How often does George Anderson go after Democrats?

February 20, 2008 12:16 pm

by Erick · 24 comments

I’m just wondering because he’s going after the Speaker now (not that I blame him) and it always seems to be Republicans that he’s going after.

An ethics watchdog has filed a motion in Paulding County Superior Court seeking to pry open records in Georgia House Speaker Glenn Richardson’s divorce.

George Anderson argued in his legal brief that sealing the documents “enacts an immediate and continuous harm to the public at large.”

At one point does he stop being an ethics watchdog and start being a Democrat watchdog.

By the way, I worked up in Rome a few years ago and tried to go by his store and meet him in person. I actually don’t mean to slight him. I think there is something kinda cool about a guy who just fires off ethics requests all the time on these issues. Annoying, for sure, for those involved, but talk about power to the people.

rugby fan February 20, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I seem to remember him filing one against Taylor in the election.

He’s a self-proclaimed citizen watchdog. Why would he go after anyone other than Republicans these days?

LoyaltyIsMyHonor February 20, 2008 at 12:41 pm

“By the way, I worked up in Rome a few years ago and tried to go by his store and meet him in person.”

Did you actually meet him? What was your impression of him? Looney or concerned citizen? Well I guess you have to be a bit looney to be a concerned citizen these days.

Hank Reardan February 20, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I remember a couple of years ago he ran for US Senate for a spot on the ticket as a Libertarian. He did not win the nomonation it went to Allen Buckley. He was a likeable guy but he was not a big L Libertarian but also he was not anti Libertarian. We thought he would you the race as a soap box and not the Libertarian Party agenda.

eehrhart February 20, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Soon to be” indicted felon” George Anderson!

Hopefully convicted and sentenced felon.

He will find that when you maliciously lie there are consequences.

Has anyone on here ever read one of his complaints.

Please do and tell me they do not remind you of the illiterate ramblings of a third grader?

NorthGeorgiaGirl February 20, 2008 at 1:33 pm

George Anderson’s wife ran against Sen. Preston Smith a few years ago. She’s a real nut. Every debate, she talked about her students who had no electricity and running water that had to spend the night at Walmart. I was personally disappointed she lost the primary…it would have been fun to bring grocery carts to all of her campaign events.

chrisishardcore February 20, 2008 at 3:21 pm

I hope one day when I am Chairman of the House Rules Committee I have better things to do than bloviate in the comments section of this blog.

OleDirtyBarrister February 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm

George has gone after Dems in the past. If you search, you will find that the AJC did an article on him several years back. At that time, he was on Terry Coleman’s case. Coleman made a remark to the AJC about Anderson something to the effect “I guess everyone has to have a hobby.”

I’ve never met George. He had a younger brother named Peter that was a good tennis player but died in a house fire in about 1988.

OleDirtyBarrister February 20, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I found something that forced me to take a second look. I looked at the House of Rep website, and apparently they have not updated it for some time. It still shows Terry Coleman as speaker for the 03-04 session.

Michael Jablonski February 20, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Earl, please! please! leave George alone. He’s my best source of business.

Recently I represented the Democratic Party, Roy Barnes, Kathy Ashe, Terry Coleman, Calvin Smyre, Patricia Dooley, and Rob Teilhet in cases filed by Georgia Anderson. I know that there have been several others in the past, as well as complaints against a number of local Democratic Parties. George filed multiple complaints against Mark Taylor but I wasn’t hired to defend them. He filed against Lewis Massey when Massey was Secretary of State. I have spoken with at least three other lawyers who were representing elected Democrats hauled before the Ethics Commission by George.

These are just off the top of my head. If I checked my files then I could come up with others.

My conclusion is that George is an equal opportunity ethics complainer. I suspect that the memory of George’s complaints against Republicans tends to linger because periodically they pay fines resulting from his allegations.

I have read too many of his complaints. They will not win a Nobel prize for literature. If he writes like a third grader (your assessment), then it is a third grader with a comprehensive knowledge of the Ethics in Government Act. (Most third graders I know would recognize the need for a question mark at the end of a sentence like “Has anyone on here ever read one of his complaints.”)

eehrhart February 20, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Chrissy, go ahead and run if you want to be Rules Chair someday.

