Red State endorses Paul Broun

The Directors at Red State have endorsed Paul Broun:

In the battle between left v. right, squishes v. conservatives, status quo vs. trench fighter of the right, establishment Republican vs. grassroots leader, we have two candidates in the GOP challenging Paul Broun for his district — and only Broun is the right conservative trench fighter who is also a grassroots leader. All the others are out to get him simply because he is not part of the status quo, out of touch establishment. In an age of GOP despondency caused by fiscal recklessness and the selling out of conservative values, you would think the Republican Party would line up behind a guy like Paul Broun — a die hard social and fiscal conservative. You would be wrong. The establishment wants a party man, not a conservative.
[…]
Broun has two primary opponents — Barry Fleming and Nancy Schaefer. They are both good people, but Fleming is a party man through and through. He craves leadership and will not be a conservative fighter against a drifting GOP establishment. Nancy Schaefer is a social conservative, but, in her years in the Georgia General Assembly, has done little to lead and has been an ineffective campaigner. And frankly, we give credence to the rumors that Schaefer is in the race to hurt Broun — putting her party ties ahead of conservative conviction.

In past years we have not been so bold as to say this, but we will do so now: if you can only give to one issue, cause, or campaign this year, Paul Broun‘s re-election effort should be it. He needs all the help he can get. And make no mistake, he is one of us through and through.

Barry Fleming represents everything that is wrong with the Republican Party in the Georgia General Assembly. He is the establishment’s candidate (this is evident by his receiving more than $50,000 from current and former legislators), more concerned with politics than reducing the size of government or cutting spending.

If you have a few extra dollars, please consider making a donation to Dr. Broun.

1. bowersville says:

“…we give credence to the rumors that Shaefer is in the race to hurt Broun…”

I’ve heard that rumor.

“Nancy Scheafer….in her years…has done little to lead, and has been…ineffective…”

IMHO, one can consider both and come to the question. Has the 50th Senate Seat come open to gain effective leadership?

I’ve heard that rumor also.

2. CHelf says:

I wonder how many Gator (and other non-GA universities) alumni will be donating to Broun. Broun could potentially increase his “outside the district” donor list just on the license plate issue. Perhaps he should be soliciting all of the GA based alumni associations. He may not have anything to do with it but aiding the enemy of your enemy is always a proven strategy.

3. Donkey Kong says:

Paul Broun is the man. I’m a registered ACC voter and will be voting for Mr. Broun. I’ll be donating time and, well, money if I can scrounge some up in time.

4. drjay says:

i’m glad that they at least, in their own round about mildly amusing way, acknowledge the irony of broun being the most ron paul like member of congress not named ron paul…

5. Romegaguy says:

RedState should spend some time trying to get Paul Broun sworn in before working on getting him re-elected

6. Donkey Kong says:

Bill,

ACC = Athens Clarke County

🙂

If it were the sports ACC, I’d withdraw. I don’t like losing teams.

7. Goldwater Conservative says:

martinlutherstreet, Broun is the Johnny come lately.

Fleming has been involved in some aspect of public service for his entire adult life.

8. drjay says:

fleming does have a decent resume–i lived in columbia county when he was on the commision and remember him as being competent–he has some legacy like broun as i beleive flemin’s dad was once mayor of harlem as well. broun won a bizaare special election. it is not unreasonable to see a primary challenge his 1st time out…if he can convince the voters he’s doing a god job then it should not matter. more contested elections are better than fewer in general.

9. bowersville says:

Fleming does have a decent resume but Redstate.com is trashing him today for his GOP party establishment ties.

Eliot [Ness] Spitz quickly knocked this endorsement to pg 2.

But it’s back, rewritten, and comes out swinging against Fleming and Schaefer. The article points out Broun may be the social conservative libertarian fiscal conservative type person the 10th needs. And the GOP for that matter.

10. IndyInjun says:

Fleming’s involvement with GREAT does not really give one guidance with regard to fiscal responsibility.

Anyone care to comment either way?

