“Give our Georgia Friends a Drink Day”

“[T]he leaders of Georgia have assembled like the Children of Israel in the desert, grumbled among themselves and have begun to cast longing eyes toward the north, coveting their neighbor’s assets…” – Chattanooga Mayor Ron Littlefield

The Mayor of Chattanooga has a sense of humor:

The city of Chattanooga, facing a possible Georgia land grab as part of an effort to get access to the Tennessee River, is sending a truck load of bottled water to Atlanta.

Mayor Ron Littlefield said the water will be delivered on Wednesday by his aide Matt Lea wearing a coonskin cap.

The mayor has officially proclaimed Feb. 27, 2008, as “Give our Georgia Friends a Drink Day.” The proclamation comes as a result of the Georgia Legislature passing a joint resolution that seeks to pursue reestablishing the boundary between Georgia and Tennessee.

The truck load of bottled water along with the proclamation will be delivered to the Georgia Legislature Wednesday morning.

Say what you want, but that is hilarious.

1. Romegaguy says:

be funnier if he gets arrested by APD for giving away food without the proper licenses…

of course they arent going to send it in on Sunday because we cant drink on Sundays

2. Rick Day says:

Frankly I am embarrassed our ‘leaders are getting PWN3D’ on this issue.

Can’t you guys come up with some plan, like damming the Toccoa River so it starves off the Ocsee (Lake Copperhill, anyone?)

or perhaps

hauling 70 bus loads of A-T-L homeless to Hickory Valley (a la New Orleans) with the promise of “40 acres and a mule just ask any white-folk you meet”??

~elect me, I’ll show ya how to be the real deal~

3. ksuowls81 says:

Rumor has it that the water is going to be laced with something. Tennessee is trying a preemptive strike on Georgia by poisoning all of our legislators. To quote one of my favorite singers Dave Matthews “Don’t Drink the Water/ There’s blood in the water”

4. AubieTurtle says:

Jack Daniels doesn’t taste good if it is given away free by anyone other than lobbyists.

I heard an interesting angle on this the other day… just because the state gave up rights to the land through inaction over the years, the water rights are governed by much different laws. Georgia, if it can be proved the boundary was set incorrectly, would still have a legitimate claim on the water rights, which is what the state wants anyway.

Of course, that might have been wishful thinking or spin on the part of the person who told me.

5. Bill Simon says:

Re Jason’s Tube link…I find it fascinating that a lot of these fire-and-brimstone types all seem to display a reflection of the OLD TESTAMENT teachings rather than their self-avowed New Testament teachings.

Obama’s a Christian, but because his father was a Muslim, he had the “Hussein” name as his middle name.

Yet, I guess it’s easier to remain ignorant and…do…what’s that expression I’m thinking of….ah, “Do as I say, not as I do.”

6. AubieTurtle says:

1 Timothy Chapter 2 Verses 12-15

12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
    13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
    15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Doesn’t sound to me like the Bible wants them to vote or be teachers, much less preachers. How can the minister in the video run a fundamentalist church without sticking to the fundamentals? How can the state hire so many female teachers, in defiance of the Bible, but then get all wrapped up in preventing the sale of a drink that Jesus himself shared with all his friends?

7. ksuowls81 says:

Taking it back to the original topic, I am down here at the capitol and I happened to be walking outside and I saw the gentleman dressed in his coonskin hat delivering the water. It was rather funny, but you know he has to be hating Atlanta traffic if he tried to make it down here this morning.

8. Trevor Southerland says:

Chattanooga traffic, though smaller inside the city, is actually just as bad if not often times worse than Atlanta traffic.

9. Doug Deal says:

Don’t you know, they believe the New Testament applies to them, the Old Testament to everyone else.