GOP National Delelgates.

This morning at the Gwinnett GOP convention quite a few people announced they were running for delegate to the GOP’s National Convention. Most of these people were people I had never laid eyes on before. Several of them mentioned their desire to influence the GOP’s Platform.

I spoke with a first time attender to the GOP County Convention. This gentleman asked me if the selection of delegates to the National Convention was like voting in Cuba. He wondered just how “high up” the decision was made. I tried to explain to the gentleman that people who become National delegates are people with long records of service within the GOP. The idea that a person can show up for the first time, announce his/her intention to run for National delegate and expect to be elected is preposterous. It’s not because the GOP attempts to freeze people out or screw people, it’s because attending a National Convention is considered an honor. I know people who have been in the GOP for 30+ years who have never been able to attend a National Convention.

I hate to break it to all these people attending the GOP Convention for the first time but you won’t be a National Delegate. It’s not going to happen.

1. John Konop says:

Why not send some new blood? The old guys help put us 9 trillion in the red and drove the dollar into the ground. In all due respect Buzz you sound more like a rush chairman at a fraternity house not a concerned citizen about the direction of our country.

2. Hank Reardan says:

I know some of this is aimed at the Ron Paul folks.Thats O.K. but most of them know they will not be going to St Paul.We have had meetings where 50-60 would show up for training on how to become a delegate. I believe most would like to become a delegate but they know the chances.We had a great GOP county convention here in Griffin today (Splading county). The Ron Paul people were well recieved and we knew our chances. 40% of the delegates from Spalding that were selected for the state convention are people who worked on the Ron Paul campaign.But you know the funny thing the GOP in Griffin knew who we were. If fact we made sure to tell them. We bragged on how well Paul did in Griffin and how hard we worked on his campign. They were happy to see the new blood.I even told them how involved with the Libertarian Party that I have been. They shook my hand and said they would love to work with me. It will be county parties like Spalding going forward who will do better than the county GOPs that fight to keep the newbies away. At the end of the day I had a good day and enjoyed the company of the Republicans.But I am a Libertarian and as long as they run small government types I will help them and I will always help my Libertarian brothers first .I do not mind helping them (the GOP) as long as they are moving towards freedom.
    BTW I start my radio show tomorrow on 1320 AM whie in Griffin. It can be heard as far as Macon and up to Jonesboro. The show is Crazy for Liberty. We will be interviewing Allen Buckley the Libertarian running for US Senate

3. boyreporter says:

Sorry, Spaceyg, but “good service” and the GOP are antithetical. And JK, you’re surprised at the Republicans’ penchant for control, direction, lock-step following the leader? But the main mystery is how anyone can take pride in what the Party of Lincoln — ha! — has become. First of all, it stands firmly for nothing except zero taxes, and second, it owes its success in the South to racists abandoning the national Democrats and seeking a warm home. The GOP gave it to them and built on that putrid foundation. But don’t get me started…

4. juliobarrios says:

The Ron Paul folks at our convention were not the brightest bulbs in the pack. Somehow I don’t think they went to any training seminars.

Look folks, there is nothing mystical about it and it’s certainly not Cuba. It’s a really unique system called a popular vote. If you show up to a convention of 150 people with 5 of your Ron Paul buddies, I think it’s a little foolish to expect many people to vote for your slate of delegates.

5. Hank Reardan says:

I am not sure about 5 out of a 140 All I know is that 40% of spalding county delegates to the state convention are Ron Paul people. I have not heard how the other counties went. When I do I will let you guys know.

6. juliobarrios says:

Maybe Spalding had a bigger percentage, but Fulton’s was infinitesimal. I expect Gwinnett’s was similar to Fulton. The problem is even with 40% of the vote (a high turnout for the Paulies) it usually doesn’t win very many elections.

7. juliobarrios says:

Another point. I don’t know Spalding’s distribution, but some counties have a lot more delegates available than people who show up, so basically everyone who comes gets to be a delegate. As far as Fulton (a major county when it comes to delegates to the state convention), I would be surprised if more than 2 were elected as delegates to the State convention. And those 2 would have been elected by mistake just because Fulton has so many delegates.

8. John Konop says:

Both parties have promoted cronyism, power, greed and money over policy.

Many democrats have turned a blind eye to Hillary who benefited from her stock holdings and as a board member of Wal-Mart while they lied to Americans with a phony buy America product program while promoting the outsourcing of our economy to China and Mexico and using their products. Also while running a racist southern strategy against Obama she promotes herself as female victim candidate while many party members say nothing. And if that is not enough Hillary promotes herself as the candidate with experience yet not only did she vote for the Iraq war, but she never read the intelligence warning her about what all the problems in this failed nation building strategy before sending brave soldiers to die.

As far as the GOP they have not seen failed pork driven bill promoted by lobbyist they did not like! Please someone tell with one of the following lobbyist money changer bills from No Child Left Behind, Energy Bill, Highway Bill, Farm Bill, Drug Prescription Bill represents even a scent of fiscal sanity? Please tell me how we can afford 100 years in Iraq with a 9 trillion dollar debt and growing and the dollar in the toilet?

