For All The Delta Haters

– Primary oxygen tank empty/broken
– Secondary oxygen tank empty/broken
– Defibrilator inoperative
– Woman dies
– Don’t divert to Miami, continue to NYC
– Dead body on First Class floor

It’s a domestic airline but not the one Erick loves to bash…

1. StevePerkins says:

The fact that American Airlines made the FIRST CLASS a-holes ride with the corpse is the only part of this fiasco that I support them on.

I’m going to hell for commenting on this thread at all.

2. gatormathis says:

StevePerkins // Feb 25, 2008 at 11:13 am

Maybe she paid for a 1st class ticket.

I guess it would have been bad to be put off in Miami and then have to hoof it the rest of the way in.

Makes you wonder about the fire extinguishers and all the other saftey equipment.

Hell, this plane probably needs to check the air in the tires………..

3. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

StevePerkins // Feb 25, 2008 at 11:13 am

Spoken like a true Liberal…lol
    What’s your problem with the first class passengers though?

4. StevePerkins says:

Not everything is a matter of political philosophy, Loyalty. It’s just that I used to do 100% travel for my job, lived out of airports every week, and found first-class passengers to generally be dicks. Nothing right-wing or left-wing about it.

5. IndyInjun says:

The bus Delta put me on did not even have airbags, let alone oxygen tanks. In those days the Delta slogan should have been “we love to drive and it shows.”

6. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Steve, I didn’t mean it in the political sense…just having fun. On the rare ocassions that I have flown first class, I’ve had no issues with the first-classers…but I do take full advantage of the free flowing alcohol

7. Doug Deal says:

Steve,

It’s because usually those 1st class passengers aren’t paying their own bill to sit there. You would pretty much have to be stupid to pay up to 10 times the price of coach to fly to the same destination for 2-6 hours in the air. I think most are just upgrades from steeragecoach.

Personally, as someone who is nearly 6’4″, I would prefer if they just got rid of 1st class, and put in a section with longer leg room. I would gladly pay 30% more for 30% more leg room, but several times for silly 1st class service is a huge waste of money.

8. StevePerkins says:

I would definitely pay 30% or more for a halfway decent flying experience. I only travel for personal reasons once in a blue moon, and when I travel for business someone else picks up the tab (and maybe that would discourage companies from sending people on unnecessary trips that could be handled by phone). The Wal-Mart-ization of air travel has reached a level where I’d rather go to the dentist than head to the airport for a two hour flight.

9. IndyInjun says:

CNN should have interviewed me when I got off the Delta bus, the last time I stupidly flew on that miserable air/bus line.

Instead of that red triangle on the tail, they need to paint a greyhound.

10. Clayton says:

@Doug – You would be surprised how many folks in FC actually pay for those seats. I know that I am one of them. I tend to book my travel at the last minute, when discounts are mostly gone, so I end up paying the full fare refundable (since my plans change so frequently). That fare – called an “A” fare – gives you a FC seat at (granted, expensive) coach prices. An educated guess is that 60-70% of FC seats are paid versus upgrade these days on Delta.

@Everyone – Yes CNN and AA are reporting that the equipment was in fact working.

11. drjay says:

the defibrilator could have been working just fine –but if the patient does not have a “shockable rhythm” it will not fire–the idea is for aeds to be idiot proof so that lay people in malls and on airplanes don’t shock people who have simply passed out or have an atrial dysrhythmia instead of a ventral one and other such cases

12. drjay says:

also the o2 tanks may have been full and the regulator not working right or the patient was in such bad shape the o2 wan’t helping any–sometimes you do everything exactly right and patients die anyway–its one of the reasons i left nursing and went to dental school

13. JasonW says:

I agree with Dr. Jay. After reading both the family’s side and American Airlines side, I have to side with American Airlines. From the doctors that were on board’s reactions I tend to think that everything was working properly and the family doesn’t want to admit that.

14. Doug Deal says:

Clayton aka Mr. Moneybags

Do you pay for it, or does your company/client? What I mean is that most of them have it paid for by someone else or get an upgrade.

Airtran does have a “FC” of sorts that I have actually paid for, but it is only $25 over a full priced coach ticket, which on AT is pretty cheap.