared to address the body not as a news-breaker but as a news-maker. Pettys’ remarks came after Senate Resolution 1199 was unanimously adopted honoring him for his long service of accurately providing the political news of the day to Georgians; first as a writer for the Associated Press and then as the editor of Insider Advantage Georgia.

Lt. Governor Casey Cagle had the following to say about Dick Pettys’ pending retirement:

“The response in the chamber today showed just how much the Senate respects and appreciates Dick Pettys. He has not only provided exceptional coverage of our capitol for many years, but he has also become a good and trusted friend to many of us. Our chamber simply will not be the same without him and I hope he knows how very much he will be missed.”

On a personal note, I’d like to share a story about Dick Pettys. On the first day of the 2007 session last year, as I walked onto the floor of the Georgia Senate for the first time, a tall gentleman wearing a dark blazer and a pair of khakis came up to me and said, “Andre, Dick Pettys. Nice to meet you. If you need any help this session, feel free to ask me and good luck.” Now of course, I’m paraphrasing here, but that was the gist of Dick Pettys’ words to me on January 8, 2007. Dick Pettys is one of those political news reporters that I admire and respect. And I honestly believe the Senate Press Gallery will seem just a little bit empty without him back there taking notes, interviewing lawmakers, and generally keeping people in the know of what’s going on under the Gold Dome.

1. Bill Simon says:

“Fair and accurate spin”…hmmmm…

Andre, just so I’ll know where your baseline perspective is, do you consider Bill Shipp’s coverage of political news to have been “fair and accurate”?

2. Rogue109 says:

Bill:

How silly of you! You forgot that Andre doesn’t doesn’t believe that there is a “leftist” side to reporting. There is only the perfectly balanced “progressive/democratic/leftist/marxist” side of reporting which is totally fair in the middle and the “nazi/republician/racist/evil” side off in the distance with their outrageous positions and lunatic fringe perspective.

Besides, don’t expect Andre to respond to your question. After all: “I normally don’t post two consecutive blog entries on Peach Pundit[.]”

3. Andre Walker says:

I consider Bill Shipp to be the Dean of Georgia Politics and as such, I will speak nary a bad word about him.

4. juliobarrios says:

Bill-

You got there before I did. I really respect the way Pettys and Baxter try to get both sides of the story; not so much Shipp.

5. Rogue109 says:

Well, Bill Simon, how was that? Did that answer from Andre provide all the answers you need (grin)?

6. juliobarrios says:

It’s that Democrat / union attitude – the guy with the most seniority is obviously the most qualified. 🙂

7. Romegaguy says:

Are you sure Pettys didnt say “Hey kid can you move out of the way, some of us have to work”

8. SpaceyG says:

The passing of a grander journalistic era for certain. The inmates are running amuck in the asylum already. No stopping them now though!

9. Icarus says:

Slight threadjack, but similar topic:

Did I miss something or am I reading the AJC PI page wrong? Is Jim Galloway working solo again?

10. rugby fan says:

I never really saw much of the DC centered writing so it wouldn’t be much of a change.

“Is Jim Galloway working solo again”

I could make a joke out of that but I feel that theme has been beat to death.

11. Romegaguy says:

Rugby have you ever been deep sea fishing? One trip I took we had this guy on board that would put the bait on our hooks and set them out. I think his title was Master Baiter