I’m hearing . . .

The Governor is strongly opposed to the GREAT Plan, or whatever it is presently called, and intends to campaign against it. Also, Dick Pettys reports on the House about to ramp up pressure on the Senate to pass the plan.

UPDATE: The AP is running this across the wire now:

Gov. Sonny Perdue on Thursday called the $672 million plan to eliminate the tax an “irresponsible” proposal and compared its hasty creation to the “Wright brothers jumping off of Kitty Hawk and designing an airplane on the way down.”

1. eehrhart says:

Abolishing the car tax is real tax relief and they just do not get it. It is the biggest tax cut in Georgia history and these supposed Republicans are against it. They talk and talk but never deliver. They are always against tax reform.

Just notice that they always talk about it but never pass any substantive measures.

Casey is like that kid on the playground who would throw a punch then run to the teacher and whine “their fighting!”

It will not work this time Casey you are going to have to stand in the ring and defend not taking the tax off cars.

I for one don’t think you can take it! This is one issue where you cannot make everybody happy and straddle the fence. What are you going to do?

2. Icarus says:

“The governor and the lt governor are going to be very poorly thought of across the state and especially at the Republican caucuses this weekend. ”

…So, they’re approaching the status the Speaker has already long since achieved?

3. eehrhart says:

Sure Icarus that is why he held the entire Republican caucus and most of the democrats on the resolution.

Wishful thinking on your part; just because he disagrees with you.

People want tax relief and he provided it.

4. dorian says:

Here’s what I don’t understand. The governor is popular. That isn’t going to change over him hosing your tax plan, but seriously, for the life of me, I don’t understand why he is so popular. I understand why people don’t like the speaker. That makes sense. Liking the governor. It doesn’t make sense. I actually like the fact he doesn’t support your GREAT tax, but not enough to like him. Of course, I actually think he doesn’t support it, because he didn’t think of it himself and can’t take credit for it.

5. Chris says:

I think the Governor doesn’t like it because it decreases government and the Governor is a democrat – regardless of the letter he put after his name when he ran.

Cagle make a point about economic stimulus. However cutting the car tax was never about economic stimulus. Its about reducing the burden of government on its citizens. I welcome the Lt. Governor’s ideas on economic stimulus – so long as he doesn’t adopt the Keynesian thinking of the President and his sorry lot of advisors.

Kudos to you Earl, the Speaker, and the rest of the house leadership for cutting taxes.

6. eehrhart says:

I for one am not an admirer of Lord Keynes and his demand side nonsense and his big government worldview. I prefer the Hayek approach or a more recent economist Laffer.

When you cut taxes it stimulates the economy and creates more revenue, unfortunately to the government also. It worked for Reagan and it has worked every single time it has been tried.

In Georgia when we cut the grocery tax some 400 million plus the state revenue grew by 1.1 billion. Again it works and the economics are simple and clean.

Keynesian Casey and Sonny do not get the joke to use sonny’s own vernacular.

Big government types always ask on every tax cut; “where is the money going to come from to replace”? That is the question of the government looter and not a conservative or limited government advocate.

And now for some real heresy to the looters I also suggest we cut spending also along with more tax cuts until we truly limit government and stop the out of control growth.

7. GeorgiaPowerBlonde1 says:

Talk about drinking the kool aid…I guess the GOOD rules chairman is just being a loyal lieutient. I am sure General Custer had a few good lieutients as well. It is kind of funny the bashing the Governor is getting here. But when you’re on top that’s what happens everyone wants a shot at the champ. What is also funny is just last week GA was honored as being one of the best run states in the Country by the Pew Center on the States. The Pew Center credited Governor Perdue’s leadership I must have missed the part where they credited the speaker or his tax plan…I even reread the article hoping to see the speakers name or mention of the so called great plan…but at last I failed to see either. I would be a little surprised if the speaker even knows what the “great plan” looks like anymore that thing has changed more that. I’d bet money it has gone through more changes than Michael Jackson’s last nose.

During the Governor tenure as the states head executive we have seen Georgia reestablish itself as the center of the modern south and recently be recognized as one of the best ran states in the country. He ushered in a republican house and senate; he also found time to raise more money than any previous Republican Governors Association Chairman had ever done and usher help usher in new republican governors across the county. All this was accomplished while the speaker over saw the growth of the biggest frat party outside of “Delta House” Don’t get me wrong “Otter” and the boys were working hard chasing GA power lobbyist, hitting telephone poles, and taking trips to the Daytona 500 and who can forget the great fight they had at their sine die party. Earl can drink all the kool aid he wants but the flavor is not gonna change his team still loses and he calls Casey a kid?

8. Dave Bearse says:

Perdue of course would rather eliminate state income taxes paid by rich retirees, seein’ how he’s fixin’ to become one.

Mr. Ehrhart says eliminating motor vehicle ad valorem taxes constitutes “real tax relief”. How does that square with the almost certain House approval of some sort of increased general sales tax to fund transportation?

Increasing the general sales tax to fund transportation while eliminating a tax paid by transportation users IS NOT TAX RELIEF. IT’S A TAX SHIFT OF THE WORST KIND. I trust however that Mr. Ehrhart opposes both sales tax proposals, or will not be citing the repeal of the ad valorem tax as “real tax relief” during fall campaigning.

