Broun co-sponsors the Fair Tax

Congressman Paul Broun has signed on as a co-sponsor of the FairTax:

Congressman Paul Broun recently announced his co-sponsorship of H.R. 25, the “FairTax Act of 2007.” This bi-partisan legislation, which was introduced by Rep. John Linder (RGA) and Rep. Dan Boren (D-OK), repeals all corporate and individual income taxes, payroll taxes, self-employment taxes, capital gains taxes, and gift taxes in favor of the simpler, consumption-based FairTax. The FairTax would be collected at the point of sale, and its adoption would allow for the elimination of the excessively bureaucratic and needlessly intrusive Internal Revenue Service.

“Adopting the FairTax and eliminating the Internal Revenue Service are ideas whose times have come,” said Broun. “For too long the American people have been asked to comply with an incomprehensible, loophole riddled, lobbyist friendly income tax code that makes it far too easy for innocent taxpayers to find themselves left to the mercy of a punitive Internal Revenue Service. By adopting the FairTax, we can turn the tables and empower taxpayers to control how much of their money they are willing to send to Washington while also eliminating the need for the IRS. Switching to the FairTax would stimulate our economy by promoting saving and by immediately lowering the embedded costs of all goods and services. The FairTax is good for the economy, and advances my goal of limiting the size and scope of government’s reach into people’s lives. I am proud to co-sponsor this legislation, and I commend Rep. Linder for leading the effort to pass it.”

Congressman Broun is the 69th Member of Congress to agree to cosponsor this legislation.

I await comments from Indy.

1. Romegaguy says:

Doesnt he have to be sworn in to sign onto legislation?

Shirley Roper, just last week you were saying that Phuckabee had no chance of being elected (which is a rare dose of reality from you) and now you must be back off of your meds…

2. IndyInjun says:

Hahahaha…….I am reading the latest apologistia tome from Linder and Boortz this week, the one entitled FairTax:THE TRUTH, and finding it to be of the same scintillating action as that great Rushdie work, Satanic Verses.

Frankly it has been a real hoot so far, as the co-authors start out by saying never mind critiquing THE BILL, H.R. 25, that would CODIFY the Fairtax, we should take this little scheme as a GRAND CONCEPT. They then explain that the BILL can be changed, never mind one of the selling points being that the FT cannot be changed at the behest of lobbyists.

Even grander was when they started complaining about the explosion of social spending, even under the GOP, as they singled out Medicare D, A BILL THAT LINDER VOTED FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a terribly convoluted section that ‘tries’ to explain their earlier faux pas of telling folks that they get 100% of their paychecks at the same time they pitch that there is 22% embedded tax savings which includes the employee SS and Income tax withholdings within said 100% of paycheck. They shot themselves in the feet and have reloaded in an effort to blow all of their remaining toes off.

As for Broun, my congressman, he ran on the “fairtax” before, except his was at the rate of 12% instead of the sky high 30 cent on the dollar tax required by HR 25. This is evidence that Broun “gets” what Linder and Boortz are saying about HR 25 being changeable, one can only suppose.

Another way of looking at Broun’s liberties with the FAIR????Tax is that he is an apostle of the Glenn Richardson tax-reform-synthesis-on- a-wad-of cocktail-napkins approach, whereby the status of the ‘reform’ at any given time is totally subjective, in flux, and a figment of somebody’s imagination.

As with the GREAT plan, the FAIR???Tax has – unfortunately – been submitted as concrete legislation and THAT DOCUMENTATION shows a concept that is nutty as hell.

And it has in common with the GREAT plan that the HR 25 legislation run up the flagpole was shot up like a turkey by a Beretta Extrema II with a 12 shot extended magazine .

(My dream shotgun……alas the gun and the shells have a HUGE federal excise tax that the FT does not replace, BTW.)

Broun’s only saving grace is that Barry Fleming also is a Fair????taxer and he seems to be a 30% Fairtaxer.

IF Broun still wants to run on the12% Fairtax, I LOVE his “CONCEPT,” but where is his legislation?

Lock and load, I say……

3. Bill Simon says:

Indy,

Just a note intended to be of kindness to you: GOPeach has had her block knocked-off this board, and will no longer be posting.

A lot of what drove people crazy about her was her affliction with the overuse of ?????? and !!!!!!!! type of writing as if every sentence she wrote was of the utmost importance.

Three marks should be the limit, I think. After all, ??? means the same thing as ???????????????????, doesn’t it? 🙂

4. IndyInjun says:

Bill:

I am still 75 posts on this thread short of where Peach would have been already.

The Linder hypocrisy was so astounding to me that the only way to express it was with a bunch of exclamations.

Sometimes I do forget and put an extra ? in Fair???tax, as ‘official’ number is 3. For this I must be excused, as I cannot remember whether the tax is inclusive or exclusive with respect to question marks.

Your witticisms and criticisms are, AS ALWAYS, duly noted!!!!!!!!!

5. StevePerkins says:

Indy and I are in agreement more often than not, but I’m with Bill Simon on this one. Your posting style when you talk about the FairTax is so hysterical, it hurts your credibility. When you get going on a rant that’s two or three pages long, I never read them… and can’t imagine that many people do. Just make the point and move on, the theatrics hurt you.

6. IndyInjun says:

Steve,

Generally the longer posts are in response to fairtaxers equally long and tedious posts. Frankly I don’t expect many to read all that verbage., but I don’t let it go uncontested.

Go ahead. Pass the damned thing. I personally benefit from it, but just get tired of all the cheerleading without telling folks the rest of the story.

Nothing I have posted here is nearly as over-the-top as the propaganda of the hawkers.

7. joltenjoe says:

The attack on Social Spending really got me to chuckling? Is Linder attempting to rewrite history there?

NCLB
    Medicare D

These two together are costing us a whole lot of money, and Linder voted for both.

Its more of the same. Does the Tax code need to be changed? Yes, of course it does. However, I am constantly turned off of the idea becauses its main proponent is a big spending Republican.