Something for tonight

This is not Georgia related. Fair Warning.

A good friend who is a very reputable pollster not named Zogby tells me that in Texas, the nonpartisan polling firms are not doing significant Spanish language polling. Doing so would better capture the level of support Obama and Hillary have in the Hispanic community. His assessment of this, and mine, is that a close race is to Hillary’s advantage.

1. juliobarrios says:

I wonder how many people who do not speak enough English to answer some simple polling questions are US citizens?

2. juliobarrios says:

To answer my own question, I would guess very few people who don’t speak basic English are US Citizens. Either you were born in the country, received amnesty in 1986, or have gone through quite a long and thorough process to receive citizenship. I realize there are exceptions, but for the most part you’ve probably lived in this country long enough to learn basic English.

The main exception I can think of is marriage. Keep in mind you can no longer become a citizen simply by marrying an American. It’s a fairly involved process that includes proving you never lived in the US as an illegal. So you either had to meet someone here on a Visa / Green Card or you met your spouse in another country.

So if this group of non-english speaking people is so large it could effect polling – are a significant number of non-citizens voting for the next President of the US?

3. drjay says:

from the time i’ve spent in texas i would say there is a statistically signifigant amt. for whom english is not their primary language that are in fact citizens, as such a pollster asking questions might not get good answers as the folks polled may just answer well enough to get the pollster off the phone w/out giving any useful information to them…

4. juliobarrios says:

I specifically stated a US Citizen who could not speak basic english, which is far different than english not as a primary language.

Polling questions are written for absolute morons. Anyone who speaks passable English ought to be able to comprehend them.

5. John Konop says:

I heard it is an age issue. The young Hispanics are breaking toward Obama and the older toward Billary. This is what we have seen everywhere else? I think the key will be turn out by age.

6. drjay says:

i’ve been polled and jsut to basically ask me if i was going to vote for sonny or taylor and cagle or martin i was asked about 20 questions about favorable/unfavorable opinions of people, of policies, my opinion about various issues, if i was a likely voter etc…for someone that does not speak english as a primary language some of that may get lost in translation–and on a purely anecdotal note i know people (relatives of my spouse) born in corpus cristi texas that do not speak a lick of english or have any interest in learning it and that we have to speak spanish to in order to communicate

7. Goldwater Conservative says:

What about Brighton Beach? I lived there for a while and half the people there do not speak English…they speak Russian. Lets stop beating up on the Latino population. I am not certain where all of your families are from and when they came here, but it is not unusual to be born in this country and not speak english. Historically it can take a generation or two. My family was like this. My great grand parents came here from Holland and never learned english, my grandparents hardly spoke english and they were born in upstate new york. Ethnic neighborhoods. They are comfortable places for foreigners.

8. juliobarrios says:

“My great grand parents came here from Holland and never learned english, my grandparents hardly spoke english and they were born in upstate new york. Ethnic neighborhoods. They are comfortable places for foreigners.”

I agree wholeheartedly with what you just said. But times are a little different now. I realize there are exceptions, but children are now supposed to go to school and learn a passable form of English. I’ve got a friend who teaches at an elementary school which is majority hispanic. At first the kids don’t speak any English, but over time they end up being translators for their parents.

I’ve got quite a bit of exposure to illegal immigrants through friends and family in Georgia and Texas. Without exception, their children have learned English by the time they reach 18 (some better than others).

My wife and I know a woman who is illegal. Her daughter came with the woman when she was two years old, so the daughter is illegal. The daughter is now 17 and for all intents and purposes is an American. She speaks perfect English and would have no more comfort level living in Mexico than any of us. She’s made straight A’s her entire life and would be guaranteed a college scholarship. She had no choice in being brought to the US, but is now a second class citizen who cannot drive, cannot work, and will be unable to go to college. I don’t have much sympathy for adults who came her illegally and now demand citizenship, but my heart goes out to the kids who had no choice in the matter. I wish exceptions could be granted for the kids.

I know folks on this thread want to bring up Russians and there Great Grandparents. It’s irrelevant to Hispanics in Texas as they are not getting off on Ellis Island and becoming citizens.

Times are different now, it’s just a fact (I know the knee jerk reaction is to imply I’m an immigrant hater), and it’s much harder to gain citizenship then when are great grandparents lived in a NY ghetto.

I’ve got to stand by my original statement, if you only speak Spanish (without the ability to communicate in basic English) you are probably illegal. Rightly or wrongly, this is due to the few paths to citizenship that are available to latino immigrants.

9. bowersville says:

I’ve got a news flash, the Hispanic population has been in Texas long before us gringos kicked Santa Anna out of the northern territories of Mexico and drove his army back across the Rio Grande.

Hint/clue: If you travel to the frontier and visit those border towns like El Paso and Brownsville et al, know your Spanish. Some of those folks have been there for four hundred years on the same land and damn, they speak Spanish only. All the gringos are bi-lingual. Comprehend?