Attention Ron Paul Supporters

Party rules state that you must support the “principles of the Republican Party and support its aims and purposes” to be a delegate to the mass meetings and subsequent conventions.

Nowhere however are the principles of the Republican Party formally outlined. I believe the Principles of the Republican Party are limited government, individual liberty and a belief in free markets.

Dr. Paul’s supporters have shown themselves to be organized, motivated, and dedicated. The Republican Party needs that kind of support. You managed to raise $5 million dollars for your candidate in one day. We need that kind of support. You managed to place signs and banners at hundreds of intersections and overpasses. We need that kind of support. You’ve walked door to door promoting your candidate. We need that kind of support.

I saw someone carrying a sign at the exit ramp for N120 Loop over in Cobb that said “Ron Paul made me care about politics again”. We need that kind of support.

Erick’s comments about anti-semites, truthers and nazis represent the vocal fringe of your movement. We DON’T need their support.

The 95% of you who just want smaller government, lower taxes and a government that actually obeys the Constitution and the laws that govern it are needed in this party. You are needed to counter act those who wish to use Government to promote their moral agendas. You are needed to counter those who wish to use public monies to enrich their friends and family. You are needed to counter those who believe America is great because of government not in spite of it.

The government of the country is setup to be a two party system. Third parties have never amounted to anything since the end of reconstruction. The only way to change government is to work within the framework of the two party system. That can be done.

However it will take people who are patient, willing to listen, willing to work with in the system, and willing to try and change hearts and minds through persuasion and not through confrontation.

Dr. Paul will not be the 2008 Presidential nominee. He will not be John McCain’s running mate. However there are changes that can be made in your cities, counties and state. The first step in that is getting active in your local Republican Party.

I’ll see you on Saturday.

1. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

It might help to add that there is some distrust among even those of us conservatives involved in the county parties because we were bombarded with new faces at the precinct conventions. Only a small handful of Paul supporters have bothered showing at other party events before or after the precinct mass meetings in our county. Those are the people that we want to stay…those who are not simply trying to get Ron Paul elected, but those who are committed to long term change and getting involved at the local level. If you are a Paul supporter and you are not interested in helping the local party with local things, we would prefer you stay home. It is not all about the president, or about one man. Real change takes a long time, and starts with local offices.

I might also add that they are without excuse for not coming to party meetings…most of us are easy to find on the internet, and the meetings are free and open to the public. Just my two cents as an active conservative.

2. “… the Principles of the Republican Party are limited government, individual liberty and a belief in free markets.”

Geez, when people actually say that, I get all nostalgic and misty-eyed. Sniff.

3. Chris says:

Our energy crisis could be solved by wrapping President Reagan in some copper wire and re-electing George Bush for a 3rd term.

4. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I might also add that each county has a set of resolutions that represent its beliefs…but the state platform has been impossible for me to find online. Is there a reason the platform is not on the state website, or am I just technologically challenged and have missed it somewhere?

5. waterboy says:

As a Republican, I’ll edit the list Chris started by saying that those putting signs ILLEGALLY on the roadsides, bridges, interstate ramps, etc. are not wanted…neither are the ones that put Ron Paul stickers on stop signs and other road signs. That is pathetic and needs to end. (p.s. go pick up your old signs and stickers….now it is annoying AND ugly)

Otherwise, amen to Chris.

6. Chris says:

waterboy – good point. We need to channel their energy into productive purposes, and as you put it – legal purposes.

7. curt flood says:

If the GOP really believed in individual liberty, its members wouldn’t be so quick to knuckle under to the Patriot Act; and would zealously defend the due process rights of criminal defendants / appellants.

And to buy beer on Sundays. 🙂

8. IndyInjun says:

Sorry, but the recent corrupt actions of the GOP Fed, the words this morning of George W. Bush, a man who would run a hot dog stand to bankruptcy, the INSANE $15,000 GIFTS proposed by Isakson yesterday and the posting of Erick below were the final straw.

I have never voted a straight ticket and I have never voted for a Democrat POTUS. Both of these are about to change.

The letter “D” on a ballot once meant damned.

Friends don’t let friends vote or run as GOP.

It will send you straight to hell.

9. Icarus says:

Indy,

If I had a dollar for every last straw that has caused you to vote democrat in the next election, I could balance the budget myself.

10. IndyInjun says:

Icarus,

You couldn’t balance anything with Saxby and Johnny, for they are clearly imbalanced.

11. ikester8 says:

Chris, thank you for your comments. We will do our best to live up to them, and remain involved. We’re in this for the long haul, and we’re not going away, and we will not be driven out.

12. Donkey Kong says:

I almost hope that Obama wins just so his supporters who think he is the Messiah are severely disappointed.

*Almost.*

13. jsm says:

“Not to mention, the rights of men and women to marry one another irrespective of their gender.”

Wait a minute. Using the term “marry” changes that argument. This term was not defined by government, nor should it be redefined by government. It’s a religious term that government only chose to recognize and now uses for taxation purposes.

The correct application of the GOP’s purported principles would be to allow anyone to make any contract they want with any other person. This would include a contract to give any two people the same legal rights to one another’s property and privacy that married couples have.

Sorry to interrupt. Just wanted to clarify.

14. Donkey Kong says:

jsm,

Dead on. You nailed my sentiments exactly. Under the law, we should have complete equality, and that means homosexual couples should be able to legally construct a contractual agreement akin to a marriage. But it’s not a “marriage,” which is a religious term.

15. Doug Deal says:

jsm,

Thats my belief as well. I also think that individuals should be able to share a household or form a partnership in a non-sexual relationship.