The establishment in both parties is promoting the sell out of our country brick by brick.

9. juliobarrios says:

Just for the record I don’t have any problem with Ron Paul. As a matter of fact I thought he brought a lot of good points to the debate. I’d support his followers 100% if I thought they had a genuine interest in taking the debate further to the right.

But when his backers seem to be on a mission to be get elected to the National Convention and then skirt the popular vote by overthrowing the convention, then I will vote against them.

Keep in mind, it was a fair and square Primary vote and Paul didn’t do all that well. It’s sour grapes at this point. I was a Romney guy, but am not trying to overthow the popular vote.

10. StevePerkins says:

C’mon front-page posters, are you guys asleep at the wheel? There are still a COUPLE of you that haven’t posted the exact same redundant thread within a span of 24 hours. There’s still time for Spacey and Andre to cut-n-paste the same concerns, and likewise completely ignore HankReardan’s completely reasonable response to those concerns.

Seriously, it seems like the people raising the biggest ruckus and pulling out the tinfoil hats on this issue have never actually talked (outside the Internet) to any of the people they’re referring to.

11. Hank Reardan says:

I have no sour grapes. I have work to long in the Libertarian party and I am use to what went on with the Ron Paul campaign.Thing like little coverage and such.I believe the biggest thing that will come of this is people getting involved with politics that believe in smaller government and Libertarian type ideas.I have not meet a lot of tin foil types in my travels within the Ron paul world. I have meet a lot of fanatics I am one. But then again I believe Liberty and freedom are something worth getting worked up oever.
    BTW Steve I missed you at the Lp convention

12. shep1975 says:

The few delegate spots are typically award to those who have “paid their dues” to the party. I have been a State GOP Vice-Chair, College Republican and YR National Officer, held offices on the Cong. District and County level and have still only been an Alternate to the Convention in NY.

Some of the CR leadership will likely make it to give some younger people a shot, just as was the case in 2004.

13. Hank Reardan says:

Also guys I would like to point out how nice the Old timers were in Griffin. We had some drop out of being a delegate so some of our guys could go.The funny thing is in the Libertarian party I am a old timer. Here they called me young blood.

14. JayHanley says:

I was a delegate to the 2004 National Convention in New York City. At 21, I was the youngest Georgia delegate (by three days). Andrew Dill, who was chair of the UGA College Republicans at the time was also a delegate.

I was elected from the district level.

15. ProfG says:

Jay, that’s impossible. Didn’t you hear these people? You must pay your dues for years. You must have a long record of service. You must have imagined going to National at such a young age. You dang whippersnapper!!!!!

16. IndyInjun says:

Erick and Buzz are still of the RedState mentality, where supporters of Ron Paul or conservatives can be silenced, banished, or otherwise deemed ‘irrelevant’

These folks are not trying to take over the party as much as take it back.

Taking the GOP back from the Bushite, Glennite, and Rovite power structure seems here to be a good thing, given the damage they have done to us all.

17. debbie0040 says:

There are some Ron Paul supporters that are on the fringe extreme, but they are not the majority. These fringe Paul supporters have not become active in the GOP. They will end up voting for the Independent.

The ones that have become active with the Gwinnett GOP are very articulate and conservative. They have pitched in and volunteered when they are needed. They don’t have to be asked twice. They keep asking to be given volunteer opportunities. They have been welcomed and embraced because they believe in GOP principles of limited government, low taxes and low spending. They are not anti war. They are newly awakened conservative activists. Ron Paul activated these new people.

There are some in the GOP that are of the entitlement frame of mind. They think that only the ones that have paid their dues with years of service are the only ones that deserve leadership positions. They welcome new people as long as they “know their place”.

The GOP will never grow if that mindset is allowed to control the local parties.

There is room in the party for newbies and long time activists. The long time activists should not be tossed aside and neither should the newbies.

The National delegate selection process is still voted on by delegates. Whoever can run effective campaigns and garner the most votes should win. The Ron Paul supporters that I have spoken with don’t want to try to over throw McCain’s nomination. They just want to influence the platform.

I have explained to some of the new activists that the best way to influence the Platform is to contact the Platform Committee that meets in the weeks prior to the Convention. The convention simply votes on and ratifies or approves the platform that the Platform committee has created.

18. Harry says:

Well said, Debbie. The GOP has seen newbies come and go, but we’re a big tent, and hard-working talent will be recognized and promoted, Sonny Perdue being a great example. There’s also adequate provision for a back-bencher to buttonhole politicians at meetings and get my 2 cents in.

19. Bull Moose says:

Savannah had a lot of new faces too. Hopefully they all had a good time and felt included.

We need a healthy balance of new, old, young, long time servers, etc… to be involved to help make our party one that represents everyone…

20. Bill Simon says:

Debbie Sez:I have explained to some of the new activists that the best way to influence the Platform is to contact the Platform Committee that meets in the weeks prior to the Convention.