Increased transportation funding in metro Atlanta is absolutely necessary. That said, metro Atlanta legislators dodging charges of a tax shift issue with the explanation that the regional sales tax is by referendum doesn’t cut it. (I’m futhermore looking forward to metro Atlanta legislators that support the current regional sales tax proposal explaining why choosing to tax yourself locally is contingent on paying 10% of the collected tax in tribute to the Gold Dome, especially in the case of transportation when metro Atlanta is choking on traffic while rural Georgia cruises around at 65mph on relatively little used divided highways constructed at state expense.)

The clear market and good government solution to transportation congestion is to increase motor fuel taxes. It’s basic high school market theory that higher costs will reduce transportation demand. The user tax revenue meanwhile can be used to build capacity (supply), basic good government. Selective Laffer curve and Hayek talk is undermined when high school level market economic theory is ignored for political reasons.

Though inferior to a motor fuel tax increase, the House could have dedicated the motor vehicle ad valorem tax to transportation in lieu of increasing sales taxes. That of course precludes campaigning on “real tax relief” in the fall, even if it is a ruse.

Applications of the terms “tax reform” and “real tax relief” in connection with ad valorum repeal and proposed sales taxes together are clearly misnomers.

9. Chris says:

Responsible fiscal conservatives (ie NOT George Bush/Denny Hastert/Bill Frist) also know that budgets should be balanced. Yes the Bush tax cuts increased government revenue – but the spending went even further beyond that.

I like this tax cut. The Governor has shown he wears the same stripes as the President with regard to spending. Cutting off his source of fund would force him to keep down the size of the Budget.

Can the House “appropriate” a $300 per family income tax credit on the Georgia form, or would that have to be done via other means? Non refundable of course.

10. heroV says:

that is quite a classy quote from you in the AJC: “he’s auditioning for the Barack Hussein Obama ticket.”

You are a huge douchebag, and I’m voting for McCain. Please explain what you are trying to convey by your quote?

11. jsm says:

Rep. Erhart,

If I understand the numbers I’ve seen from the DOR, based on 2006 data, the state would lose about $5 million in revenue with the removal of this tax, while counties, school boards, cities, and ‘other[s]’ would lose a total revenue stream of $650 million across the state.

I believe in tax cuts, but I’m not sure I understand how local governments are going to see this tax cut create more revenue for them. Sales tax receipts may go up, but I don’t see local governments making up their losses there. It seems to me that the state would see the most of the increased revenue while the ad valorem revenue would be taken away largely from counties and cities.

To me, this just seems like a redistribution of revenue from the local government to the state, leaving local governments to raise property taxes and institute SPLOST programs to make up the difference.

Am I missing something? I want my taxes to go down, and I don’t like taxes that are levied based on the value of a vehicle I own. However, I don’t see the tax structure changing to allow local governments to see the benefit of increased revenue generated by the tax cut.

What say you?

12. midgajim says:

Hey, Earl – if you think that Casey is not going to be popular w/ Republicans, why don’t you and/or the speaker run against him in 2010? That would be great – he’d clean your clock. Either or both of you.

State Senate: class. State House: chaos.

13. rightofcenter says:

Ol’ Earl,
    Perhaps you need to re-read your history. Reagan didn’t tinker around the edges on tax reform. His whole plan was based on decreasing the marginal income tax rates, not on giving a pittance back like the car tax. Get real. This will not have anything to do with growing the economy of Georgia. Your Obama comments really prove that you are indeed an idiot. Perhaps you didn’t read Reagan’s 11th Commandment. Perhaps it is YOU who isn’t the real Republican.

14. Chris says:

Wholesale reform of the income tax will require the support of our Democrat Governor. Earl/Glenn/Mark’s plan only requires the support of the Senate and the People – both of which are much more conservative.

I think the house is on the right track getting rid of the car tax. I don’t think the supply-side effects will be as great as the esteemed Rules Chairman/Blogger indicates, but it is a good first step to reducing the budget and scope of state government.

Earl: can you explain the differences between the House passed HR1246 and the Senate passed SR796?

15. tinsandwich says:

Oh my, I never thought that I would hear anyone refer to my hard earned money as a “pittance”. This is real simple.

1. I do not want to pay more taxes .
    2. I do not care if gov. has to do with out my money.

No one cares about a reasoned tax plan that takes 100 years to develop. How about some action in my life time? The Lt. Gov. and the Gov. will be the reason we do not see another Rep. Gov. again in twenty to fifty years. He can raise all the money in the world, ask Barnes how well that works!

Listen, folks the average Georgian does not think there is a diff. between the parties anymore. This is more validation for that.
    I guess the only good part of this whole sorry deal is that I told my wife if she stuck with me we would be wealthy one day. According to the Gov. I have kept my promise (on paper)

16. rightofcenter says:

Well, ask Guy Millner how well the ax the car tax thing worked for him. The speaker and Earl never discussed a cut in income tax…..a tax that actually effects state government, as opposed to the counties. And since when has a fear of a veto ever stopped the house from passing anything? As for the comment about costing the governorship for decades? Get a grip on reality, bub.

17. Warrior says:

T think the Senate will respond soon and will respond as true conservatives. I trust them. They have been more fiscally conservative than the House on spending. They passed SR 20 to limit future state spending. They passed property tax freezes. They passed income tax and property tax cuts. All still in House.