Another Tennessean tells us where to go.

Girl From the South has no sympathy on our plight:

This is an ingenious way of dealing with the stupidity of not establishing your state capital near a large body of water. Look at a map and see that all 4 “big” cities in Tennessee are on rivers. Apparently, we’re smarter than Georgians. I guess they didn’t have Oregon Trail to help them out with that crucial information when Atlanta was settled.

It sucks for Georgia that the drought has dried them out, but this isn’t a new problem. They’ve known for a while that the aquifer supplying Atlanta was depleting. Remember Mayor Kinsey and the Tennessee-American Water Co. scandal back in the early 90s? That was fought over Atlanta’s access to the Tennessee River. Why didn’t they do something before it reached crisis level? Atlanta is an urban sprawl nightmare.

St. Elmo’s cool factor greatly decreases if it’s no longer part of Chattanooga. Who wants to live in Walker County? What about the mountain crowd? Lookout Mountain, TN is supposed to be superior to Lookout Mountain, GA. This could have ramifications that shake the foundation of Chattanooga’s social scene. I’m also sickened that I may have lived in the same state as Uga for 1.5 years.

I’m amused, but also alarmed. Georgia be damned. That’s our water, and you can pry it out of our cold, dead fingers. Sherman took y’all down once. It can happen again. You don’t mess with the Volunteer State.

I really want to stand at the Georgia border with a supersoaker and mock Georgians. We have enough water in Tennessee to have watergun fights.

Chattanooga has a social scene? Huh, I never knew.

1. Rick Day says:

I’ll have to ask the mizzus for permission first, but frankly, I’m overwhelmed with the desire to bed this woman!

She asks a good question. Just who would want to live in Walker County, Armpit ‘o Georgia?

2. shep1975 says:

You know how in the olden days, they would send the messenger back tied to his horse, riding without his head?

All I can say is I almost feel sorry for that poor truck driver.

3. Goldwater Conservative says:

I wonder if she knows why major cities used to be built on rivers and other water ways. Before modern forms of transportation the most efficient way to transport goods was by water. It also provided adequate supplies of water for farming and general consumption.

Seeing as how Georgia modernized much quicker than Tennessee, we subsequently began developing in areas away from rivers and creating lakes to provide water to our citizens.

Much of this can be attributed to reconstruction and the selling off of farm land during the depression.

Silly Tennesseans and their one-sided thinking.

4. Tekneek says:

Damn. Somebody who is going to call it just what it is. Georgia, like many entities in this country, was borrowing from tomorrow to pay for today. Only they were doing it with water.

It was effectively a ponzi scheme, with the hope that it would never catch up to them. They hoped to find some alternative water sources before they were forced to. They had to know they were overdeveloping the area, unless they are totally incompetent and then should at least admit it. One thing I would think everybody can admit about this situation is that Georgia was woefully prepared for this type of situation, despite the threat of it being out there for years. The Governor PRAYED for rain. That act alone shows how little logical thought and emergency/disaster planning, or risk analysis, was done on the water supply situation.

5. debbie0040 says:

I used to live in Chattanooga and it is a cesspool . I did not realize it even had a social scene. She must be referring to Lake Winnepesaukah.

6. CobbGOPer says:

Whatever. It doesn’t change the fact that according to law and the US Congress, the border of Tennessee and Georgia is wrong. It’s time we took it seriously.

7. ChuckEaton says:

While many want to blame metro-Atlanta and its emerald green lawns for our water woes, the metro area’s water usage is peanuts compared to what is flushed into the ocean.

8. Tekneek says:

I am not blaming the lawns and pools. I am blaming development that exceeds our resources, which would very easily address the use involved with toilets and sinks, which are in virtually every house and business constructed.

9. Demonbeck says:

What does Tennessee need the river for? It’s not like they have indoor plumbing in that state anyway.

10. Demonbeck says:

I usually use a different mixer than water.

I really don’t see why this is such a problem. I mean Coke and Jack Daniels have gone together so well for years. What’s the problem with adding a little more Jack Daniels to our Coke?