I am undecided and most of my usual allies are in the Fleming camp. Right now my analysis is stuck on split.

11. drjay says:

fleming is younger and probably should have run in the special instead of defering to whitehead–who redstate proudly endorsed and touted his conservative virtues-even thought he was the the “establishment candidate” at the time–its too bad the staters are trying to nationalize a local race like the kossacks did w/ lieberman and lamont in 06

12. bowersville says:

Let’s start here. The article states “Broun has worked to turn off the earmark spigots.” What Fleming’s position on earmarks?

The article goes on “Rumors are swirling in the media that Tom Cole (R-OK), the Chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), is privately backing Fleming…”

If this is true, the election is already nationalized. Has anyone heard what Fleming is saying about the rumors that NRCC Chairman Tom Cole privately backing him?

13. bowersville says:

I have not made up my mind on my vote or support for the 1oth.

But to me, Schaefer is a non-starter. If she had primary opposition for the 50th Senate this cycle, she would have lost.

14. IndyInjun says:

NRCC Chair Cole is on thin ice himself, being outraised 5:1 by the opposition, with Boehner attacking some of his staff.

The last election nearly took him out, if I recall correctly.

15. Holly says:

The NRCC’s stated position has been all cycle that they will not get involved in primaries. I am not privy to Tom Cole’s personal preference on this race, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say that because he opposes or supports something privately that the NRCC automatically has the same position. But it’s worth noting, I think, that Cole has gotten some heat for not having the NRCC jump into the Gilchrest and Harris primary in Maryland. Why on earth would the NRCC get involved in GA-10’s primary, which is a Republican hold in November no matter who wins, if they wouldn’t get involved in a primary for a seat that could go either way in the fall?

16. Donkey Kong says:

“I am undecided and most of my usual allies are in the Fleming camp.”

So are mine, Indy. It was the same way with Whitehead, and that’s largely why I supported Whitehead over Broun. This time, there are a few more allies/friends in the Broun camp. Still, nearly every House member that I respect and admire supports Fleming. Then again, so do those that I don’t. Truth is, I think Fleming is a great guy — but I think Broun will help push the party in right direction, whereas Fleming, as good of a guy that he is, will be less likely to buck the trend in the party of embracing fiscal irresponsibility.

17. bowersville says:

The problem I have is I didn’t like Broun’s run up to the special. That being said, I very vocally on this board called for Barry Fleming to run and behind the scenes I was told “Whitehead is the man.” I went with Whitehead. I was disappointed that Fleming caved to the establishment. I have the same worry now. Will he go along just to get along once he is in Washington? It’s looking that way.

I don’t like what I read on Fleming’s website about the town hall calls. I got mail from Dr. Norwood on a regular basis on Congressional letterheads. I detest what I’m hearing about Broun’s vote on medicinal marijuana. Those same people facing death by cancer would accept a morphine drip and wouldn’t want the FEDERAL POLICE running in here and saying they couldn’t. But I don’t too much worry about that because Fleming and Schaefer will split those votes. Votes that Fleming would have got anyway.

I’m sick of hearing “Anybody but Broun, he’s a nut.” This shows no substance.

The earmarks issue is an issue, even in the 10th, like it or not. Times are tough. No matter how noble the cause(FT. Gordon, etc.), earmarks need to be moved to the normal debate in the budget process.

I still haven’t made up my mind, you can tell I’m leaning so convince me.

18. Goldwater Conservative says:

I will throw my 2 cents in, mostly because this is one of the most intelligent and non-irrational debates/discussions I have seen on PP in a while.