It will be fun to watch Jill Chambers wipe the floor with you.

Michael,

Take five points off I did forget a punctuation mark.

Hmmmm comprehensive knowledge of the act huh?

With his track record, which is 0-for with me.

I would say his knowledge is confined to illiterate whining and malicious innuendo with no facts to back up his garbage.

Bill Simon February 20, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Perhaps Mr. Jablonski is really in cahoots with George Anderson to drum-up a need for his services. :-)

curt flood February 20, 2008 at 6:13 pm

George Anderson is a classic citizen watchdog: perhaps not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, a borderline gadfly, but at least as articulate on paper as the Hon. Mr. Ehrhart, judging from the Chairman’s posts here. And yes, Anderson is an equal-opportunity guy. You conservatives should remember his ethics complaints against the likes of Bill Campbell and Vernon Jones. I’ve conversed with him on several occasions; Anderson has a McKinney-esque / Richardsonesque screw-loose look in his eye sometimes. But his motivation appears to be one we should all share: that public officials, at least as much as (if not more than) the rest of us, should tremble before the law. The Hon. Mr Ehrhart’s doth protest too much.

curt flood February 20, 2008 at 6:15 pm

correcting the last sentence in the previous post: “the Hon. Mr. Ehrhart doth protest too much.”

OleDirtyBarrister February 20, 2008 at 6:22 pm

On the bright side, George Anderson has never advocated for people who can not get into a real law school but instead get a degree on the internet to be licensed to practice law and turned loose on the public.

Crazy George has voted to raise taxes on me, either.

Apparently Old Earl doesn’t realize that a lot of crap goes with the territory when elected to public office.

eehrhart February 20, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Hey Ole Dirty,

Your snarky comment about certain individuals and their relative ability vis a vis law school is interesting.

I would put the intellectual acuity and knowledge of the law of Brian Tyson and Sara larios up against any individuals of your choosing from one of your elitists snob centered schools.

If you are so sure of your premise why don’t you devise a test or find an old bar exam, and I will wager you any amount you want that these two individuals will blow away any brand new lawyers of your choice who just passed the Georgia bar.

Oh and Curt I am more than willing to tremble before the law. However it is now time that poor little Georgie also answer to the law for his crime. Lying under oath is a felony. Do you defend such behavior?

He signed and oath in an attempt to harm another. In it he lied. He must face the consequences period.

I will face any and gladly if I am ever in a similar situation.

chrisishardcore February 20, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Oh come on, Earl, “when I’m…” was a figure of speech, which I guess they were teaching in law school the same day you missed the crash course on question mark usage (per Jablonski). Besides, if I were a 20 year veteran of the House I’d hope to, at the very least, outrank my roommate/tenant by that point.

rugby fan February 20, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Earl Ehrhart is a hack and a phony.

He could easily change that with a House Resolution commending a certain Peach Pundit record.

shrike071 February 21, 2008 at 7:45 am

Earhart – don’t you have something better to do on the publics dime? Like, you know, YOUR JOB? This “my lawyer is better than your lawyer” trash is wearing thin, as are you.

Up your meds and get to work.

shrike071 February 21, 2008 at 7:46 am

Sorry for the misspell – that should have read “Ehrhart”

Skeptic Tank February 21, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Earl –

You state over and over that George Anderson “signed and oath in an attempt to harm another. In it he lied. He must face the consequences period.” Serious question here: perjury, the charge you’re leveling at Anderson, is a serious criminal offense. Have you asked a magistrate for a warrant for his arrest? Talk is cheap — do you plan to take action on this lawbreaking, if indeed Anderson broke the law? I’m sure Mr. Jablonski, an esteemed member of the Georgia Bar, could instruct you on the mechanics of swearing out an arrest warrant.

Jace Walden February 21, 2008 at 3:54 pm

I think Earl is all talk on this issue.

Icarus February 21, 2008 at 7:21 pm

THIS issue?

rugby fan February 21, 2008 at 7:35 pm

All issues.

He knows how to change my opinion of him too.

Bill Simon February 22, 2008 at 12:02 am

(good one, Icarus…)

Comments on this entry are closed.