What’s Going On With The Weather?

I’m sitting here watching the news concerning the apparent tornado that hit downtown Atlanta.

If anyone has any news or if you want to talk about the extremely rare occurance of a tornado hitting downtown Atlanta, consider this an open thread.

Let’s say a prayer for the victims and ask God to take care of the first responders who’re going to have to clean up this mess.

1. AubieTurtle says:

My building appears to have no damage, whereas just a couple of blocks down the street it’s a disaster. Tornadoes are pretty rare here but I dealt with them all the time growing up in Alabama so I hid in the bathroom upon seeing something strange looking over the Georgia Dome (it was too dark to know for sure if it was a tornado but whatever it was, it didn’t look good). The train whistle sounds were very errie. It looks like many of the buildings friends live in were damaged but so far I haven’t heard of anyone being hurt, so that’s something to be thankful for.

2. Rick Day says:

I am at Spring and 4th in Midtown. A few blocks north of the Varsity. I have two tent ‘awnings’ set up outside and lashed with cinder blocks.

We had heavy rain, lots of lightening and two very freaked out basset hounds.

I have a window facing downtown and watched the whole thing. It was as if a cloud of anger descended from the Southwest and swept over downtown like a tsunami.

None of the photos would take because the lightening was frequent and unrelenting.

I feel for the homies on the streets that night.

The lofts at Spring and Luckie where we used to live took a direct hit.

I listened to scanfulton.com, amazed at the coordination, sheer panic, direction and general disaster preparedness drills all finally coming into play.

Then, according to dispatch 10 guys with guns decided it was time to take some revenge out on each other, taking advantage of the lack of police response, grr…

Fairley Poplar took a hard hit, according to wiebke, moderator of the downtown atlanta blog on Live Journal.

The Klingons were set to march in the parade this morning, but it is canceled. Everything downtown is canceled.

But at Spring and 4th, all is well. Glad I cleaned the gutters last week.

3. AubieTurtle says:

The heavy damage is confined to a very narrow path from Vine City, over the Dome and GWCC, through Centennial Olympic Park and down Luckie and International. Past downtown into the Cabbagetown area I didn’t see. Outside of the narrow path, there are lots and lots of windows blown out of highrises. Everything from the 191 building to the north appears ok. Georgia-Pacific, Centennial Tower, the Westin and the SunTrust building across from Woodruff Park have lots of missing windows. It looks like the Equitable building got the worst of it in terms of windows being blown out.

There is glass everywhere. On the good side of things, with the exception of the vacant building next to the Tabernacle, everything else in Downtown appears to be quickly reparable. The Stacks at the Cotton Mill Loft in Cabbagetown sound like they’re a total disaster.

4. Demonbeck says:

I heard the tornado had a penchant for betting on dog fights, but can it scramble out of a four man rush?

5. Bill Simon says:

I believe Senator Nancy Shaefer is working on a letter to her constituents just like the one she wrote back in 2005 about Hurricane Katrina hitting New Orleans. Back then, Schaefer wsaid it was the Wrath of God upset with all the homosexuality in New Orleans.

This time, she will, no doubt, reference homosexuality as the cause of the tornado hitting downtown Atlanta.

6. Chris says:

Is it any wonder that the tornado struck Cabbage town, on St. Patty’s day Weekend.

This is God’s way of saying no to Sunday Sales.

7. Demonbeck says:

The tornado hit on Friday, didn’t it? Would that mean that God is trying to say He can take our ability to purchase wine for the Sabbath any time and for as long as He chooses and therefore should allow Sunday sales?

8. Romegaguy says:

But demon it is not a coincidence that the tornado came the day after a House committee votes to allow Georgians to decide whether or not if they want to have alcohol sales on Sunday.