And Lite Gov. Weighs In

I think Casey and Sonny are tag-teaming on the Glenn GREAT Plan.

From his office comes this statement:

“The House has passed a plan that needlessly delays tax relief for over a year, and doesn’t provide the full amount of relief for two years. Georgia workers are at risk of losing their jobs right now due to the economic downturn. Why are we waiting two years to cut taxes instead of having the courage to do it right now?

”I am interested in working with the House on a broad economic stimulus plan that will create jobs today. I believe we can develop a plan that cuts taxes for every Georgian, regardless of whether they drive an old Ford truck or a shiny new Porsche. The Senate also strongly believes in capping property tax assessments, and we have already passed two constitutional amendments doing exactly that. These are the issues that truly matter to Georgia families, and it is time to get serious about the business of creating jobs for Georgia by providing broad tax relief to all of our working citizens.“

1. BobG says:

No, Casey, you cannot develop a plan “that cuts taxes for every Georgian” because you do not understand the simplest aspects of the property tax. That’s why the Senate can approve two assessment caps that will shift the tax burden from the owner of the Porsche to the owner of the old truck. But then, maybe that’s the whole purpose…

See MillageRate.com for what Casey (and the Governor, for that matter) do not know.

2. jsm says:

Why should someone who owns a Porsche pay more just for owning a more expensive vehicle? He paid income taxes on the money he bought it with and paid big sales taxes if he bought it from a dealer.

Taxes should NOT be based on what a person owns.

3. rightofcenter says:

Can we please get a leader in the House who can come up with a reasoned tax reform package that is real reform that has a chance of passage? The Gov. is right…….the Wright Brothers analogy is very apt.

4. BobG says:

If the State Legislature wants to achieve true property tax REFORM (meaning “changing what is, to make it better”), there is only one way to truly make a difference, and it is described at MillageRate.com.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the simple correction of a flaw in the current law would immediately ELIMINATE the problems that the Legislature has attempted to address… not only during this session but as far back as Roy Barnes’ “Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights.”

Replacing the property tax with a sales tax is a different story… but it’s not reform.

5. bowersville says:

Cagle: ” I’m interested in working…. on a broad economic stimulas package…” Roar. Cagle “believes[s] in a property tax cap.” Roar.

Listen to my roar, ignore my I didn’t cut taxing and spending. Roar.

6. Icarus says:

uga6, Bowersville,

I’ll just casually remind you both that it was Cagle who reminded both the Governor and the Speaker last year that each had run on a platform to eliminate the supplemental budget. The governor threw a temper tantrum and said “go fish”, the Speaker insisted that the money should be returned in the form of “much needed local projects”.

Casey might not be perfect, but the other two make him look like a pure genius, a fiscal hawk, and a Rhodes Scholar.

7. bowersville says:

I have a strong admiration for Cagle, I just wish he would step up and slap both of their jaws with an economic tax reduction and spending plan.

Cagle has it in him, he just appears to be taking the middle (high) ground between the two. Cagle needs to realize he has the uhzpaah

8. bowersville says:

Cagle has it in him, he just appears to be taking the middle (high) ground between the two. Cagle needs to realize he has the huzpah.