Oh great. We have Debbie indoctrinating the newbies. Talk about the dumb leading the blind…

21. boyreporter says:

I can’t effing believe it. You guys are really serious about being Republicans. Jeez. What color is the sky in your world?

22. Rick Day says:

as the kids say on the blog, this thread if full of teh lulz.

My building super (a distant relative of a great Republican President) attended the Fulton meeting. Many an octogenarian was moved to comment “now that you have decided to become activists, perhaps now I can retire.”

You think “revolution” was a buzz word? Wait until the status quo looks up in a few years and sees a very determined group of newly elected revolutionaries banging on the God Dome door. (snicker)

Then, and only then, will this party return to its conservative roots.

I don’t know which is funnier, the ‘big tent’ comment, or the claim that Sonny is a ‘great’ example of, what..hard working talent? (giggle) That Sonny ‘paid his dues’ within the party (guffaw).

Republicans. The color of the sky in their world is the same as the rest of their world, “Lily White”. (rofl).

Julio: 40% would have taken GA in a landslide. 40% in a party that is crumbling at the seams is a MANDATE.

23. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

From Debbie:

New people are always welcome to join in, as long as they are not trying to take over and kick the rest of us out, and as long as their goal is not to hijack the National Convention.

24. Bill Simon says:

Debbie has VERY good experience with being new to the party herself, joining a renegade group, and contributing to the 5-year CLUSTER-F*CKING of a county party.

Don’t trust one frigging thing Debbie EVER tells you.

25. boyreporter says:

“…the 5-year CLUSTER-F*CKING of a county party.”

Sorta like seven years of the same activity by W and Co. to this entire country, right?

26. shep1975 says:

I have to disagree with you on that one Debbie. I was 25 years old and had never attended a State Party Convention in 2001 when I was elected 4th Vice-Chairman. The 5th Vice-Chairman elected that convention was Chip Pearson who is now a state senator. Georgia gives 20 and 30 somethings greater access to positions of leadership than almost any other state I’ve heard about.

I had paid my dues as a political consultant, congressional staffer and CR leader by 2001, but it was the delegates at the 2001 convention that did give me that big shot. They also did the same for 24 year old Bert Guy who was elected Assist. Secretary. Bert’s now Secretary.

I think that’s why the GAGOP has been as successful as it has been, because there are so many so willing to allow new blood into the mix.

27. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Also from Debbie:

You can have our very militant Ron Paul supporters. They not only want to overthrow McCain’s nomination, but they want to change the platform to the Libertarian platform, or , in their own words, “They won’t be coming back.”

I’m not a McCain or Paul supporter. I just don’t think some of the new, militant Paul supporters that I have met understand that a political party involves a small amount of compromise (notice I said small.) You won’t always get everyone on your delegate list nominated, and you won’t always get everyone to agree with you on your ideas for Resolutions. And, it is very helpful if you try to get to know the folks already involved before you try and force them to change to your ways. Change always takes time and is best done if it is not forced!

28. Bill Simon says:

Exactly, Boy. No argument from me.

BUT, when it’s done on the local level for no other reason than to play petty little power-trip games because THAT’S the only world in which they can figure out how to screw someone, that is a case of me being able to personally do something about it.

Go ask Little Debbie about the “censor” resolution she and her merry band of ClusterF*ckups tried to get passed against me in 2004. Their side lost. What a bunch of morons.

29. Bill Simon says:

To clarify what Shep just said:

“New blood” is welcome. Insane, lying misfits aren’t. There is a CLEAR distinction. Debbie and her ilk fit the latter group.

30. Ms_midtown says:

I was under the impression that all Republican national conventions, their platforms, who speaks when and where, are under the complete control of the nominee.
    Hijacking a Republican convention is the toughest mission in politics.

31. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

We all know that it is extremely hard to hijack a convention with today’s primary system, but some of these folks think that if Ron Paul doesn’t win, our country is finished. They believe that they are fighting a revolution, and they still believe they can do it. The problem is that most of them have never even been through the convention process and learned about it beforehand only by reading about it. The other day someone said the convention process is largely for show…I completely agree. It doesn’t matter how many people you can get to a convention or how many of your resolutions you get passed. Lacking viable candidates for local offices that reflect your views makes all of that simply window dressing.

I’m glad many of you have had good experiences with Ron Paul supporters…I wish I could say the same. Some areas are just plagued with very militant and angry groups.

32. Hank Reardan says:

What District are you in? Maybe I will meet you. I have been to a lot of the Ron Paul training days. Most of them are new to politics. Out of the 50-60 people at these training days I only knew 4-5 people from the Libertarian party. The Ron Paul people are Libertarian leaning but most are not Libertarians. Most Libertarians are pro- choice and not hard core on Illegals. I am one of these guys that are going to the State convention that is a Real Libertarian and I am not going there to be a radical but someone who like you guys to get back to your roots of small government. We only run 2-5 people a year that means there is a chance for me to vote Republican on 96% of the other candidates. If you guys reach out to us we would help you guys elect small government types but not theocrats. I hope to meet you guys at the state convention or at the third district. My name is Doug Craig and I hope to see you there.