The earmarks thing has been blown way out of proportion. I think that if more people looked at the history of their use, they will find that it is mostly positive. A few bad/excessive appropriations have blown this way out of perspective. The deficit is a problem, but “earmarks” have not caused the deficit. I think giving out tax rebates, then cutting taxes, then going to war, then giving out more tax rebates is just a recipe for our fiscal disaster. Obviously we could not have forseen various economic events, and certainly not 9/11, but perhaps if the GOP were fiscally conservative…we would not be in this hole that was dug. In addition to that, there used to be this idea…and it worked so well when I was a child…that earmarks could be used to create new jobs. People were put to work, paid taxes, supported their families…and so on. Then a lot of GOPers got angry about that plan actually working and started calling it socialism. Well, when the capitalist system downsizes jobs and exports them over seas because the U.S. has standards…may be we need a little bit of social responsibility to be taken into consideration. I refuse to let my country force family’s to have their 5 year old children sowing soccer balls for 4cents an hour.

Donkey makes an interesting point, and I do not mean to seem disagreable, but I do disagree with the idea that Broun is pushing the party in the right direction. I do not agree with a lot that Fleming stands for, and I will not fuel a separate debate about some of his issues, but I think the Republican party is going to be pushed into a position that it will not recover from if we continue to let religious issues dominate the agenda. There is a reason why the DCCC and DSCC is raising much more money than its majority should allow. The same applies to the Democrat’s candidates, presidential. While we, and the public, hear a lot about moral (christian) issues…it is a marginal group in the party. They just speak very loudly. The front of the GOP is becoming less about promoting business and stabilizing our economy and more about abortion, gay marriage and prayer in schools…the list goes on.

What I am getting at is that the “conservative” movement has fractured the GOP into a few factions…just like the Democrats. WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS AN OVERGENERALIZATION:
    The Democrats have had to create coalitions, much longer than the GOP has had to, if they intend to win. It is because there is no base. The democrats have a coalition of: Labor, Jews, African Americans, Environmentalists, Attorneys, the poor, college professors, journalists, and so on…just remember all those stereotypes that Limbaugh throws out there. The GOP has been held together for a while because they are: “American,” Christian, White, and angry at the Democrats….but it is breaking apart because of all the single issue groups that are taking the party hostage.

That is why I think Fleming will be best for the GOP. His appeal is broad and not fueled by one or two interests. We all know that either Broun or Fleming will be our congressman next session. Schaefer is absolutely out of her mind and so is Saxon. Neither will be able to advertise enough to get their name out, nor are they congressional material. Schaefer was not state senate material…but somehow she got there…kind of like how broun made it to d.c.

19. Donkey Kong says:

“But I don’t too much worry about that because Fleming and Schaefer will split those votes. Votes that Fleming would have got anyway.”

Completely agree. My first reaction was that this will help Broun and hurt Fleming. Apparently my reaction was different from that of most others.

“The front of the GOP is becoming less about promoting business and stabilizing our economy and more about abortion, gay marriage and prayer in schools…the list goes on.”

I have a lot of sympathy with your view. I am very much in agreement that the GOP has wandered away from focusing on the economy and business towards social issues, and at their own detriment. That said, Broun’s policy is to cut spending and cut taxes — entirely pro-business. Now, most Republicans want to cut taxes, but few want to cut spending. There is room to argue about the effectiveness of refusing earmarks, but Broun is really one of the few who is trying to cut spending, and is doing it at a detriment to himself. His policy is that a smaller government is a better government. Broun may not speak in corporate language, but the impact of his policy is very much pro-business.

20. bowersville says:

“Schaefer was not state senate material…but some how she got there…”

We weren’t given much choice, Schaefer, a trial attorney and a unknown school administrator in the primary and Schaefer v another unknown school administrator in the general.

The democrat, Carol Jackson, would’ve won over Schaefer had she[Jackson] not been redistricted out of the 50th.

The trial attorney who showed great potential attacked without establishing any credibility outside his home county. [There is a lesson in this somewhere]

21. Bill Simon says:

However…one wonders what Broun would be like IF this was back in the days of the House being controlled by the GOP.

I suspect Broun would have been just like the other GOP cowards and voted for every budget DeLay and Hastert wanted them to vote for, and damn the concept of fiscal conservatism.

22. Dave Bearse says:

There’s the Kingston example… He’s changed his tune on earmarks, a real principled stand now that the GOP is in the minority. LOL