Marriage is a religious institution, not a government one. Government should have never entered into the marriage business in the first place.

16. NonPartisanGA says:

IndyInjun your straight ticket democrat vote will undoutedly put Snuggles over the top against Chambliss…LOL

17. ProfG says:

The “Principles of the Republican Party” are, at least semi-formally, outlined on the Georgia GOP website:

Why I am a Republican

I am a Republican Because…

I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.

FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.

I’m down with that. And anyone else who is — regardless of who he or she supports for president — should be welcomed into the GOP with open arms, not by trying to rebuff them with Stalin quotes and name-calling threats.

And those who stand in opposition to those principles… should be anathema. “Party for Party’s sake” is bull, and party hacks are what has made the base of the GOP sick to our stomachs. And it’s what is going to hand this country over to the Democrats if it keeps going on. Blech.

18. Icarus says:

I wouldn’t mind some further discussion of Isakson’s tax rebates for home purchases plan. Steve Perkins asked for a front page post earlier as well. This doesn’t seem to be the place for it, but if one of you fine folks with front page privileges feel so inclined, it would be appreciated.

After all, it’s for the children.

19. Doug Deal says:

I’m sure his background in real estate has abosultely no connection to his support of the rebate.

People selected this man over Herman Cain?

20. Icarus says:

Or, perhaps, his understanding of the problem, Doug.

Yes, we selected him over Herman Cain. And with no disrespect intended for Mr. Cain, I for one am still glad we did.

21. Doug Deal says:

Using the treasury and regulation to pick winners and losers in every day life is the problem.

Everything from the tax code, to earmarks to unfunded mandates. GET THE HECK OUT OF MY POCKETBOOK! (I don’t actually have a pocket book, I use a money clip.)

Isakson’s plan address the wrong problem. The problem with real estate is the changing rules that are preventing good home buyers from qualifying for loans because of the over-reaction by mortgage lenders. If you make credit impossible to obtain for first time home buyers (by raising the equity requirement to 10%) and also overly tighten appraisals, the market is going to crash. Low appraisals mean 10% equity might actually be more like 20% if the appraisal comes in under the sales price. That means less buyers, which decreases demand even more, and home prices go down the drain.

It is his part of the industry that lead to much of the problem.

22. Icarus says:

Doug,

You are often wrong, but seldom in doubt.

Someone please get Isakson’s proposal on the front page so I don’t have to debate this on a Ron Paul page.

23. Doug Deal says:

Icarus,

You are often wrong, but seldom in doubt.

So you have been reduced to ripping off Lev Landau. Of course it’s easy to plagiarize someone else for an insult than explain what you think is wrong.

24. Icarus says:

Those of just words Doug, no plagarism here. I believe that truth to be self-evident.

And I’ll be glad to explain it. Just want the proper forum. See if you can pull some strings with the rat bastard to make that happen.

25. IndyInjun says:

Shoot, it is more of the same from Isakson. How many bailouts- of Delta’s pension did he get done. Since the pensions were federally-insured, passing increasing underfunding and losses from Delta to the public, how could he have been championing free market economics?

GOP cronism means socialized losses in exchange for privatized gains, like Leo Mullins $10 million-or-so severence package.

26. Icarus says:

Isakson has a plan to give a $15,000 tax rebate ($5K/year for three years) to anyone who buys a home this year. A few have taken shots at it, a few have defended it over various threads that were off topic. Seems like it deserves its own thread.

27. dorian says:

At one time, maybe America was actually a democratic republic. We aren’t any more. We’re a fabian socialist state. Republicans have lost, and will continue to lose on simple numbers. I graduated high school in 92. I can remember having a pregnant high school student was a big deal back then. Ask a public school teacher now-a-days if she can count the teenage pregnancies.

We have a unskilled low class that is incapable of self-sufficiency. We have another that is here illegally and can’t speak english. Both are growing exponentially. We have transformed from manufacturing to specialized services, niches if you will, that are shrinking. Anyone else see doom on the horizon?

Even good conservatives like Isakson fall lock step into fabianism. I think the best thing for real conservatives to do is go start a new county somewhere else.

28. Hank Reardan says:

Hey just attended the Spalding GOP meeting. Went great, 40% of the delegates elected to go to the state convention were Ron Paul or Libertarian types. We were very up front about who we were. They loved us and were happy to have us there.

29. ProfG says:

I just got back from the Gwinnett GOP meeting, where every single attendee became a delegate to the state and district conventions.

Too bad it was just all for show, right Erick?

30. Doug Deal says:

ProfG,

I was going to go to the Bibb Co one, but the baby is still too much of a handful to spend any time on anything other than watching him during the weekend.

Maybe Erick was just trying to keep everyone home so he could organize a Fred? takeover.

31. drjay says:

i do not think erick meant the county conventions are “for show” i think his point was more to the state and nat’l conventions being well organized and orchestrated–but i suppose i may have misunderstood

32. Doug Deal says:

drJ,

I was just kidding. I was just giving Erick a hard time. In the end, these things from top to bottom are not very important (most of the time) from a political perpspective. However, they are tremendously important to building a party.

33. ProfG says:

I think I know what Erick meant by the conventions being “well organized and orchestrated” – I heard that he actually ran the one in Bibb county (as “parliamentarian”), with another lawyer to back him up (I guess to counter the RP “insurgents”).

My sources :-0 also tell me that 1/4 of the folks going to the District 8 Convention from Bibb, and 1/3 of the folks going to State, are RP people.

Golly. Maybe not so orchestrated after all? 🙂