If you are angry, see Clint Austin and Tony Simon

This smells like their idea. Bary Fleming’s proposal would require reciprocity among the states. If Florida fans want a Gators plate, Florida should allow a Georgia plate.

Fleming’s proposal drew strong bipartisan support in a legislative chamber where Democrats and Republicans usually conduct themselves as opposing teams.

The bill, which passed 142-10, could prevent Georgia officials from issuing new University of Florida tags. Residents who already have their Florida vanity plates would lose them when they need to be replaced, unless an agreement is hashed out.

The bill now goes to the Senate, where it enjoys the support of the chamber’s leaders.

Of course, what happens if Florida allows a Tech plate, but not a UGA plate?

1. Burdell says:

It’s worth noting that according to the article, Bobby Franklin is acting as the voice of reason here.

Given President Bush’s State of the Union address, it seems strange indeed that a Republican Legislature is proposing giving up a voluntary tax.

But then again, we really should quit being surprised this session. For an election year, the Republican leadership are being awfully flagrant about their true colors.

2. Bill Simon says:

Why is the State of Georgia always last in education in the US? Sh*t like this demonstrates the collective IQ capacity of who is elected to office, and who elects them.

3. Bill Simon says:

I must say…since this is Fleming’s idea of a demonstration of intelligence, I hereby move my support to the guy who’s yet to be sworn-into that district…Paul Broun…unless Broun pipes-up with anything like this moronic display.

4. Bill Simon says:

Okay, Icarus…I’ll start by writing daily affirmations like:

Georgia is the greatest state in the country.

Georgia has the smartest politicians in the whole world.

I am the greatest PeachPundit.com blogger there is.

5. Demonbeck says:

… and if Florida should allow a Georgia convicted felon plate, Georgia could reciprocate with a University of Miami tag.

6. StevePerkins says:

I’m sick to death of endless talk about tax schemes with no ties to spending reform, abortion and child predator laws that are passed with full knowledge that they won’t hold up in court, and fluff bills about football playoffs and vanity license plates.

What’s going on with education? Transportation and infrastructure? Can we come up with any water plan other that going to war with Tennessee, which even if successful wouldn’t get water to Atlanta until about 20 years from now?

I’ve been literally EMBARRASSED to be a Georgian over the past year. As long as the GOP holds on to the Governor’s mansion, it wouldn’t bother me one iota to see the Dems take the Legislature back. The sad but true fact is that the Republicans simply operates better as an opposition party than they do when asked to actually lead.

7. Tommy_a2b says:

StevePerkins, I have a suggestion. Move your happy self somewhere else. You know the grass is always greener over there. Please make sure to take SpaceyG with ya.

P.S. What does this have to do with Clint Austin and Tony Simon?

8. StevePerkins says:

The fact that most Southern states are run even worse than Georgia does not take away from the reality that our state could be run better. In the 21st Century, are people STILL pulling that “If you don’t like it you can get out!” hillbilly crap out of their rears? Talk about the ultimate non-response… that’s virtually brain-dead.

9. Tommy_a2b says:

Man Steve, it’s Friday, you gotta know it is my job to harrass you. Sorry I caught you on the wrong day. As Doc Holliday says, “now we can be friends.”

10. StevePerkins says:

Don’t be silly man, it’s a political blog and all this stuff is at least a bit tongue-in-cheek. I seldom take jabs at people here that I don’t like.

(I even have respect for Erick, although I would never admit to such outside of parentheses. Somehow, it doesn’t count when it’s in parentheses.)

11. Jace Walden says:

Steve,

You never take jabs at me. Does this mean we’re not friends anymore. Why, if thought that you weren’t my friend, I don’t think I could bear it.

12. rugby fan says:

25% of your wins against FSU have come in the past two years, arguably FSU’s two most embarrassing years.

Those are also the only wins Wake has against the ‘Noles since we joined the ACC.

13. Icarus says:

8 hours after first posting here, I remain angry, and neither Mr. Austin nor Mr. Simon have done a damn thing about it.

14. Clint Austin says:

Icarus,

Why so cross?

I think we have a classic case of “projection” here. Folks here are all insiders who are plugged in and torqued up about other things with the General Assembly, so this is a good thing to take it out on.

No other explanation for otherwise rational Georgians to gripe about legislation that prevents our state from using our state tags to advertise for the Reptile Nation – unless the Reptiles let us use their tags to advertise for the Dawg Nation.

Or the Insect Nation. Just so Bill Simon knows we support all Georgia institutions! 🙂

15. Icarus says:

Possibly because we still have 6 months until football season begins.

The legislation doesn’t bother me at all. It’s the rest of the world.

16. Bill Simon says:

Well, THAT and Yellow Jackets can evolve to be human beings…I’m pretty sure Bulldawgs are stuck at that stage of Woof-Woofing and panting all day. 🙂

17. Redcatcher says:

It seem fairly simple to me. If you want a Florida or Auburn tag you simply pay an additional $2,000.00 for it. That money will go to the University System of Georgia. If you want a Tech tag then you pay $10,000.00. A Georgia tag will be free.

18. Icarus says:

“I’m pretty sure Bulldawgs are stuck at that stage of Woof-Woofing and panting all day. ”

And the problem with this is?

19. gatormathis says:

Bill Simon // Feb 22, 2008 at 8:48 am

I am the greatest PeachPundit.com blogger there is.

I’m still trying to figure if this was a “tongue in cheek” comment, or was Bro. Bill trying to slip this one in on us.

Some of this stuff he writes he really believes ya know.

Then again, I wonder if I can catch me one of these Florida folks needin a lil cash, and get me one of those tags……..I just like the grinnin gator on em………